View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #58
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Gasoline Engines in a 43

Eric---

I believe--- but I could be mistaken-- that Bentley offers a diesel in at least one of their models. I seem to recall Jeremy Clarkson reviewing one on Top Gear, but I could be thinking of another make.

I agree with you about the "names" that have been drummed up for trawler-type boats. Virtually all of them were hatched up by the marketing folks, I think. A trawler drags a net around. That--- to me--- is the only correct use of the term. As I've mentioned before, even American Marine didn't use the term "trawler" to describe their Grand Banks line of boats. In their ads and literature they were always referred to as "Dependable Diesel Cruisers." The attached photo is the cover for the 19734 Grand Banks brochure (the boat pictured is identical to our '73 boat other than the radar mount).

I don't believe Tollycraft (speaking of gas-powered cruisers) ever used the term "trawler" to refer to any of their boats, although I hear plenty of Tolly owners today refer to their boats as "trawlers."

I think your term "heavy cruiser" is pretty accurate as long as people don't think you're talking about the USS Baltimore.* The term "trawler" conjures up rugged commercial fishing boats that routinely tackle the North Sea, Alaskan waters, and so on.* Seaworthy, strongly built, etc.* While I recall you don't really agree with this, the first "cabin cruisers" of what became known as "trawlers" had superstructures VERY loosely based on one of the many commercial fishboat configurations--- foward pilothouse or helm with an elongated main cabin aft of it, a small forward cabin with a V-berth, and an aft cabin where the fish holds and fishing gear were located on a commercial boat.

Saying you have a "trawer" sounded rugged and nautical, so the marketing folks jumped all over it.* Simply tacking the name "trawler" onto anything supposedly got potential buyers thinking about "tough" boatst that could take it.* So just about every boat configuration you could think of became "trawlers."* I've even heard the owners of some of the semi-planing Bayliner models like the 3288 and 3788 refer to their boats as "trawlers."

Now we have the tug-type boats, the Camano Trolls, etc. all being called "fast trawlers."* This is really a stretch since by definition--- the correct definition--- a trawler is by its very nature a pretty slow boat.* At least it is while it's fishing.

They're all "cabin cruisers" to me.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 12:21:56 PM
Attached Thumbnails
1974 gb brochure.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote