Sharpie durability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkh

Vessel Name
Sea C. Rider
Vessel Make
1981 34' Californian LRC
I want to put our boat's name on the life ring myself. In deciding what to use, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Sharpies and their durability in the sun and sea. They have an oil-based one that says "resistant" to water, fading and abrasion". Or was a good enamel be better? Thanks for any advice.
jkh

I have used them to mark shrink wrap and painted surfaces but they do seem to fade over time. I'd say enamel or acrylic paint would be longer lasting.

Reactions: Jkh
Well I was told to do the same thing and that you would have to go over it about once a yr just did it last week was ez to do looks good

There is a sharpie product made for gardeners that is not supposed to fade in the sun and may be available at large garden supply places or by internet. My son used these to mark his rose varieties when he was farming them.

Sharpie marking does fade in the sun. How about the inflatable "stenciling" paint? (Sold in small bottle to mark reg numbers on inflatables) Its easy to put on and seems to last very well.

Ken

They have an oil-based one that says "resistant" to water, fading and abrasion".
jkh

jkh
Learn something every day... I looked up the oil based Sharpie and see they are really paint pens.
The ones I used on shrink wrap etc were the conventional ink variety.

The paint variety should stand up much better and be easy to use... I'll be looking for them to try out.

Thanks for the lead.

If you look for ink pen" you will find similar pens. Sharpie has several colors and chisel point styles. The Grainger catalog has several also.

I suggest you don't freehand it but find a stencil set to trace with a soft pencil.

Thanks for everyone's help. I couldn't find a Sharpie in the color and style I wanted. Instead I found something called "patio Paint" at Hobby Lobby. It seemed to fit the bill on sun/weather resistant. I have now finished the life ring. I will see how good it works!
jkh

I used vinyl letters. Still OK after 9 years.

How about a photo of the finished product?

:thumb: After 6 years. The sun ate up the last life ring before the letters.

Attachments

• life ring.jpg
    life ring.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 105
Finished product

Here's a picture of the finished ring on the boat and a close-up.

Attachments

• 100_1712.jpg
    100_1712.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 100_1716.jpg
    100_1716.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 106
Thanks! Not really an artist; I used a stencil, penciled the shapes and then painted. I'll try to remember to comment on how long it lasts....hopefully it will last so long I will forget when it was done!:)

Classy !!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

This is by far, the best route!!! No offense to the OP...his stuff looks great. I also tried putting my TX numbers on my dinghy with a Sharpie...doesn't last a year. So a friend suggest vinyl letters. One would think that with the continuous expansion and contraction of a dinghy that the letters would come off....the do not!!! Works great and will be ordering new numbers for my new dinghy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom