Broken water tank connections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarryP

Vessel Name
Mango Mama
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36
Each of my water tanks have one 1/2" drain connection and two 3/8" connections (high and low) for water level indication. When I turned one of the 3/8" ball valves it came away in my hand!

The connections appear to be a pipe stub welded to the tank with a pipe coupling welded to the pipe stub. The adapter between the ball valve and the coupling apparently deteriorated and became very weak. I couldn't tell what material it was made from, it was black and crumbly.

The threaded portion of the adapter remained in the coupling and was impossible to remove. I checked the others and one broke easily; two others took a little more force. Only two were intact enough to unscrew.

I decided to simply hose clamp larger diameter tubing to the OD of the welded coupling. For the level indication connections, I simply ran the hose from one connection to the other with no valves.

For the drains, I adapted down to 1/2" tubing and installed two new ball valves. I reused the bronze check valves (one of them had been stuck so that side tank wouldn't drain).

Not a whole lot of fun but I'm glad it's done now.

Gary, you've proved again that necessity is the mother of invention. *Nice work.

Sorry to hear...since our T is a year older. I'll be very careful handling those valves.

Back
Top Bottom