Old 06-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #51
Panope

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Thanks Janice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Hello Steve. Your system looks great. Help me understand though... in picture two there is a metal U-shape (extended 'u') that goes over the gunnel. Is that welded to your post or ??

The U-shape that the gunnel fits into is indeed welded to the post with a heavy gusset. I fabricated that shape to just fit the Walkerbay. A set of SS pins pass through the U-shape and gunnel to secure. If I change to a different dinghy, I will have to make a new shape or perhaps a clever adapter could be fashioned.

Also, I see two lines aft to the port and starboard corners of the dink but nothing forward? Did I miss something. How do you get your Walker Bay up and down?

In addition to the two lines (plastic covered cable) that you identified, a third line runs forward and under the bow seat. It is not very visible in that picture. So, just the single hoisting line is all that is needed. Once the gunnel is freed from the U-shape, the dinghy does swing and bonk into the mother ship. The plastic construction of the Walkerbay makes this a non-issue.

I've a similar centerline davit so my upper looks like yours -- just need to figure out the inboard part of the dinghy, as in how to hold it in place.

Yep, that u-shape channel is what makes this all practical. Without it, it would take a spider web of lines to keep the dingy from flogging all over the place. A dinghy that takes time to deploy or stow will reduce the number of uses of that dinghy.

And yes, I know I could place it on the swim platform. The problem with that is I could not get out of the water -- it would block my swim steps. Being able to self-rescue is important, especially since I'm a soloist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Davit 008.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	40993