Interior finishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JILLBROWN

Vessel Name
WARLOCK
Vessel Make
1981 ISLAND GYPSY 32
The countertop and dining table are made of something that looks like wood, but isn't. It might be formica or some other waterproof material. If anyone knows what it is and how to restore it, can you let me know?

Warlock
Whidbey Island WA:confused:

I think it is a "Formica" type of material. We have it on the table, and the area behind the windshield windows, either side of the step down. I presume it was used there to take the sun, and for hard wearing ability on the table top. Without knowing the issue, you could clean it and treat it with an "Armor-all" type dressing. Works well on the black instrument panel too. If really bad, you could panel over it with new material, in which case, to avoid gluing issues maybe don`t try the Armor-all".

Using ArmorAll you better have high fences around the table or most things put on the table will be on the salon floor. I recall a motorcycle dealer that used ArmorAll on the motorcycle seats to make them look like new but it was hard to test ride them w/o falling off.

Many wood finishing assumes a very porous surface. This unknown material may not be porous. Sand away the present coating and see if it is porous w perhaps drop or so of water. If it soaks right in to the material wood finishes may be appropriate. If not other finishes meant for hard non-porous materials like metal or glass may be better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom