Lady J begins her journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilgewater

Vessel Name
Sunset Lady
Vessel Make
1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
After 4 years of working and fixing and planning, we're underway. Moved out of the apartment, stored some furniture at a friend's barn, left the truck with him, and moved aboard. My brother-in-law is crewing with me across Lake Erie, then the wife will join in Buffalo for our summer on the Erie Canal. Looking to head south in the fall and winter over in Florida. Hoping to meet up with some forum members on the way.

I would love to do the loop in my Gulf Star. I'll be interested in following your journey so keep posting please! Do you anticipate any clearance problems under the lowest bridge(s)?

I saw this posted here the other day, and it hit my heart.
If you haven't seen it before...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain – throw off the bowlines

Mark Twain – throw off the bowlines

Really strikes a chord.

Enjoy:thumb:

Excellent....I'm sure you'll enjoy your journey!

Wow....great news, Bilgewater. I'm mixed feelings right now....jealousy, inspiration, frustration, enthusiasm, hope. We just put our loop off for another year cuz my Admiral is still battling with her enormous quantity of stuff.

Larry, I am starting the loop this fall. Was counting on you as a buddy boat. Tell the Admiral that stuff can be stored or replaced, time cannot. (sounds good anyway) I still plan on a visit if you're available.

Bilgewater, I hope we can meet up as I plan on Florida this winter too.

Rafe

Use a tape measure and find out your air draft. My personal favorite way to figure out air draft is to go under a bridge and stop. measure the height of clearance to the bridge, and then the height to the water. then subtract. That way you remove any uncertainties about calculations. IIRC the clearance at buffalo is 15' 6" at the bridge across the sanitation plant. BUT it depends on the stage of the canal. There are a couple of bridges in the erie canal that are close. But the tide pool is more important. Depending upon the rainfall and runoff there may be close tolerances in the canal as you progress. Again, knowing your absolute max air draft is paramount.

Bilgewater, please enjoy the Journey! Hope to be there in 3-4 years ourselves.

With the mast lowered, our air draft is about 12.5 feet. We spent 7 weeks on the canal last summer as a shakedown trip. At one of the lower railroad bridges, we had to duck from the helm of the fly bridge to get under as the water level was up. That's why I have quick dis-connects on the bimini support rods. If I think it's going to be close, I lower the bimini and put it back up afterwards.

Healhustler and others: Getting rid of "stuff" is a big hurdle, but once started, it can be liberating. When we sold our house a year ago, we had family and friends come in a claim what they wanted. Then called an auction house to haul away what we weren't keeping. Got rid of more stuff when we closed out the apartment. Kept only some family heirloom furniture and some stuff that will fit in plastic containers, storing them in a friend's barn. He's keeping the truck as well, driving it every few weeks. The First Mate has done a nice job documenting the process on our blog sight.

Use a tape measure and find out your air draft. My personal favorite way to figure out air draft is to go under a bridge and stop. measure the height of clearance to the bridge, and then the height to the water. then subtract. That way you remove any uncertainties about calculations. IIRC the clearance at buffalo is 15' 6" at the bridge across the sanitation plant. BUT it depends on the stage of the canal. There are a couple of bridges in the erie canal that are close. But the tide pool is more important. Depending upon the rainfall and runoff there may be close tolerances in the canal as you progress. Again, knowing your absolute max air draft is paramount.

Be sure to measure from "low steel".

Lady J: when you get to the Florida gulf coast let me know. My Gulfstar 36 is at my dock behind my house and I will most likely have a dock open for you if you want to stop and rest for a bit. I am in zip code 33708. Have a great trip. Very happy for you.
M.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom