The Secret River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
ABC TV is screening part 2 of this 2 part program on Sunday night. A drama about a family setting up a farm in virgin Aboriginal territory during early Sydney colonial days, it is set on the Hawkesbury River and its tributaries north of Sydney, where I currently keep Doriana. I really watch it for the beauty,the stunning river views and the utter desolation the film captures. The Hawkesbury is a well used waterway these days, the producers have worked hard to re-create the river as it was 200 years ago. Even now there are areas which look untouched despite the closeness and advance of surrounding areas. For example, in Smiths Creek, and in Waratah Bay, both of which are off Cowan Creek, you can hear traffic, but you see nothing. Worth a look.

Thanks Bruce for the heads up, I will have to track it down and have a look. Even though we have the Murray and Darling systems we do not have the huge inland waterways that our U S cousins have.

An inland I.C.W. from Brisbane to Melbourne would be fantastic.

I heard on the news this morning that the Gold Coast city council was attempting to stop Live a Boards on the Southport broadwater. This would be a shocking thing if it happened.

Regards.

David.

Part 2 was less river and more story, which became quite violent. But it is part of our history,though I`ve not read the Kate Grenville book it is based on.
I tried hard recognizing places, I think I saw Jerusalem Bay with Pinta Bay leading off it, and maybe some shots well upstream near Bar Isl. I find the Hawkesbury a beautiful place, I have liked it since I went there fishing as a kid, I like having my boat there.

Back
Top Bottom