Two tone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipeliner

Veteran Member
We were looking at present Trawler but the wife noticed slightly different colors between top and bottom of boat. Any ideas on what caused it. PO said it never was painted . What can be done to fix it besides a whole paint job ??? ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433436420.853220.jpg

If the price is right, maybe it's a non-issue????

I've noticed some of the newer KK's are like that too. I don't get it either.

My guess: two different molds gelcoated with different batches, that wasn't noticable when new, but has changed color over time.

If it's a difference in shades between the deck up, and the gunnels downward, my first assumption would be sunlight. The decks and superstructure are going to be in direct sunlight more than the hull. If the owner didn't keep her waxed, I could see that happening.

Other than that, I'd probably have to go with Northern Spy and say differing molds.

OD

Could it be from the same paint applied to different materials or with a different primer? Or maybe the 'house' was painted in one part of the plant and the hull in another?

Just guessing.

Sometimes the deck colour is somewhat muted to reduce glare from the sun. I've always assumed that was behind the KK colours and some of the early Willards.

On a new purchase years ago we were advised to go with a smokey white deck colour vs a pure white for that reason.

Get a price for a complete boat awl-grip job. She will think the boat looks just fine when she sees that number.

The price is right, it's just the Admiral is OCD..

Well in that case, get her a pair of these spiffy two-tone sunglasses and never take her to the boat without them.

Attachments

• two-tone-sunglasses.jpg
    two-tone-sunglasses.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 151
Our President 41 IS painted and, as has been mentioned, the shade of white looks different above and below the toe rail sometimes. It depends on the angle of the sun. In our case the reality is that the color is actually the same above and below.

Marty....................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom