Library - new site feature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Pacifica
Vessel Make
Cape Dory
We have a new feature to house documents, manuals and schematics and forms. The TF Library. Look for the link in the top right corner of the site or CLick here.

Members can upload documents, add a short description and then other folks will be a able to browse and download as desired. this should be especially useful for hard to find manuals and schematics. we're still tweaking this a bit but it's up and running now. A couple of notes about this feature...

1. it doesn't play nicely with the mobile app so fire up a regular browser please.

2. When you upload a file, it must be approved by a moderator before it will display publically. We may eliminate this requirement but for now we are doing this to ensure that no malicious files, or poorly formatted content is loaded. Please be patient - this may take a few hours...

3. As we accumulate more content we may add some additional categories and move content around. :flowers:

Janet:

I got this message when I clicked on your link. I am using Win 8.1 with IE 11.

djmarchand, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Janet:

djmarchand, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Me too with Mac...:banghead:

Same message for me on my Mac using Safari.

Got the same message as djmarchand. This with Windows 7 on a Dell laptop.

Greetings,
Mr. dj & Ms. JH. Same message for me. So I am:
1. Underprivileged...

or
2. Disabled...

or, and this is what I suspect, all the bugs haven't been worked out yet. Good idea-a reference library. Does one have to worry about copyright issues?

Good idea-a reference library. Does one have to worry about copyright issues?

The Grand Banks owners forum has a fantastic "Manuals" section, similar to the library concept here. It has engine, transmission, generator, systems, electrical schematics, you-name-it manuals plus owners manuals for different models and years, magazine articles about GBs, American Marine and Grand Banks sales brochures, all sorts of stuff. So far as I can tell, there are no copyright issues.

The GB owners forum is a non-profit operation, however. No ads, no dues, etc. This is not the case here, so perhaps that might make a difference with regards to copyright.

Janet:

OK - I think this is sorted out now. Try again please.

Janet, works great on the Mac now, thanks!
Already uploaded a troubleshooting guide in response to a thread question.
Great addition to the site..............:thumb::thumb::thumb:

The GB site is NOT not-for-profit. Bob always wanted profits from it and his partner in the site argued n-f-p. Bob's partner is gone now so guess what?

For profit or not for profit abuse of copyrights makes no difference when it comes to breaking or defending somebody's copyrights. The only difference could be in the penalty and punitive judgement.

I would strongly suggest for the forum elders to define and enforce what can be put into the library. The copy of WING book published by MGH is an example of asking for ceased and deceased letter from their legal department. That's just not right.

For profit or not for profit abuse of copyrights makes no difference when it comes to breaking or defending somebody's copyrights. The only difference could be in the penalty and punitive judgement.

I would strongly suggest for the forum elders to define and enforce what can be put into the library. The copy of WING book published by MGH is an example of asking for ceased and deceased letter from their legal department. That's just not right.

Richard, the Wing book is readily available for download (for free) on the internet but you are right we do need guidelines as to what is allowed and what is not. I will ask for further clarification from legal.

The Charlie Wing book is copyrighted. What is available on the internet is probably a hacked version of the eBook. So it is illegal to copy or disseminate on this site and should be removed.

Now if you want to share the original site where it was found so we can violate the law individually, well........

David

Removed until "cleared"

The Charlie Wing book is copyrighted. What is available on the internet is probably a hacked version of the eBook. So it is illegal to copy or disseminate on this site and should be removed.

Now if you want to share the original site where it was found so we can violate the law individually, well........

David

Great Link!
Look forward to the reading material while sitting in my own "Tech Library".

Library

Janet...

Thanks - this is a great idea and a better way to make stuff available than the "Reference Material" threads I've tried to get started.

I'd suggest that a few suggestions / guidelines would be helpful...
e.g. if any post to the Manuals category started with the Mfg Name, equipment type, Manual Title / Type, model # (if applicable), it could make finding stuff a whole lot easier

e.g. Kohler, Marine Generator Set, Service Manul (or Operator Manual, or Parts Manual), Models:7EFOZD/9EOZD, 8.5EFOZD/10EOZD, 9EFOZD/10EOZD, TP-6270 11/10d

Even just the Mfg Name to start would allow alphabetic sorting very useful.

Thanks again

On August 3, 2015 I uploaded 5 files regarding Capilano hydraulic steering, to this date only one has been approved. How long should this process take. I guess I should have just emailed them to the member who was having problems with his system, hope he has got his system fixed.........:confused::thumb:

They have just been approved - somehow they got overlooked. (Time to lock up the grog, I guess....)

;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom