How Reliable is your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember the first day I put away Calder's. That was a day to celebrate. I got on the phone and called all my friends though I didn't confess why. I might have mentioned it in the Log Book. It was a Big Day.

When I was the Kidlet, it was my job to help Daddy in the bilge. Fixing boats? Well, I'm not an expert though I did get a spanking for completely dismantling the fuse box on our boat. I remember that one.

The worst part was they took away my screwdrivers! I was about four or five years old, and enjoyed dismantling stuff.

Mother, when Alzheimer's took her over started taking things apart too. Lamps, radios, etc. I got my revenge for that long ago spanking by taking her tool box and hiding it.

Greetings,
There is a Quote in the movie "7 Years in Tibet" spoken by the "Dalai Lama"...
"We have a saying in Tibet: If a problem can be solved there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be solved, worrying will do no good."

There is big difference between incessant "worry" about a (any) problem and thoughtful "concern" to correctly, calmly address and overcome problem.

Worry can create kneejerk or incorrect actions. Concern tends to clear the mind for finding best/good solutions.

There is big difference between incessant "worry" about a (any) problem and thoughtful "concern" to correctly, calmly address and overcome problem.

Worry can create kneejerk or incorrect actions. Concern tends to clear the mind for finding best/good solutions.

It's a bit like an athlete's or a musician's nerves. There's a certain amount of anticipation and build up to a game or performance that puts them at peak performance level, but too much and it takes over and they play or perform lousy.

I don't worry when on the boat because I know we prepared. A very simple example. I don't find myself worrying, did I check this, oh I need to check that, what about this though. I have check lists. Before I leave the dock, the list is completely checked. No wondering if I missed an item. I even have reminders set for the cruise so I don't have to worry.

When I traveled on business my biggest concern was oversleeping and being late somewhere. That worry could actually keep me from sleeping. Hotel wake up calls are about as dependable as a politician's promises. However, I always left a wake up call, set the alarm in the room and had multiple alarms on my cell phone, at least four. But I slept soundly that way and never overslept.

Not sure what he meant but there are a tremendous number of boats here with more than two engines. Buyers of center consoles today don't debate one vs. two, they debate two vs. three vs. four and 300 hp vs 350 hp vs 557 hp. There are center consoles around here with outboards totally up to 2248 hp.

I was referring to the amount of boats with multiple engines. You nailed it, should they get the 300, 350 special edition or hair go for the 557, or now 627???

I was referring to the amount of boats with multiple engines. You nailed it, should they get the 300, 350 special edition or hair go for the 557, or now 627???

We bought a center console with triple Yamaha 300's and people couldn't understand why we didn't get bigger engines or quads. It's under-powered in their minds as WOT is only 56 knots.

This was a great thread earlier and as I prepare to leave on an extended trip, I suffer from constant worry. I am constantly doing an informal risk, assessment of our vessel.

The advantage of growing older is that you know more and have experienced more. The disadvantage of growing older is that you know more and have experienced more.

Which means that, having experienced more, you can imagine more things that can go wrong, require more effort than you thought, and so on. In other words, as you get older and have more life-experience under your belt, it becomes easier and easier to talk yourself out of doing things because the adventure can be overcome by the risk assessement.

I find that overcoming the tendency to talk myself out of doing things is far more difficult that actually doing them. We've flown a floatplane back and forth to SE Alaska and the BC interior so many times we can probably do it while sound asleep.

Operating the two boats we have in the PNW or a narrowboat in the UK has become second nature to us. We no longer have to think much about what lever to push or pull when, or what to do with the wheel/tiller.

But..... having learned a hell of a lot along the way, what we can now do is anticiapte all kinds of horror stories and situations that we never even conceived could happen back in our "newbie" days.

I took trips back in my twenties--- shipping my Land Rover from Honolulu to the mainland and driving for five weeks on the worst roads in the Yukon and then shipping it back to Hawaii, for example---- that I would probably not do today. I still have the Land Rover, the Yukon is still there, the roads we travelled are probably just as bad, but when I think of the effort I and my friend put into the journey, and all the things that could have gone wrong but didn't (probably because we didn't think of them), I'm not sure I'd want to put the effort into it again.

So make sure your boat's in as good a condition as you can practically make it, have the equipment you need on board, have contingency plans for the basic things that might go wrong, and then put your major effort into not worrying about stuff but about how cool the experience is going to be.

Most boaters don't die when something goes wrong. They deal with it. Thinking about it later is generally more scary than dealing with it at the time. So be prepared, but make an effort not to worry.

I'm half-French and have my father's natural pessimism about everything. So my biggest task before any undertaking is pushing the worry into the background. And I continue to find that getting out and doing things, despite the ease of talking oneself out of it, is ALWAYS worth the effort.

Have a great cruise.

We bought a center console with triple Yamaha 300's and people couldn't understand why we didn't get bigger engines or quads. It's under-powered in their minds as WOT is only 56 knots.

Seriously? Only trips?! Just kidding. Yeah it's crazy. A 35' boat with twins can hit 60+. It's q about what you choose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom