Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems to me the kids ought to be paying for your travel. You're the only reason they're even here. So they owe you big time, right?:)

I know if they could, they would.

When all 10 kids and grandkids came walking down the dock towards the boat someone on the dock told me, "Ah yes. I love my children too. I love it when they come see me and then I love to see em go!"

We're at the latter stage now. God bless em.

Let me include a quick update on my prop situation. The estimate for repair of both props is just over $800. This is in addition to thee $300 to get them off and back on. Still keeping my pride in my pocket where my wallet used to go.

For the other new captains out there that might be following this thread, I offer these items for viewing so that you might avoid my mistakes:

1) These big boats are not your Daddy's pontoon boat.
2) Stay in marked channels and pay attention to the depth sounder.
3) Know your draft
4) even the smallest mistakes are costly when the item has "Marine" anywhere in the title!

Fair seas and God Bless.

When all 10 kids and grandkids came walking down the dock towards the boat someone on the dock told me, "Ah yes. I love my children too. I love it when they come see me and then I love to see em go!"

We're at the latter stage now. God bless em.

Let me include a quick update on my prop situation. The estimate for repair of both props is just over $800. This is in addition to thee $300 to get them off and back on. Still keeping my pride in my pocket where my wallet used to go.

For the other new captains out there that might be following this thread, I offer these items for viewing so that you might avoid my mistakes:

1) These big boats are not your Daddy's pontoon boat.
2) Stay in marked channels and pay attention to the depth sounder.
3) Know your draft
4) even the smallest mistakes are costly when the item has "Marine" anywhere in the title!

Fair seas and God Bless.

Hey Father, I find it quite impressive your fast climb in the boat learning curve! From student to teacher in 2 months!!!! Really have enjoyed your shared journey from dirt to water! I will have all grandkids/kids on board for the 4th..looking forward to having them.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. I'll second Mr. rc's sentiments. If I may be so bold to add 1 additional "heads up" item to your list: 5) Do not leave the helm unattended whilst underway.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. I'll second Mr. rc's sentiments. If I may be so bold to add 1 additional "heads up" item to your list: 5) Do not leave the helm unattended whilst underway.

Absolutely!

If you want to polish your props it is better to do it off the boat, then in the sand at low tide!

Do you think you may have damaged the shafts? If after installing your spares, you still have a vibration, check the shafts and couplings.

If you want to polish your props it is better to do it off the boat, then in the sand at low tide!

Do you think you may have damaged the shafts? If after installing your spares, you still have a vibration, check the shafts and couplings.

I am praying the shafts are ok. Diver said cutless bearings seemed fine but, as you said, I can't be sure until props are back on. I sure do not want to have to haul her out.

God! George... We should have had further phone about what ta do after you close da deal! You are learning well (but somewhat costly) on your own personal up-curve boating-experience graph.

Another IMPORTANT item about boating is the "punch list" of things to do (or keep track-of / record on) when coming aboard, while aboard, when going off board.

Reason for this is to keep all boat items in best condition and to minimize chances for unexpected problems or even (God forbid) severe, costly problems such as major mechanical breakdown or ultra-catastrophes such as fire.

Wish I had time to list the basics. Search feature in TF will provide previous threads dealing with such.

Perhaps others will chime in here to clarify / list what I just began.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art

God! George... We should have had further phone about what ta do after you close da deal! You are learning well (but somewhat costly) on your own personal up-curve boating-experience graph.

Another IMPORTANT item about boating is the "punch list" of things to do (or keep track-of / record on) when coming aboard, while aboard, when going off board.

Reason for this is to keep all boat items in best condition and to minimize chances for unexpected problems or even (God forbid) severe, costly problems such as major mechanical breakdown or ultra-catastrophes such as fire.

Wish I had time to list the basics. Search feature in TF will provide previous threads dealing with such.

Perhaps others will chime in here to clarify / list what I just began.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art

Thanks Art my friend!

Props not back today. Feels so strange to be on a boat that can't move. Me no Rikey!

Props not back today. Feels so strange to be on a boat that can't move. Me no Rikey!

FrG, at least no-one's called you a sirry irriot...

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434170086.252994.jpgthats me!

I`ve never seen anyone go from not boating to full on boating so fast, an "indiscretion" or two were more or less inevitable. Think how well you coped in that challenging slip.
A highly experienced and competent former diesel guy, lured by $ from marine to fixing engines on land, said he hated leaving a boat in an inoperable condition. He had a point, maybe you are experiencing something similar, it just feels wrong.

I`ve never seen anyone go from not boating to full on boating so fast, an "indiscretion" or two were more or less inevitable. Think how well you coped in that challenging slip.
A highly experienced and competent former diesel guy, lured by $ from marine to fixing engines on land, said he hated leaving a boat in an inoperable condition. He had a point, maybe you are experiencing something similar, it just feels wrong.

""" I`ve never seen anyone go from not boating to full on boating so fast, """ Agreed x 10!

May I suggest Gentle, Gentle / Patience, Patience are operative words in most cases of boat handling. If a problem arises and there is not likelihood of sinking, immediate oncoming, damaging crash, or loss of life and limb... tis better to think things over than to too quickly react. That method might save dollars and could keep bigger smiles on all aboard.

BTW, Dear Friar George - When way in the future you get into Heaven... Remember that going from full on Earth living to eternity kickback might result in certain indiscretion's too. If you ever get grounded up there... just remember the tide will rise! "..., thy will be done." :D :whistling:

""" I`ve never seen anyone go from not boating to full on boating so fast, """ Agreed x 10!

May I suggest Gentle, Gentle / Patience, Patience are operative words in most cases of boat handling. If a problem arises and there is not likelihood of sinking, immediate oncoming, damaging crash, or loss of life and limb... tis better to think things over than to too quickly react. That method might save dollars and could keep bigger smiles on all aboard.

BTW, Dear Friar George - When way in the future you get into Heaven... Remember that going from full on Earth living to eternity kickback might result in certain indiscretion's too. If you ever get grounded up there... just remember the tide will rise! "..., thy will be done." :D :whistling:

Gentle and steady as she goes. Aye aye Sir! And thank you for the kind words.

"Take the plunge", expect to get wet. Some "know alls" will disagree, but we are all learning, always.

Props coming back tomorrow. Can't wait. We have had to just sit here and watch everyone else head to the Bahamas! Never again....I hope!

Props coming back tomorrow. Can't wait. We have had to just sit here and watch everyone else head to the Bahamas! Never again....I hope!

Friar G - Never is a BIG word! But, I bet cha in this case and context it may be possible to attain... due to your recent learning experience. Always keep an eye on the depth sounder... too!

When it comes to running aground or a prop strike...

There are those that have and there are those that will.

Welcome to the "those that have" club. I'm a slow learner....I've done it 4 times. Once soft aground while a friend was driving and I was not paying attention, twice unseen submerged objects like logs and once something like a sunken car or boat that gouged my paint and torqued my port side running gear; prop, shaft and strut. That last one was expensive, but covered by insurance.

Friar G - Never is a BIG word! But, I bet cha in this case and context it may be possible to attain... due to your recent learning experience. Always keep an eye on the depth sounder... too!

Amen! Staying in the marked lanes when there are some is also my new Mantra. This ICW can change from 4 ft to 1 ft in a heartbeat.

I learned a lot and paid dearly for it. I am smart enough though to admit I still have a lot to learn and that I am willing to do just that!

But, having said that, it saddens me to see all the boats right in this marina that never go anywhere. I'd rather go, make mistakes and learn that sit in a water bound condo!

Last edited:
Amen! Staying in the marked lanes when there are some is also my new Mantra. This ICW can change from 4 ft to 1 ft in a heartbeat.

I learned a lot and paid dearly for it. I am smart enough though to admit I still have a lot to learn and that I am willing to do just that!

But, having said that, it saddens me to see all the boats right in this marina that never go anywhere. I'd rather go, make mistakes and learn that sit in a water bound condo!

You GO Dude!

BTW... Did you know that God created Mermaids for us mariners?? :dance:

Not mentioned in the Big Book... but I know it's true - cause I married one!! :D Seems you did too! :thumb:

Props going back on as I write. Yee Haa!ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435066420.847297.jpg

Ain't they purty! ?

I was wondering if you were going to give us a pic....

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Woo-hoo. You're back in business. "...my new Mantra." Indeed, a good mantra BUT it's not always gospel. Islands, coral and rock shoals usually stay put but sand and mud can and does readily shift under the influence of tides and bad storms (usually around inlets). So stay in the channel, stay at the helm and watch the depth sounder. If EVER in doubt, STOP or at least slow dramatically and assess the situation, then proceed gingerly...

Next is to take her out and see if there is any vibration. Praying there is none cause that means a loose strut, bearing or bent shaft. I hate to even write these words into existence! Going for test drive Thursday and will let group know.

Sorry for the long wait. We have had more company on this boat in the last month than we did in twenty years on our ranch in TX! Seems a boat makes you popular. It has worn us out. Phew!

So at last post we were going to take Ten Knots out after props were put back on to check for vibrations, to insure struts and shafts did not also get bent up.

I am happy to report that she runs smooth as silk now. No issues at all.

So, we are moving forward with our trip to Bimini! A short 46-48 miles from Ft. Lauderdale. Just the wife and I. We have made two runs down to Miami and back with no issues. I have gone over the engines and Genny . All seems in order.

This will be our first Atlantic crossing to anywhere. We are very excited about it. Of course, we are a little anxious but building confidence in ourselves and our ship are a large reason for the trip. I have plenty of spares and tools too.

I understand there is a new entrance to Bimini and we are researching that. We plan to travel at 8 knots so I am estimating about a six hour trip. We plan to leave at 3am and that should put us there around 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

As we have done before, we would invite any local wisdom and thoughts from you kind folks before heading out.

The channel is easy. They're starting dredging operations which makes things a little tricky as I talked to someone there that was there recently and he said they attempted to dredge the channel on the 4th (their dumb) and everyone was wacking the semi submerged dredge pipe. Favor STB side coming in the whole way, plus keep your eye out for the dredge.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the channel right after you make a port turn, just favor STB. Unless there's a down pour it's real easy to do visually.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436367557.601672.jpg
This picture wasn't taken on a nice day..

Back
Top Bottom