vacuflush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pure pleasure

I have vacuflush that leaks air from the ball valve some of the time is it hard to replace the seal.

I have vacuflush that leaks air from the ball valve some of the time is it hard to replace the seal.

No it's not hard the change the seal. But first try to clean the lip of the seal. Sealand makes tool for that. But you can use an old tooth brush or a scuffy pad to scrub the seal lip clean.

Get the manual if you don't have it. It's actually pretty good.

But, no it's not hard to change. Just remember to shut off the fresh water feed to the unit.

Clean it, then apply some silicon grease. This will solve the issue 90%+ of the time. Make sure when flushing to release the pedal from the bottom of the stroke so it snaps up hard.

I did that cleaning procedure and applied petroleum jelly to the seal and reapply every 3 months. So far it has worked perfectly.

Uploaded a trouble shooting guide to the library, just waiting for approval.

Easy peesy.

Make sure when flushing to release the pedal from the bottom of the stroke so it snaps up hard.

I know that is the recommended way to do it, but it sure goes against the grain!

In an emergency vegetable oil works too.

I let the peddle quickly but I don't let it snap up. Did it once or twice by accident and it scared me.

Gotta snap it and overcome fear. Silicon grease lasts a long long time. Just a schmear not a glop. I did the clean and grease thing maybe twice on the two heavy use heads in almost 6 years of year round live aboard.

Let it snap up..in fact the directions (not that anyone ever bothers to read 'em) tell you to let it go to snap back into place. That's because it's spring loaded for a reason: to let the dome snap back into place hard enough to seal. Never allowing that to happen leads to an air leak in the bowl that can only be cured by replacing that assembly.

Are you loosing water out of the bowl? That is the first sign that the bowl seal is leaking. If you are not loosing water out of the bowl then it's not the seal between the ball and the bowl.

You really cannot diagnose properly your system without a vacuum gauge. Doing anything without that is like throwing darts in a blacked out room and expecting to be on target!

On Waypoint our vacuflush system will hold vacuum over a weekend when the pump is turned off. It can be done and they are really reliable units. Just have to be willing to put in the time to install everything correctly!

Did I mention that without a vacuum gauge your really shooting in the dark?

leaking

It's at the ball valve losing water and can hear the leak seals sometimes will clean when I get off work on tue thanks for info

Are you loosing water out of the bowl? That is the first sign that the bowl seal is leaking. If you are not loosing water out of the bowl then it's not the seal between the ball and the bowl.

You really cannot diagnose properly your system without a vacuum gauge. Doing anything without that is like throwing darts in a blacked out room and expecting to be on target!

On Waypoint our vacuflush system will hold vacuum over a weekend when the pump is turned off. It can be done and they are really reliable units. Just have to be willing to put in the time to install everything correctly!

Did I mention that without a vacuum gauge your really shooting in the dark?

Regarding the vacume gauge

How are you utilizing it? Do you have a 1.5" fitting you put over the port on the vacume generator to isolate the problem to the generator or the head?

Thanks!!

Here is a link to the gauge. DOMETIC 318530002 - Dometic Corporation VACUUM TESTER GAUGE 318530002 - Boaters Plus

Best to use it by starting at the toilet. Turn off the water. Open the ball valve and lock it open. If you have a newer style toilet it has a latch that will keep the ball open. If you have an older style use a toilet bowl brush to hold it open. Hold open the ball, insert the gauge seal and let the hose pass through the brush bristles.

By placing the sealing device at the end of the gauge hose into the exit hole you can determine if it is leaking inside the bowl or between the bowl outlet and the pump. The standard for vacuum is specified in the instructions that come with the gauge. The seal will also close up the end of 1 1/2" hose also.

Once you work out where it is leaking then you can repair or replace what is needed. I once thought the specifications from Dometic were ridiculous but Waypoints system holds vacuum long past the factory specs. :D

In an emergency vegetable oil works too.

It certainly helped me get my electric TMV macerator unstuck. Now I put a slush of it down every time we leave the boat. It has always been a bit sticky if left unused for long.

Here is a link to the gauge. DOMETIC 318530002 - Dometic Corporation VACUUM TESTER GAUGE 318530002 - Boaters Plus

Best to use it by starting at the toilet. Turn off the water. Open the ball valve and lock it open. If you have a newer style toilet it has a latch that will keep the ball open. If you have an older style use a toilet bowl brush to hold it open. Hold open the ball, insert the gauge seal and let the hose pass through the brush bristles.

By placing the sealing device at the end of the gauge hose into the exit hole you can determine if it is leaking inside the bowl or between the bowl outlet and the pump. The standard for vacuum is specified in the instructions that come with the gauge. The seal will also close up the end of 1 1/2" hose also.

Once you work out where it is leaking then you can repair or replace what is needed. I once thought the specifications from Dometic were ridiculous but Waypoints system holds vacuum long past the factory specs. :D

Thanks!

We have two Vacuflush heads onboard. Both work fine and have been problem free but are now 14 years old.

This spring I purchased rebuild kits for both units plus both heads but haven't gotten around to doing the work yet. My thought is to quiet down the generators and do a premptive rebuild to learn the workings of them and prevent unexpected failures.

I'll buy that tester since it seems it would be pretty handy in diagnosing problems and at the very least verifying my rebuild prior to placing it into production.

Thanks!

Let me also recommend sealing all of your hose connections. I use a Locktite sealant (pipe dope) that is used for sealing plastic pipe threads. I also double clamp everything with clamps that are smooth. I would also use the ones that are narrow (made for silicone hose) so there is room on the couplings for two. Between sealing with sealant and double clamping 90 degrees apart you are assured of less leakage.

Use the gauge as you said along the way to insure your leak free.

And don't forget the shaving cream. If you want to find a leak you can't hear, you can't beat it. You just spray it around the vacuum connections and if there is a leak there it gets sucked in.

FYI on the orientation of hose clamps. Tests have shown it makes no difference in how the two screw sections of the clamps are located in relation to each other as to the quality of the seal. But if space on the nipple is limited, having them located 180 degs from each other can allow you to get them closer to each other and up on the nipple.

Well try to clean and grease with no help. So I replaced the seal at the clamshell was not that hard to do but it still leaks at the clamshell some of the time just have to reflush. And will seal most of the time don't know what to do now

Is the clam shell damage? Is it smooth or does it have a nick or groove on it?

Did you put the seal on correctly?

seal

Seal was good fit I don't feel any damaged on clamshell it does seal most times just not all the time.

Make sure you let it snap back when you release the pedal. Always replace the ball and shaft. It's just not worth repeating taking it apart over and over again.

Again get the vacuum gauge as it will help you in the long run!

Found problem

Well I finally got time to look at it was a small scratch in the ball don't know how it got their but with a green scrub pad was able to smooth it out now it's sealing

Well mine just started acting up. No water or air leaks that I know of, but the vac pump keeps pumping, so I guess an air leak. It still flushes fine just the pump doesn't stop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom