Tropical Storm Bill (Tx gulf coast)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wyoboater

Vessel Name
In Disguise
Vessel Make
1985 Mainship 40 DC
Just an idea, how about members along the TX gulf coast keep everyone advised as to what's happening in your area? We're at Watergate Marina, Clear Lake Shores, Tx. Currently, the tide is up about 18" above normal. We're experiencing occasional bands of fairly heavy rains accompanied by gusty winds. After 10 min or so of that, things settle down to a light drizzle or nothing at all, with steady winds of 5-10 mph.. We're battened down, have removed everything from the outside decks and are waiting it out on the boat. You?

Forcast is not good. Stay buttoned up and safe. Hope you don't have the 6 to 8 inches of rain that's called for. Just don't need anymore of that.

The brunt will be here around 9:00 but the darn thing is moving so slow that we are in for double digit rainfall. We are on the 'dirty' side of course. Then poor ol Dallas gets it yet again..... I have retied at least 6 boats here this morning (no floating docks). Seems people have lots of money to waste.

Tide is now close to 2 feet above normal. The docks are actually above the seawall...Thank goodness for floating docks!

Looks like winds 60 mph and gusts to 65 I didn't see mention of storm surge height.
Seems like we had a T.S. Bill through here not too many years ago.
Good luck to you all, and keep safe!

Not too bad along the western La. coast. Tides running 2.6 ft above normal, some coastal flooding due to high tides. Winds 30-35kts SE with rain squalls over Big Lake and Lake Charles. Offshore much worse, didn't hear if rigs were evacuated for this storm.
The radar looks real scary for you folks along the Texas coast from Galveston to Padre Island....stay safe guys!

That is cool! The storm is acting weird....about 30 mph and rain and then nothing.

Typical of tropical cyclones in my experience...rain bands sweep through where the wind and rain are all over the place...usually plus embedded tornados...then lower steadier winds between them.

That earth link is Cool! Yeah, we're getting the same 30mph then nada...currently in a downpour phase now. Tide is right at 2' above normal.

I would not care to be in Matagorda Bay right now.

They seem to gotten it a lot worse than we did up here in Clear Lake.

That rain will have alumina in it for days.

That rain will have alumina in it for days.

Alumina? As in synthetically produced aluminum oxide? What am I missing?

The wind here is still gusting but haven't had any rain in a few hours. Tide appears to be receding a tad.

I know that Alcoa has an Aluminum Oxide plant in Matagorda, but I fail to see how this storm will put alumina in the rain for days?

Alcoa has a plant in Point Comfort Tx. and Reynolds has one behind Rockport Tx. Both have hills of alumina at their plants. Alumina is a fine white powdery substance that is easily transported by wind. Been there towed it for years.
dan

Alcoa has a plant in Point Comfort Tx. and Reynolds has one behind Rockport Tx. Both have hills of alumina at their plants. Alumina is a fine white powdery substance that is easily transported by wind. Been there towed it for years.
dan

Aah I see said the blind man....

As he picked up his hammer and saw

Everyone stay safe on that coast and remember if you had to check lines out and/or take them in you will have to do the opposite after the storm passes.

And on the alumina note: some say there is a cause/effect with memory loss and alumina. So please excuse my saying the Reynolds plant was in Rockport it is really at Ingleside Tx. Came back to me a few minutes ago.

dan

0630 update: Fairly steady rain now with occasional squall like downpours. Wind is pretty steady at 10kts with some 20-25kt gusts out of the SE. Water level in the marina has dropped to just about normal levels...looks like a drizzly grey day all day.

Yep, we are forecast for more rain than yesterday. Water level dropped about a foot overnight but they had the fresh water barrier closed for the surge which has caused enough "back log" to enable them to open it today, so expect it to go back up. A good day for TV and TF.

I was down there yesterday, Waterford Harbor, to pull all the sunshades in anticipation of big winds. I think I wasted my time.

Bob

Don't know if it was a waste of time Bob...had some pretty healthy winds last night and again early this am here at Watergate right next door....better safe than sorry comes to mind.

We were down there on the 7th when this one giant blast came through and ripped off one of the sunshades, twist fastener and all. Probably our fault since we didn't have the bottom snapped down. Never did find it. In the process of building a new one so I'll probably be back this weekend to put them all back.

I assume you live aboard? Out in the open or a covered slip? Not sure if they have covered slips anymore, they were hit really hard with Ike.

Bob

Bummer on the sunshade. Yeah, we live aboard at an open pier..Don't really want a covered slip as it both ruins the view and can be a PIA if the tide raises too far.

OK, now we are getting some real rain. It's gone dark outside and thunder/lightning for the first time. No tides today at all. No real winds though?

Well, this is probably my final post on this thread. "Bill" seems to have left to bother the fine people of Dallas and points northeast. Today has been basic rain with a few wind gusts up here in the lake. Supposed to clear off quite a bit tonight and tomorrow with only a 30% chance of rain...Minor flooding was reported in Kemah this am, but that's as close as it got to us. I'm ok with that!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom