Battery replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. AGM.

Ran for 4 hours and stopped for fuel. Dead.

Alternator is putting out 14.2 volts.

Ill check the terminals at the actual battery when I stop.

Can you check the voltage at the starter battery when the alternator is putting out 14.2 V? If it's low then there's a problem with the charging system. Yet another possibility is that the duo charger has died. You can check the voltage going into and out of that unit when the alternator or shore charger is running. If the output voltage is low then it could be dead. Check those two fuses too.

Richard

I agree with everything Britannia said :thumb:

And I agree with Larry's suggestion :)

A combiner switch is useful. I installed one on my sailboat when I added a separate starter battery. On Stillwater the switches are set up so that I could use the house bank to start the engine or either of the generators

Richard

Larry and Richard are spot on. If you'd like help while you're probing around with a DVM, feel free to call my cell. nine one six 3 6 7 9 0 0 3.

Ok. Thanks everyone. I will check it out tonight.

Is there any huge problem with continuing to use the combiner to start it until I get it figured out?

Not that I can see. You just be starting from your house bank.

Just be careful not to run down your house bank if you're spending time on the hook. If you do then you won't be able to start your engine. That's the main purpose of having a separate starter battery.

Richard

Greetings,
Mr. dude. AGM? Forget my suggestion. DOH!

giphy.gif

No problem RT. Keep the info coming.

Just be careful not to run down your house bank if you're spending time on the hook. If you do then you won't be able to start your engine. That's the main purpose of having a separate starter battery.

Richard

Yeah. That's a concern. We are planning on being on the hook a few nights, but alternating between marinas.

I'm just pissed off at myself for cheap ing out and not installing the start battery when I was in there doing the house bank. Stupid !!

Run the genny. You'll like the nice cool air, and so will your wife. Yours should be quiet since its in a sound shield and in a separate room away from your master stateroom. We run ours all the time.

Greetings,
Mr. dude. Stop beating yourself up. EVERYTHING on your boat is broken, you just don't know it yet...

Actually I have. I think this start battery is toast. Won't take a charge.

This is normal, most start batts will not recharge if discharged too far.

user_offline.gif

Back
Top Bottom