Eurohelm Installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AT34 Nekas

Vessel Name
Nekas
Vessel Make
American Tug 34
Does anyone have experience installing a St. Croix Eurohelm in an AB9.5AL dinghy? Power is a Nissan/Tohatsu 9.8hp 4-stroke weighing in at 88 lbs. Specifically, I would like to know the optimal location to mount the helm (how far ahead of the transom); part of my intent is to get some weight forward to help keep the bow down. Also, what fasteners should be used going into the aluminum floor? Toggles vs. lag screws, size, material; adhesive or sealant? Any concerns with stainless joining aluminum? The dink spends 98% of the time hanging on the davits out of the water.

Advice appreciated.

Rob

Maybe set you and the helm in the tender, or something that weighs the same as the helm, and go for a ride to get a feel for where it might need to be.

As to fasteners, if the aluminum is thick enough thread it. If not, perhaps large closed end sealing POP rivets would work.

How did the installation go? Pics? What fasteners did you use?

The installation went fine. I used threaded inserts and 5400 applied modestly. The inserts (AKA zip nuts) are put in with something like a rivet tool. They are aluminum (as is the floor), the screws are SS and I used loctite. Since the dink spends most of the time dry on the davit I decided not to worry about the mixed metals. Seems very solid. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434080654.933681.jpg.

Rob

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I just bought a eurohelm and also have an aluminum rib, so this info is very helpful.

Thanks for the post. I just checked out St. Croix Eurohelm looks like a great product that solves the tiller problem some have.

We put one in our dinghy a few years ago. We had it done when we put a new outboard and new davits on so I can't say hoe they determined where it should go in the boat. We also added a matching smaller seat up front a bit later. Both have been great additions to the dinghy.

Attachments

• mv Archimedes dinghy after.jpg
    mv Archimedes dinghy after.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 457
I would like to say the placement was very scientific, but frankly the length of the steering cable dictated where I put the helm. And it seems like the location is fine. I also put a new outboard on, as my Honda 9.9 tiller could not be converted to forward controls. So I'm still breaking in the new Nissan and have not yet gotten to the point of putting the dink up on plane. But at this point I'm happy with the results.

Rob

Rusty, I like the seat up front. Where did you find that?

Back
Top Bottom