Generator etiquette ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not too surprised my technique did not work down there. Up here in NC night time temps usually around 78F. In Sfla it can be 83F. My upper limit for happy sleep is 80F with low humidity. So if I dry out my boat and outside is 78, all good. Not so if it is 83.

Of course we hit Wilmington this week when it had a high of 100 degrees and low of 77 degrees. Fort Lauderdale, on the same day had a high of 88 and low of 79 degrees. We definitely used A/C all day and night in Wilmington. No generator though as we were at a marina. But we definitely felt the 100 degrees, especially messing around in our RIB, which unfortunately and not surprisingly doesn't have A/C.

Yea, we are having quite a hot spell here. Normal summer it only breaks 90F a few times a year on the coast. We have had several already and we are still in June. Sucks.

It's been cooler than normal here. It was too cold to open both pilothouse doors. :cool:

It's been cooler than normal here. It was too cold to open both pilothouse doors. :cool:

And with your lows of 54 and 55 all the past week, we would have definitely needed to run the generator at night as we would have needed heat.

Have you ever parked next to one of these? :banghead: Run your genny as long and often as you please! :dance:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 387
Have you ever parked next to one of these? :banghead: Run your genny as long and often as you please! :dance:

There have also been some land wars caused by windmills and windmill farms. Can you imagine being the retired farmer and his wife with your quiet, peaceful acreage and home in the country, the homestead you've had for your life and your neighbor died a few years ago, their property being sold to someone buying many properties in the area and now converted to a windmill farm. Suddenly you find yourselves unable to get a decent night's sleep in your home and having to keep all windows closed. There is even a condition known as Windmill Turbine Syndrome where people develop multiple physical ailments.

Here's an interesting article regarding windmills and impact on neighbors.

Neighbors at odds over noise from wind turbines - ABC News

Unquestionably the neighbors noisemaker will frequently be heard thru the water below.

Folks that live on top of the water do not realize how living in a hull is very different .

Sailing offshore the usual ship can easily be heard 10+ miles away.

Cardude... in Florida, or anyplace for that matter run your genny.

You said "My gen is pretty quiet outside but loud as hell inside. Should I worry about these other boaters or just give them the finger and relax in my cool AC?"

In my view run the comfort factor. And when you get your boat home work on making the generator quieter inside. Period.

You are allowed and encouraged to enjoy your boat as you see fit. Now if you had one of those $100 Northern Tools noise-makers, that would be an entirely different thing. But otherwise, enjoy.

It's a boat. If a sailboat near you objects they can haul in the anchor and move. I have a wind generator and it's not quiet either. It's the sound of power. We should be mindful of our neighbors however not to the detriment of our own comfort.

When you're hot and sticky you're not going to rest well. That will affect your navigation the next day. For safety's sake, get some rest in the air-conditioning.

I would not visit boats offering to shut down the genny. There's sometimes a jerk so why open yourself up to a grumpy one? Let them make an effort if it bothers them.

From now on remember the Florida Rule for Generators: Any time, all the time, and that's it. Folks do not truly understand how miserable it can be here.

Last week I took Skipper out on the swim deck at 0130 (that's her "outside") and the air was wet, hot, sticky and awful. Even fans wouldn't make it better. I felt wet just being outside for two or three minutes.

Air conditioning is a wonderful thing. Figure out how to make it quieter inside and go for it. Be cool, man! ;)

Funny how when I grew up in FL, we didn't have AC and I slept and survived just fine even during afternoon naps. Try thinking of living in bunk beds in a wooden bunkhouse in Sanford FL during the summer. The bathroom was an outhouse. We took baths in a lake...freshwater lake. This was 6 weeks of summer camp of course. But until I was 12 or so, we slept without AC.

Now in my old age after having been thoroughly conditioned by AC, I would have a cardiac arrest without it.

We are spoiled in our old age! But, we can survive without it if we really had to.

Funny how when I grew up in FL, we didn't have AC and I slept and survived just fine even during afternoon naps. Try thinking of living in bunk beds in a wooden bunkhouse in Sanford FL during the summer. The bathroom was an outhouse. We took baths in a lake...freshwater lake. This was 6 weeks of summer camp of course. But until I was 12 or so, we slept without AC.

Now in my old age after having been thoroughly conditioned by AC, I would have a cardiac arrest without it.

We are spoiled in our old age! But, we can survive without it if we really had to.

In Florida many houses were designed for good air flow through them. However, before saying too quickly we can live without it, there are people who die every time a major city has a heat onslaught. Could we live better without it if we were use to it? Of course. We can play tennis in 95 degree heat with no problem. But cannot sleep in a warm room. In fact, our bedroom must be the same temperature year round. 72 degrees. And even at that we do not use a comforter or quilt or spread. At most a sheet. Oh how spoiled we get and how use to certain conditions.

If your gen is quiet outside and you've anchored away from others as best as can, I say, run and run it and run it how you like. Many sailboaters have no problem letting their halyards bang in the wind or letting their wind generators whistle all day and night.

I go out of my way in most cases to be courteous to other boaters. But as to turning it off before going to sleep, not me in south FL or other places further south in the summer that's for sure.

You're never going to please everybody. Heck I've heard people complain about not the exhaust gas sound but the splashing sound the exhaust water can make. Or even the splashing sound the A/C cooling water can make. I mean really? You're on a boat and you have a problem with the sound of water splashing!?

Living and going to college in Florida, I thought I knew heat. Then I moved to Savannah, GA. There I found heat plus almost unbearable humidity. Believe me drying out the air is about as important as cooling the air. Fortunately, A/C does both. It is essential in such areas. Even in South FL and the Bahamas late evening with any breeze can prove bearable for sleeping. Not in GA and SC. The hailing port on Moonstruck's transom is Charleston.

Currently anchored up off the ICW past the Venice inlet a few miles with the gen running.

I'm the only boat here so no worries!

It's freakin COLD in here!

?

Making up for the sweaty attempt to sleep last night.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434847279.681960.jpg

I like anchoring now. Cold AC. Nice sunset.

I guess I just don't get it?

Here in Florida, I know more than a few blow boat owners who spend as much time aboard as possible. Every one of them have at least a small generator, and wouldn't think of spending a summer night aboard without it. Just about every sailboat I've ever boarded other than the day sailing types, have had one. It's Florida. It's hot, humid and miserable when the mosquitoes are out and there's no breeze.

I too grew up here and didn't have A/C in the house until I was 16. The car even later. Never really bothered me. Don't want to do it now though, I'm all about the comfort!

Frankly I just don't see the problem with a little noise. If I really want solitude, I'd anchor out by myself.

And complaining about a little "splash"? Really? All part of the lifestyle IMHO.

*"Even less than their talk and sex with their windows all open."

Ok, that's just wrong! Lol

*"Even less than their talk and sex with their windows all open."

Ok, that's just wrong! Lol

Wifey B: Might be wrong...well talk and sex aren't wrong...:D. But I've been amazed at people at anchor and at marinas who open all the windows and apparently never crosses their mind you can hear everything. Some have embarrassed innocent lil me. :eek:

We run ours always! 24x7 hasn't shut off in 3 days. We have parts of the sound shield off for better ventilation.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434851805.992557.jpg

If you look closely you'll see our friends in they're N72, they run it 4 hours in the morning and four hours at night.

Wifey B: Might be wrong...well talk and sex aren't wrong...:D. But I've been amazed at people at anchor and at marinas who open all the windows and apparently never crosses their mind you can hear everything. Some have embarrassed innocent lil me. :eek:

Lol

You want sounds....check out this page....

Sounds

Everything from underwater charge to whales to fish to shrimp to ice (from beneath it) to propellors to sonar.

Wait 'til a bunch of popping shrimp are under your anchored boat. They are loud.

I guess I just don't get it?

Here in Florida,
Frankly I just don't see the problem with a little noise. If I really want solitude, I'd anchor out by myself...l

In Alaska, during commercial fishing/crabbing season, the commercial guys run their generators 24/7's, at anchor and a lot of thime at the dock. I've yet but would love to see a rec. boater ask them to shut their generators off. :rofl:

In Alaska, during commercial fishing/crabbing season, the commercial guys run their generators 24/7's, at anchor and a lot of thime at the dock. I've yet but would love to see a rec. boater ask them to shut their generators off. :rofl:

Now that'd be a reality show not to miss!
When Commercial fisherman go wild lol

"I've yet but would love to see a rec. boater ask them to shut their generators off. "

There is a big difference between needing to keep a couple of tons of ice useable ,

and the need to keep a fan and a dirt house fridge alive all night. :rofl:

A busy commercial harbor is hardly where boats would collect to enjoy the piece and tranquility of a sunset, or a couple of quiet days on the hook.

Old southern houses were built for the heat .

Large porches and large roof overhangs , huge windows and doors to be able to ventilate and what cant be copied aboard SHADE TREES.

The trees evaporate large quantities of water , cooling the area.

On a boat the best one can hope for is water temperature inside , which in most places with a bunk fan is fine for sleeping .

Last edited:
On a boat the best one can hope for is water temperature inside , which in most places with a bunk fan is fine for sleeping .

If you could sleep with that then fine for you. We're conditioned to air conditioning (or heat) and can't. Similarly we have refrigerators and freezers full of food.

We have the technology.

You pay a substantial amount for the capability to have A/C on the hook, often if not all the time you are on vacation, you should be comfortable on vacation, you should be able to use the comfort providing devices you paid for, use the A/C.

You want to be a good neighbor, I applaud that as do I.

We have the technology.

Get whatever insulation/isolation/exhaust devices necessary to be so quiet your neighbors won't even know your running the genset, and the byproduct will be better enjoyment of your boat with peace and quiet and
without any guilt

:socool:

Back
Top Bottom