Time to Travel ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Rive

Vessel Name
currently boatless
I may be picking up a boat in the Chesapeake later this summer, and would want to bring it to Toronto. Can anybody suggest how much travel time I should allow to reach Toronto via the shortest route (canals etc.). I would not travel overnight and the boat does 7kts. Any suggestions and recommendations from Loopers would be appreciated.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard if I've missed you. I cannot give you any recent information BUT historically, the Erie Canal is fairly dependent on water levels. Not too little water, too much. I expect the most direct route will be out the Chesapeake, turn to port (left) to NYC, (there may be canals along this route but I am unaware of them, so I suspect you may be running outside) turn to port (left) and thence up the Hudson to the Federal dam/locks in Troy, NY. Keep in mind, the Hudson is tidal up to this point (Troy) and your SOG will be affected.

From the Chesapeake bay to the Southern tip of NJ you can go either on the ocean side or up the Chesapeake across the C&D canal and out Delaware Bay. Unless theres a weather issue or we want to stop in Annapolis we always take the ocean route. It's faster.

Going up through NJ to NY harbor its out in the Atlantic.

If you want to stop and look around at various places I understand not traveling overnight. If your goal is just to get to Toronto I would reconsider not doing overnights. You'll loose not just the time at dock but possibly the weather windows also.

Norfolk to NY harbor at 7 knots should be about 42 hrs as a straight run on the outside. On the flip side if you're picking up the boat up the bay closer to the canal, it may be best to go across the canal and down Delaware bay. If so time it so the current is with you coming out of Delaware bay, otherwise you'll be there forever.

If you have an iPad, check out Garmins nav app. its pretty good for planning.

Last edited:
I would say allow 2 weeks going via the ICW and the canal system. A few of those days would be pretty long ones.
This assumes the weather will allow you to be able to travel the Delaware River/Bay and Manasquan to NYC when you are ready and minimal delays in the Erie.

Great - thanks. I think I will add a one-week fudge factor. Now I just have to buy the boat. Cheers.

Now I just have to buy the boat. Cheers.
Welcome David, you will also want to spend some time after the purchase to make sure all is in working order before getting under way. Good luck with the purchase and enjoy the trip if the stars align. From on 7 knot guy to another.

Allan & Ann - hello. I live in Markham, and am looking very seriously at a Great Harbour N37. If the deal proceeds, I believe I will be the first Canadian to own one. Right now there are lots of moving parts before this firms up. And thanks for the advice - I would certainly do a thorough shake-down before I head out of the Chesapeake. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom