Bbq etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
So, with the recent, and frequent threads on generator etiquette, I was thinking about my BBQ.

The BBQ we use smokes...allot. I guess all bbq's smoke allot. I also love barbecuing on my boat.

Has anybody ever had a fellow boater complain ab out their BBQ smoke???

Do you curtail your BBQ use???

Around here...most marinas prohibit BBQs on boats so not real common...and the anchor out crowd usually more them to the beach.

Never had a complaint..usually "can we join you" are the comments when I do.

Kevin, it's a matter of perspective. I was in the narrow ICW just north of Miami when I came up behind a sail boat with his grill smoking on the back rail. I did the courteous thing. I got on the radio, and said, "I'm coming around. Hold your meat." Now, wasn't that nice?:D

Last edited:
My next door neighbour tried burning the hair off a goats head once on the BBQ .
I threatened to bury him in his own garden.
BBQ don't worry not as bad as a smoking genny or a stinky holding tank

What about Music?

What about kids playing?

Using the head?

Cooking with garlic?

What about starting up to leave and running the windless very early?

Smoking a cigar?

Smoking a turkey?

Nude sunbathing?

Showering on deck?

What about hull slap?

Locus, what about locus??!! :eek:

I think the world is too sensitive, If the normal sounds/ smells of boating, camping, bowling, rock climbing, surfing, star gazing.... bother you then go away and don't do it.

Leave me alone, I'm a libertarian with a gun and a generator. :thumb:

images

Last edited:
...most marinas prohibit BBQs on boats so not real common...

That has been our experience on the SE US Coast. Also, lot of marinas provide grills on land to discourage the BBQ's on the boats.

At anchor, we've never had someone complain but have a had a few comments about what's for dinner. Don, What's your other boat? :rofl:

I would only be prone to object if I was on a diet!

People actually complain about BBQ smoke?

Not me.

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Barbeque.jpg
    Barbeque.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 139
I get rather gassy after a few draft beers, and since sound travel better over water and with close quarters anchorages, the lofty aromas are double trouble. I think I have been banned in a fe SE marinas for the practice.

My grill is semi-permanently mounted on the side of the cockpit and gets used a LOT.

I've never had a gripe about the smell or smoke of food I'm cremating.

We anchor out a lot and BBQ very often and never had a complaint. We run our generator and never had a complaint. Been doing this for nearly 20 years and never had a complaint.

Howard

What about Music?

What about kids playing?

Using the head?

Cooking with garlic?

Smoking a cigar?

Smoking a turkey?

Nude sunbathing?

Showering on deck?

What about hull slap?

I think the world is too sensitive, If the normal sounds/ smells of boating, camping, bowling, rock climbing, surfing, star gazing.... bother you then go away and don't do it.

images

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Was that complaint from another boater or the person you were cooking for? :hide:
I had a "friend" on board who said I wasn't paying enough attention to her. (It was my niece!:angel:) She really has an inflated ego...

Attachments

• Doll.jpg
    Doll.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Well, I for one find it amusing that people will bitch about a generator you can hardly hear, or smell, and not complain about a bbq that I guarantee they can smell!

Our harbor has a no BBQ rule like others but I and others ignore it. My thinking is that they were meaning charcol briquette bbq's because of a real or preceived fire risk.

What I call a BBQ is in my opinion a outdoor cooking appliance, and I'll stick with that if ever questioned.

As far as at anchor I almost never have to share an anchorage with another boater., but then again this is Alaska. Tonight is no exception I am sitting all alone in Hog Bay, having spent a great day on the water. There is nobody for miles around, so I'm not too worried about the smelll or noise. :)

I think few people find a grill's smoke to be bothersome or offensive, plus it's something they're use to on land as well. Now if I saw the wind was blowing my smoke directly in their face I'd apologize and ask it it was bothering them. That said, our grills on board are all electric and very little smoke.

What about Music?

What about kids playing?

Using the head?

Cooking with garlic?

Smoking a cigar?

Smoking a turkey?

Nude sunbathing?

Showering on deck?

What about hull slap?

images

I like this post, and perspective, A LOT!!! Way too sensitive about everything these days. A little smoke wafts for 15 min. Big whoop! There are so few things that ARE actually a big whoop. Save your outrage for those few things in life.

Not many BBQ are on 24/7. or are fired with diesel.

What about Music?

What about kids playing?

Using the head?

Cooking with garlic?

Smoking a cigar?

Smoking a turkey?

Nude sunbathing?

Showering on deck?

What about hull slap?

images

Thank YOI.

I too have had Kevin's concern, but reading your response makes me think i need to not worry so much.

I don't cook meat inside the boat so I use my BBQ a lot. If close to others, I will modify what I cook, avoiding foods that produce a lot of smoke (but so good taste):dance:

ksanders, "not worried about the smell" - Ever been complimented by the "big brownies or are they too busy with salmon!" George

We live on Bay Pelican 5 months a year and cook on board most nights. About half the time we use the propane barbecue mounted on the aft deck cap rail.

Don't understand the safety concern with a propane barbecue as opposed to our propane stove/oven.

As far as the smoke I must cook differently or perhaps we are referring to charcoal barbecues. The smell of cooked meat or fish is a different story, but then we should definitely ban pizza deliveries and clearly my popcorn popper would have to go.

Larry, I'm thinking seriously about a stay at Ortega Landing. Are you and Lena coming back?

I'll be back this weekend and then for most of July. SOF is back in town on the 6th or so. We'd love to see you. We can't BBQ on the boat but there lots of good local options.

Our harbor has a no BBQ rule like others but I and others ignore it. My thinking is that they were meaning charcol briquette bbq's because of a real or perceived fire risk.
I've arrived at the same conclusion although I don't know if my marina has a "no barbecue" rule. So many people are doing it (barbecuing) I have to believe it's allowed.
:blush:

Last edited:
One of those "don't ask, don't tell" marinas I suppose.:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

I've arrived at the same conclusion although I don't know if my marina has a "no barbecue" rule. So many people are doing it (barbecuing) I have to believe it's allowed.
:blush:

Many marinas have no barbecue rules as in some instances insurers have them and in others they are local ordinances. In most apartment complexes you can't grill with an open flame on any balcony or patio or anywhere within a certain distance of the building. Some complexes that have struggle with compliance won't even allow a grill on the patio. I've seen the no barbecue rules more in covered marinas and in some of those people choose uncovered simply to have the privilege of grilling.

That is one of the advantages we have with electric grills that regardless of the marina rules we're ok. The rules always apply to open flames, whether charcoal or gas.

A marina that has it banned in its rules and then still allows it is fighting with fire in many ways. They've assumed significant potential liability. They'd be better off with no rule against it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom