Getting new chain down the dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So two people handling two dock carts and high tide made the trip down the dock was super simple. IT really turned out to be a non-event...

Why down the marina dock?

Many places have a wall or commercial dock , where the chain could simply be dumped (with a rope tail and buoy) so you could simply winch ai aboard.

Hopefully it fits the chain drum.

My old boss was kind enough to help with my new chain.....:D

Attachments

• photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 202
Why down the marina dock?

Many places have a wall or commercial dock , where the chain could simply be dumped (with a rope tail and buoy) so you could simply winch ai aboard.

Hopefully it fits the chain drum.

Dont take the chain to the dock...put the barrel of chain in the back of a pickup truck (freight company will load it for you). Drive the boat to the nearest boat launch. Have your best friend drive the pick-up truck with the chain to the boat launch and back down the launch. Also put a 1/2 plywood 3foot X 8foot in the truck to slip under the bow of the boat as it nudges up to the boat launch (protect the hull). Use your windlass to off load the old chain into the back of the pickup (preferably into an empty barrel). Then on load the new chain from the barrel. Remember the barrels must be on pallets so a fork lift can lift them.

Using the windlass vs your back will be less painful.

I still think the $200 I gave a couple of folks hanging around the dock looking for work was the easiest, fastest method. :)

I used the back the pick-up under bow roller, and winch it aboard. Did have to lift the bitter end to the windlass, and secure it in locker, but did not raise a sweat.

My 400' was in a barrel, so heavy that I had them drop it off the back of their pickup, I then pulled it into 50 ft sections to mark.

But to answer your question, I then had to move it a few hundred feet. I moved the boat to a point with a direct line of sight, dragged the end to the windlass and let the windlass do the rest of the work.:dance:

Easy peasy

Last edited:
I still think the $200 I gave a couple of folks hanging around the dock looking for work was the easiest, fastest method. :)

Sometimes, you just have to write the check!

If your dock is wooden planked, you may wind up with the weight breaking the decking. Concrete docks might handle the load better, but the PSI of chain centered over four small wheels may exceed what a wooden dock can carry.

I don't recall how much chain you're talking about, but the weight adds up quickly.

With a barrel of chain in your pick up...back the truck up to the dock gate...pull on the end of the chain while walking down the dock until it's completely out of the barrel. Walk back up the ramp and grab the other end, walking it down the dock. Repeat this cycle until you are in reach of your windlass.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom