Gasoline Engines in a 43

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RickB wrote:

Carey wrote:MTU = Motoren- und Turbinen-Union

Is there an echo in here?

Sorry, I have a short attention span.

Carey wrote:Sorry, I have a short attention span.

*Eh? Tell me again ...*what were we talking about?*
smile.gif

Nothing boring there....I was misinformed obviously....although I was pretty damn close!!!...
smile.gif
... *I even went to wiki to see if I could check it but got too caught up in all the reading so I blew it off. Anyway, thanks for the write up. I am fascinated by diesel engines as well. I used to have some good pics of those 2400hp babies and went down and hung out with them for awhile. That 68ft Viking topped out at about 44kts WOT with a "competition cruise" of about 40kts and a normal cruise in the mid to upper 30s. A boat that "big" going that fast is something!!! It burns about 180gph at 40kts!...not bad really when you consider that there are smaller boats that get about the efficiency.

A cool boat that I found during one of my broad Yachtworld searches was a Fountain with 3 440hp Yanmars that boasted a cruise speed of 55kts burning only 25gph!!! *Looked like any other penis boat out there....probably didn't sound like it!

-- Edited by Baker on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 03:59:11 PM

There is a Roger Penske connection with MTU. Penske, ever the consummate business man, formed a joint venture with GM in 1988 creating a new company called Detroit Diesel.**This was hot on the heels of the 1987 introduction of GM's series 60 diesel engine. In 1993 DD became a publically traded company. In 2000 Daimler Chrysler made a tender offer for DD including the 49% Penske owned.

MTU, by virtue of acquiring DD,*became*a leading NA supplier of highway, off highway and marine engines. The thriving DD Division now has a variety of common rail EPA legal diesels for all applications including marine.

sunchaser wrote:MTU, by virtue of acquiring DD,*became*a leading NA supplier of highway, off highway and marine engines.
We have*more than a few*MTU 2000s and 4000s in our fleet. They are beautiful engines*for sure. *They are much like the old 396s that are real thorobreds. When I was playing at yacht captain I ran a 106 foot jet boat with two 16V396s that put out around 5000 hp between them to drive a pair of Kamewa 71 size jets. Gawd that thing was awesome at full power ... you could hear the fuel flowing.

About ten years ago, a good friend of mine was the engineer aboard Evviva (owned by Orin Edson, the founder of Bayliner). At that time, Orin was repowering his 161' Evviva with a couple larger MTUs, mostly because the hours had gotten fairly high, and he didn't want a failure at an inopportune time. Unlike you and I, who might trade those engines in, he kept them, with the intention of rebuilding them and using them to power a go fast boat. Those engines were somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,250hp or more. My friend did not continue in the crewing business, so I never heard if Orin built that play boat. I think he had planned on a fairly bare bones fifty to sixty footer. Does anyone know anything about that?

Mr Edson did go on to buy Westport Yachts a few years back, and is now building large yachts in the hundred foot plus range.

"Smaller CR engines either completely enclose the fuel lines to contain a leak, isolate ignition sources from potential fuel spray, or use "flow fuses" ala Cummins that shut off a line that leaks.

Larger engines that meet IMO requirements use double wall fuel lines that contain any leak and trigger an alarm if one occurs."

Great advertisement reading and nice theory, But

We would think Rolls Royce could build a LOW PRESSURE oil fitting that doesn't leak, cause engine failure and blow holes in another Air Bust .

Theory on paper is fine , but "There is many a slip between cup and lip" so I cant wait till the local boat yard "mechanic" gets his hands on a 30,000 psi fuel system.

IF anyone is restoring a classic and can use a Heavy Duty Gas engine , contact me!

I purchased a natural gas DD series 50 , to get a better starter location on the bell housing , and for other parts and on inspection found std GM coils and spark plugs screwed in where the injectors would usually be.EFI would be easy.

Talk about robust this engine is close to 2000 lbs , but would be fine in an old commuter where every 200-250 hp engine was a ton.And its as quiet as your Buick!

FF wrote:*I cant wait till the local boat yard "mechanic" gets his hands on a 30,000 psi fuel system.

*Yeah, well, if that is the sort of thing that makes your life worth living then I suppose someone will eventually get hurt and make you feel better.
no.gif

WELL THE REAL FUN WILL BE READING THE CONSUMER PRODUCTS "MATTRESS TAG LABEL" THAT SHOULD COME WITH THE BOAT.

Seeing fools kill themselves is why I avoid FBO's on doctors days off.

FEDERAL WARNING

IF you smell Diesel, evacuate the vessel and a 5 block area !

If you see a tiny fuel drip while running, touching the drip may cause instant blood poisoning and almost immediate death!

Oh the BuroRATS are gona love these in pleasure boats!!

The insurance guys will be in hog heaven!

It sounds like you need to catch one of those docs before he leaves for the airport and have him adjust your meds.

I was just going through some old pictures. Here are two pics of the wellcraft express that went "boom" at the marina we were at about 2 years ago. They were fueling at the fuel dock, cranked it up and BOOM. Sent 2 to the hospital but thankfully no deaths. He replaced that boat with a mainship 34' pilot express single screw diesel!

img_35012_0_190f25df345d9fd05180b9510546514e.jpg

img_35012_1_54b7d60423e4f4e2338132bc5948ff2c.jpg

Where do old/totaled boats go to die, anyway?* How much does it cost to get a boat disposed of?

markpierce wrote:

Where do old/totaled boats go to die, anyway?* How much does it cost to get a boat disposed of?

In the nearest landfill. The cost depends on how big, how many dumpsters it fills and how many people take how long to remove the flammable and toxic stuff.

Frontend loaders, backhoes, and chainsaws do a pretty good job of breaking up the hull. Steel or aluminum hulls get cut up and sold for scrap metal then recycled.

RickB wrote:

In the nearest landfill. The cost depends on how big, how many dumpsters it fills and how many people take how long to remove the flammable and toxic stuff.

Frontend loaders, backhoes, and chainsaws do a pretty good job of breaking up the hull. Steel or aluminum hulls get cut up and sold for scrap metal then recycled.
That is why I consider a steel boat one of the "greenest afloat".* Also, they can be reapaired any where you can find a welder.* You can even carry a welder on board and repair it or add to it yourself.* No blisters,* You do have to worry about rust, galvanic, and electrolysis problems.* However, that can be dealt with.* For travelling the world, I think a steel boat is a great option.

Did I mention that steel will distort at high temperatures and paint will burn, but steel is none combustible.* Diesel and steel--------sounds pretty good to me.* Way to go, Mark

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 8th of January 2011 04:38:07 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 8th of January 2011 04:42:26 PM

Mark asks;**** "Where do old/totaled boats go to die, anyway? "

In a word*** down

Think about that the next time you contemplate anchoring in Thorne Bay. There's logging equipment on the bottom of our pristine bay as big as a cement truck. Boats on beaches near towns and otherwise are common in Alaska. I know this only as people have told me.

Probably one of the best things about a Uniflite boat was the use of Hetron resin in the layup.* Unfortunately it was prone to blistering, and led to the company's demise.* I don;t know if it is compatible with vinyl ester, but if it is that could be a good combination.* While Hetron would burn if subjected to a flame, it would not propagate a flame.* It would snuff itself out when the ignition source was removed .* That is why the navyy would specify Hetron for their*GRP boats.* I have a fiberglass boat, and fire is something to be very wary of especially when offshore.

Just thinking.

Moon,
That's interesting. I'm sorta look'in at a navy personnel boat conversion. I used to work at
Uniflite and I can't remember the details but I do remember about the fire retardant resin but I don't know if they (Uniflite) even had hull blisters. I have seen numerous Uniflites with lots of blisters on the gunnel's but don't recall seeing them on the hulls. The only boat that I'm very familiar with that has no blisters is the swedish built Albin. I've never heard of a Nordic Tug w blisters but I'll bet they have the plague too.

nomadwilly wrote:

Moon,
That's interesting. I'm sorta look'in at a navy personnel boat conversion. I used to work at
Uniflite and I can't remember the details but I do remember about the fire retardant resin but I don't know if they (Uniflite) even had hull blisters. I have seen numerous Uniflites with lots of blisters on the gunnel's but don't recall seeing them on the hulls. The only boat that I'm very familiar with that has no blisters is the swedish built Albin. I've never heard of a Nordic Tug w blisters but I'll bet they have the plague too.
Eric, Uniflites definitely had a problem with hull blisters below the waterline as did many other makes.* NT and others may have gotten on to using vinyl ester resins in the first 1 or 2 coats in the mold.* Vinyl ester is much more resistant to water intrusion and blistering.

I don't know what year John's Pilot is.* If it is a 2003 or 04 there is a good chance that the whole boat was layed up with Vinyl estor resins.* All Pilots then were built at the Midway GA plant.* The GA EPA was on them about emissions, so they discintinued using polyester resins until they could meet emissions requirements.* Anyone with one of those boats got a real deal.

In Uniflites defense, their hulls were virtually bullet proof.* They used no wood in the stringers.* They were built to last.* I would not be afraid of a Uniflite hull today.* You could fix the blisters and apply a couple of layers of vinyl estor or epoxy and have a great boat.

I was under the impression some Willards had the same issues for the same reasons???

My Pilot is an 04. Are you saying they were vinylester and then went back to polyester when they moved?

Baker wrote:

I was under the impression some Willards had the same issues for the same reasons???

My Pilot is an 04. Are you saying they were vinylester and then went back to polyester when they moved?
John, I am saying that there is a good chance of that. *I ordered my '04 Pilot for December of '03 delivery at the factory in St. Augustine (Midway GA plant had no way of on the water delivery).* I asked for the boat to be taken across the San Sebastion River*to St. Augustine Marine for bottom painting after an epoxy barrier coat was applied.* I was told that the expoxy barrier coat on that boat would be a total waste of money.* They then told me the story of why they were using vinyl ester resins and the big extra expense involved.

So, yes, I think your scenario is what happened.* If that boat is all vinyl ester resins, I Think that you have extra value there, or you at least have an extra selling point.* You might ask Luhrs to check the file on your boat to see if this is the case.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 9th of January 2011 08:22:31 AM

That I will. Very interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom