Leaking rudder shaft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
Last summer I noticed a bit of water coming from the rudder shaft (see picture). I'd like to fix that before launching the boat next week. Is there some kind of packing I should replace like on a prop shaft?

Attachments

• p5073930.jpg
    p5073930.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 482
Yeah,
Whilst the boat is out of the water, remove the gland, measure the packing space(possibly 1/4 to 3/8") remove the old packing. It has probably been in there a long time.
Use a pqacking extractoe(looks like a cork screw) or a screwdriver.
Clean the gland and the bolts etc.
Fit new packing, 1 ring at a time (scarf the joins at approx 45 deg) and also stagger the joins around the gland.
Use greasy hemp, teflon or better still Gortex packing, nip up the gland reasonably tightly then back it off a bit.
Once back in the water you may have to nip it up again to stop any leakage.

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Monday 9th of May 2011 12:46:22 AM

just like a shaft pack, just 25 times harder to get your hands onto. (on my boat).
for me the problem is always to get the packs in tight enough to get the thread to take..

Per wrote:
just like a shaft pack, just 25 times harder to get your hands onto. (on my boat).
for me the problem is always to get the packs in tight enough to get the thread to take..
*Put in a few packs, then tighten to compress them, then remove and add more.

The reality is that it is impossible to get any of the old packing out, even with the special tool. Also, the size packing that you will need to put in will be different than your shafts, so be prepared to improvise. I had a steady dribble, so replaced mine. I ended up tearing a packing apart, to get something that would actually go into the packing space. Fortunately, when I tightened up the gland, the leak stopped and hasn't re-appeared. Go for it and good luck.

Charles you were right about the nuts. They were loose. I took the gland off anyway, got some old packing out. From my understanding there are a few rings one on top of the
other? If so do i have to take it all out or can i just replace the top layer?

If you have the chance it is best to remove all the old packing.
As you put in the new turns pull the gland down to pack it in , this will enable you to put in as much as possible.
Pack it until you have enough thread to get a full nut or 2 if you have lock nuts(you should have these)

koliver wrote:
*Fortunately, when I tightened up the gland, the leak stopped and hasn't re-appeared. Go for it and good luck.
*Isn't is suppose to leak a little bit to act as a lubricant? Same as the stuffing box.

SD

SD,
AS there is not high rotational movement or pressure there is no real requirement for it to leak a little.
If using Teflon or Gortex packing it can be nipped up until the leakage stops.
Even on large vessels (ie 200,000 Tonne tankers the gland is nipped up to stop leakage.)

Thanks a lot Benn.
cry.gif

Now I have something else to work on.

I was suppose to go fishing this weekend.

SD

Never never work if you can go fishing.
It is way to important.
For every minute spent fishing the life clock stands still.

I am going at this this weekend.
Question does the boat need to be on the hard to replace / repair the rudder stuffing box. I did the shaft in the water. Also what size does the packing material come in. I figure I will take all sizes and return the ones I don't need.

SD

SD,
AS there is not high rotational movement or pressure there is no real requirement for it to leak a little.
If using Teflon or Gortex packing it can be nipped up until the leakage stops.
Even on large vessels (ie 200,000 Tonne tankers the gland is nipped up to stop leakage.)

The reason for it to leak a little (if a stainless shaft) is to allow oxygenated water to the stainless...less it will pit from lack of oxygen to keep it stainless..

My main shaft had some pretty bad pitting from sitting too long with too much, too tigfht packing.

Thanks I will keep that in mind.

SD

I am going at this this weekend.
Question does the boat need to be on the hard to replace / repair the rudder stuffing box. I did the shaft in the water. Also what size does the packing material come in. I figure I will take all sizes and return the ones I don't need.

SD
i changed mine when on dry but i think it is similar to a shaft packing, you can do it while in the wet.
there are different sizes, typically the ones for rudder is thinner than the one for the shafts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom