Are they Sirius?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
The Sirius company has come out with an emergency distress light they claim eliminates the need for pyrotechnic flares on vessels. At 100 bucks a pop, I want to see something from the US Coast Guard to back up that claim. Anybody see anything to that effect?

thought the SOS light and an orange flag did that already....

Ask the company that makes them to prove their claim...

All I can find is their claim which I guess would be true.....?

Fulfills all Coast Guard requirements (46 CFR 161.013) for marine distress signals when combined with our included Distress Flag.

Until I see an official statement that the device "negates the requirement for carrying pyrotechnic devices on board" I'm not buying one.

Until I see an official statement that the device "negates the requirement for carrying pyrotechnic devices on board" I'm not buying one.

Absolutely, I can see it now, really Mr.LEO Sir they said that I don't need flares with this new fangled light.

anyone agree the SOS light satisfies the flare reg?

the way I read it ...it does...

SOS light at night, orange flag for the day.

if you have flares, 3 are required and they are good for day or night.

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/ACR/ACR1842.html

Night Visual Distress Signal

• Pair with DistresS.O.S. inflatable flag to meet coastal day and night visual distress signal requirements
  • Safe alternative to pyrotechnics; no more handling, replacement and disposal of dangerous flares
  • Flashes S.O.S Morse Code when ON (..._ _ _ ...)
  • Protective stuff sack included

Last edited:
Greetings,
IF an SOS strobe and an orange flag fulfill the USCG requirements to the letter, I'll most definitely look into that. I always feel bad about delegating my expired flares to the backup bag. A necessary "waste" I suppose.

giphy.gif

Greetings,
IF an SOS strobe and an orange flag fulfill the USCG requirements to the letter, I'll most definitely look into that. I always feel bad about delegating my expired flares to the backup bag. A necessary "waste" I suppose.

I agree....while I have little faith in flares...rarely ever rescued someone using them....having a few is not out of the question in my mind.

Keeping up to 10 year old flares as backup is pretty common and a very high probability they will work. So after 10 years, having 9-12 viable flares isn't too bad.

I would definitely have several much better tech distress devices though.

Testing a 10 year old flare.

Attachments

• Flare.jpg
    Flare.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 102
Interesting...only one I have seen documented in probably thousands of reported shot being out of date.

Testing during the winter. Was able to toss into a snow bank. It only takes 1.

So, take the manufacture's statement and email it to the USCG and see what they say???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom