WiFi camera recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Britannia

Wannabe
Vessel Name
Stillwater
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi,

I'd like to buy some WiFi cameras that I can display on Coastal Explorer. I plan to put a couple in the engine room and one external one on the stern to help with maneuvering.

Does anyone have recommendations for cameras to suit these tasks?

Thanks

Richard
Stillwater
KK54 #5

We had a thread on this a couple months back. Do a search and it will pop up. Lots of information.

I use the Dlink units. Pick your model.

Easy to program, easy to use.

We had a thread on this a couple months back. Do a search and it will pop up. Lots of information.

I normally do a search before I post. I was being lazy tonight - mea culpa!

I have started to read the threads I found - definitely some useful stuff in there. I have a simpler use case than many of the posters. I don't desire to access the cameras over the internet - I will be living on the boat and just want a simple wifi camera setup that I can either feed directly into Coastal Explorer or use with a simple app if that's not possible. I also don't need infrared capability since that's really just a way of having non-human-visible light for nighttime use where light would be a problem. In the ER I am happy to leave the lights on the whole time I am underway. Some kind of remote control sounds interesting, but if the cost is too high I could happily go with more fixed cameras of a lower unit cost. The "backup" camera would need to be weatherproof.

I was hoping to get references to cameras people have successfully used. It seems like the answer is to just try consumer grade wifi cameras that should be easy to configure and use given my simple requirements.

Richard

I use the Dlink units. Pick your model.

Easy to program, easy to use.

Thanks - I started looking at these when I saw your posts in previous threads. They look interesting - though they have more capabilities than I need. As I just posted, I don't need remote access via the internet - just the ability to view them from the helm. I will probably just hunt around for inexpensive basic wifi cams.

Thanks

Richard

This may not be relevent to your problem, but I just stumbled across a neat trick. Use an old, inactived smartphone as a camera and connect to it using the wifi hotspot from your active smartphone. I'm looking at this as an alternative to an expensive spotting scope at the range. An app called TrackView is what I am experimenting with. There are apps available for home monitoring too.

Back
Top Bottom