Alaskan Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
Here's a photo of some shrimp we caught this morning.

five gallon zip lock bags full. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 171
WTG, Kevin!! You'll be eating good tonight!!

I recently tried fresh gulf shrimp from FL for the first time and was very impressed. Nothing like what we get around here. I bet those cold water shrimp are great!

Skipperdude picks up some beauts there in AK, also. Since he's got a commercial license, he sells them right off his boat when he returns.

The good life!!

Kevin: :thumb: I know they are delicious tasting crustacean but are shrimp prawns or prawns shrimp or are they different?

Growing up on the Gulf Coast, I always thought Prawns were fresh water and Shrimp were salt water. Google?

Kevin, those are beautiful. Many years ago (early 70's) we were boating in Whitter Sound and bought a bunch of those from a shrimp boat. Excellent eating!

ENJOY!!!

Are the shrimp bigger than your mosquitoes? :eek: :)

Last edited:
Larry-prawns and shrimp are a bit different biologically, something to do with the type of gills. In reality-they are pretty much the same and the names are used interchangeably.

Kevin, those shrimp look just like the ones we have down here in Washington.

Someday I'll make a trip up North and I'd like to know how much shrimp-trap-line to bring. How deep do you normally fish?

These were caught at about 275 feet.

Steve

Attachments

• 2015 May 046.jpg
    2015 May 046.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 128
In oz we call them all prawns,but some people refer to the freshwater ones as shrimp.We don't put any shrimp on the barbie,just prawns,which taste best freshly boiled then ice chilled.275 feet is deep.We catch them on sandflats with a scoop net and light.
BTW ours are translucent and go red or orange after cooking.

Last edited:
The term "prawn" or "shrimp" has no biological difference. Like a lot of seafood, the name varies depending on region.
The UK, Ireland, SE Asia, New Zealand and Australia call them prawns, and they are shrimp in North America.

Here in Alaska we call them shrimp, actually "spot shrimp". I think they are probably the same shrimp they catch in Washington but I'm not sure.

We fish in 400-500' of water, five pots. We pull the pots every few hours and leave them down overnight as well. Yesterday we filled the small refrigerator full to the brim. This morning we will pull the pots one last time and head out, across Prince William Sound.

I am writing this on Monday morning. Its early, and I am the only one up, having a nice cup of coffee, looking at the scenery, and the wildlife, having a nice cup of coffee and catching up on work stuff.

We are in a place called Keyhole Anchorage in Wells Bay, Prince William Sound. We are the only boat here. It is dead calm, and very serene this morning.

We are almost 150 miles from home, and about 50 miles from the nearest human habitation.

Here's a couple of photos showing our location on the map, some scenery and some of our shrimp. :)

Attachments

• 145.JPG
    145.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 102
  • 168.jpg
    168.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 114
NIce shrimp. I traded a case of BudLight for 5 gallons of 10 count shrimp last week, off a gulf shrimper. they threw in some bycatch for tuna fishing.

Pulled another 3 gallons this morning.

I love shrimp!!! :D

Excellent catch - thanks for sharing.

We will be in Valdez in August and can't wait to drop a few pots in between trolling for silvers!

Yum Yum Buddy! Shrimp, butt and reds for dinner......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom