Grand Banks 32 extended hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MPS

I am looking at a 1992 GB 32 which the seller says was extended two feet when built at the Singapore yard. Does anyone have any information of know of a resource to confirm?

The extension part can't be anything but good IMO.

IMO .. "In my opinion"

This is funny. Not long ago I was complaining about too many acronyms now I'm over using them .....

How many feet is the extension and is the cabin extended too?
Oh I think I know the hull part. It's a swim-step that's part of the hull. So it's longer on the bottom but a regular 32 on the gunnel.

Didn't know they were building 32s as late as 92.

Last edited:
Grand Banks hull extension

The seller says it was extended two feet resulting in an extended cockpit. As long as the extension was engineered properly it may be a good thing. I just can't confirm if it was actually done at the factory at the time of initial construction or at all for that matter.

The listing ad dimensions are no different from the specifications of any other GB 32. I can't find any source on the web either.

I have received no response from my inquiries to Grand Banks. This would be my third GB so I am very enthusiastic about them.

Ask your question on the Grand Banks Owners Forum?

American Marine/Grand Banks would do custom work if a buyer was willing to pay for it. I've never seen reference to Grand Banks hull extensions done by the manufacturer on the Grand Banks owners forum, but if one has a question about this it might be worth posting it to the forum and to the attention of Bob Lowe who knows more about GBs than God. You have to join the forum in order to post to it. Grand Banks Owner's Resources

There are many companies/boatyards that do hull extensions. There is one here in Bellingham, for example. So it very well may be an aftermarket extension, which frankly sounds more plausible than an extension done by Grand Banks themselves.

There is a GB42 Europa here in Bellingham that has been converted into a commercial salmon troller. It has a hull extension to enlarge the cockpit/fish storage area. I have no idea who did the extension.

Last edited:
If done correctly, factory or after...it could be just fine.

Without seeing the boat, extension, drawings, layups...etc...etc or taking the builders word for it...and the reason for it in the design.....

How could anyone know whether its good or bad?

Just my opinion but I'm sure it's good. If it's built right.

However I'm assuming the hull is standard issue back to the transom .. And the lines extended from there. Most boats benefit from at least modest extension. In this case a CG issue is possible but if GB did it i't probably right. And any tanks in the Laz of the 32 would probably be moved aft or stayed in their original place depending on what the bias of the CG in the standard boat was. For example if the std 32 was a bit heavy aft the tanks would most likely not be moved aft with the extension. Ect ......

MPS-- I asked about the GB32 hull extension on the GB owners forum. I will let you know here if I get any useful information for you.

GB 32 hull extension

Thanks for checking on the GB forum! As far as the extension, the pictures show a swim step...not a hull extension beyond the transom. The pictures don't show a larger cockpit but that may just be the angle of the photo.

I appreciate everyone's input!

MPS,
Can you post the pics?

Well apparently it Dosn't have a Nordic Tug Butt.

Last edited:
The pictures are on boatshed.com...the boat is in Washington.

I spent a good bit of time with a GB 46+4. Europa 46 with 4' stuck on the back. It was done at the factory, and from the looks of it, it was all done in one mold.

If you looked really close, you could see just a hint of kinks in the fake planking lines. Otherwise, no issues structurally.

Almost any boat is better if stretched out a bit.

Too many short fat boats out there.

Thanks for checking on the GB forum! As far as the extension, the pictures show a swim step...not a hull extension beyond the transom. The pictures don't show a larger cockpit but that may just be the angle of the photo.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Sounds like the "extension" is just a longer/over sized swim platform.

Bill that's what I meant by "Tug Butt" as Nordics do a lot of that. Wouldn't take much more boat building to complete the job and if one is worried about moorage install a fold down swim step like Mark's. Could even be harder and more expensive to build.

Ski,
"Too many short fat boats out there" .... On that I'm a serious subscriber but w my high moorage rates I'm not look'in for a longer boat. Too many people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom