Any Lk Champlain Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacchus

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Bacchus
Vessel Make
MS 34 HT Trawler
We are headed to lake Champlain (NY/VT) this summer and wondering if anyone has recommendations re: anchorages, marinas, attractions, restaurants, etc.
I have joined Actice Capt & started to search there... just thought I'd post a request here to see if any TF'ers had recommendations.

We are planning on going via Champlain Canal from Troy north.

Thanks in advance.

My family summered in the Adirondacks for years. I hope to take my boat up for a summer after we retire. Lake Champlain is beautiful. Willsboro Bay Marina is nice and has a good restaurant on site. The Le Bistro du Lac restaurant on the water in Westport in nice also. If you have a car, a trip to the Adirondacks Museum is a nice day trip. Lake Placid is always nice with lots of restaurants and bars. The Ausable Chasm raft trip is a lot of fun. You will pass Fort Ticonderoga on your way up the lake. I don't know if you can dock there, but it is worth a side trip. We never spent much time on the Vermont side but the Shelburne Museum is great. You can tour the Steamship Ticonderoga there.

Bring loads of anchor line!

The lake is in mountains , so being only a bit off the shore may mean 150 ft of water.

We liked anchoring at Valcour Island. We stayed in Sloop Bay, there are other coves there also.

I am at the treadwell Marina just past Plattsburgh NY, It's simply the best yacht club with huge swimming pool and tennis courts, fully protected from winds and waves from any direction.

Lake Champlain is really big and you do have to watch out for winds because the waves get really big and very short.

Burlington VT is marvelous you will fall in love, they have moorings and docks, it's a super cool town with a beach.

You can also anchor at the Burlington municipal beach is winds from the North (North Beach Park). Else you go on the other bay Appletree is winds from south.

Then you have also the Shelburne bay with mooring also just off Burlington.

You can also go to Valcour Island and hide in one of the bays select a side based on wind.

There are so many other places that I am currently discovering ;-)

If you have too much time on your hands just continue North On the Richelieu river through all the marvelous locks and end up in The St-Lawrence in Old Montreal ;-)

If you have too much time on your hands just continue North On the Richelieu river through all the marvelous locks and end up in The St-Lawrence in Old Montreal ;-)

We've been to Champlain once before and did it via 1,000 Is, Montreal, Richlieu Canal...
loved Montreal & the Richlieu but hated the big locks on the St Lawrence
The locks weren't bad just the wait times and lack of communication from Seaway control that made it unpleasant and made us decide to do both directions via Erie & Champlain canals.

Thanks for the reply and info - we do want to get to Burlington this trip.

We had the exact same experience, even had to over night one night because we were held so long. You get spoiled in the NY canal system and the Canadian rec canal system.
We've been to Champlain once before and did it via 1,000 Is, Montreal, Richlieu Canal...
loved Montreal & the Richlieu but hated the big locks on the St Lawrence
The locks weren't bad just the wait times and lack of communication from Seaway control that made it unpleasant and made us decide to do both directions via Erie & Champlain canals.

Thanks for the reply and info - we do want to get to Burlington this trip.

Back
Top Bottom