Replacing Holding Tank Air Vent Fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
My holding tank has a 90deg elbow fitting that has cracked. It appears to be glued in place and not able to simply unscrew and replace. Has anyone a source for a replacement that can me bedded with 5200 or such? I'm thinking ideally a round 2"or 3" plate that has a threaded center that an elbow could be threaded into. I can use a hole saw and drill out the existing fitting and install this over the hole.

You are describing a pipe flange.
pn6-pn10-pn16-pn25-pn40-threaded-flange-metal-pipe-fittings.jpg

A couple of suggestions...

Is there an inspection plate in the top? - if not you might consider adding one near / above the existing vent.

You could access the inside via the inspection plate and install a small bulkhead fitting for the new vent

The same outfit sells a relocation kit w/ inspection plate and 2 fittings and a vent

google "nylon pipe flange". I think you'll find it

Help��. I've tired everything to stop odor filling bathroom with stink, and I don't mean after doing # 2. When I flush toilet it smells bad no matter how much chemical in poop tank. What's the problem.

Do a site search. Lots of suggestions in previous post.

My holding tank has a 90deg elbow fitting that has cracked. It appears to be glued in place and not able to simply unscrew and replace. Has anyone a source for a replacement that can me bedded with 5200 or such? I'm thinking ideally a round 2"or 3" plate that has a threaded center that an elbow could be threaded into. I can use a hole saw and drill out the existing fitting and install this over the hole.

There's a very simple solution that makes adding or relocating fittings in water and waste tanks very easy and VERY inexpensive: a li'l doodad called the Uniseal. UNISEAL Uniseal Instructions THEY DO NOT LEAK.

Use a hole saw to remove the existing fitting, replace it with the correct size Uniseal...a 90 degree plumbing fittting becomes the new hose barb...done.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. merm'. Welcome aboard. Aside from searching the archives, you might try eliminating the use of chemicals and try to cultivate an active colony of microbes in your holding tank. These little buggers will eat up your waste and in doing so, pretty well eliminate any really bad odors from your vent. Yes, you may still have some odor but if you keep your colony happy, it will be minimal.

Help��. I've tired everything to stop odor filling bathroom with stink, and I don't mean after doing # 2. When I flush toilet it smells bad no matter how much chemical in poop tank. What's the problem.

Fresh or salt water flush?

Uniseals work great. I used them when I replaced my tank a few years back.

I think Capt Bill and PSNeeld are on the right track for mermaidgigi's question. Raw water flushing will bring in bits of sea weed that get caught in the rim of the bowl. They rot there and stink. A sea strainer on the intake line helps a lot.

Get a copy of the Head Mistresses book. See her post above.

Oh yeah, Welcome Aboard! You should introduce yourself over in the Welcome Mat forum.

Any chance there is another source of discharge into the holding tank?

If not your vent line is probably too small or obstructed .

The stunk air displaced by the flush should go outside!

We had stink as well. Found my vent line, vent, and fitting totally clogged. Replaced fittings and vent line. I noticed the toilet pumps a lot easier now, no back pressure. We are also using only fresh water when at the dock. It has made a huge difference. Good Luck!

We also added a charcoal filter in the vent line.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom