How Reliable is your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Jim,

Thought this quote attributed to Mark Twain would resonate with you;

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

You've done the work to know your boat as best you can in the time you've had Phoenix Hunter...at some point you just have to go for it :thumb:

Last edited:
I've done a lot of "going for it" w my hang gliding, motorcycling and boating but vehicles are only as safe as where they are. If your boat was in a swimming pool 6"deeper than your draft you would have a very safe boat. But if you were in the Aleutian Islands 6 hrs before a big atmospheric depression was about to grip the area your boat would, in a way, not be very safe.

Now that we're down here in Wash State I've had thoughts about changing my anchor rode and doing other things to adjust my safety factor to my geographical location. However I didn't have as much need for AIS in Alaska so it goes both ways.

When you're underway though where you go with the boat can greatly effect the safety of the boat. Two degrees this way or that could smash you right into a rock.

I knew a very experienced, circumnavigating sailor who had a contingency plan for virtually every possibility and every piece of gear on any boat he was piloting. He literally went from stem to stern cataloging everything, OCD to the max. Thing was, he was delightful to sail with, carefree and loosey goosey as can be. I said man, you are an entirely different person out on the water than at the dock. His reply " because now, I don't have anything to worry about!"

Your ER pictures tell a story. Looks like you've got it where it counts. Great boating! Hope to be there soon myself.

Glen

I knew a very experienced, circumnavigating sailor who had a contingency plan for virtually every possibility and every piece of gear on any boat he was piloting. He literally went from stem to stern cataloging everything, OCD to the max. Thing was, he was delightful to sail with, carefree and loosey goosey as can be. I said man, you are an entirely different person out on the water than at the dock. His reply " because now, I don't have anything to worry about!"

Preparation is the mother of victory.

One important key to success is confidence. The key to confidence is preparation.

Then this quote from Steve Nash:

You have to rely on your preparation. You got to really be passionate and try to prepare yourself more than anyone else, and put yourself in position to succeed, and when the moment comes you got to enjoy, relax, breathe and rely on your preparation so that you can perform and not be anxious or filled with doubt.

I'm a bit obsessive regarding covering all bases, developing knowledge. We've taken training in fire fighting, medical officer in charge, and rescue, all mainly for our comfort as we go out. We hope to avoid ever needing to use any of that, but when the question comes up "what would you do if", we at least have an answer. I figure if you're prepared for the worst case, it will help you handle everything short of that in stride and fully enjoy your boating.

I am probably a bit like the sailor you knew. It's a key to my enjoyment. I'm absolutely not a risk taker so I must manage the risks. I went on a zip line last year for the first time. Never thought I'd do anything that crazy. I was terrified of the thought. I asked a lot of questions of the person running it. A lot of what if's. Most there didn't even want to think about them. Knowing what they would do "if" made me comfortable enough to enjoy the experience and experience a view inaccessible any other way.

We all worry about the reliability of our boats on an extended trip. To do so before the trip is preparation.

With a 1985 Krogen 42 and a Lehman 135 you are in good shape.

Preparation is the mother of victory.

One important key to success is confidence. The key to confidence is preparation.

Then this quote from Steve Nash:

You have to rely on your preparation. You got to really be passionate and try to prepare yourself more than anyone else, and put yourself in position to succeed, and when the moment comes you got to enjoy, relax, breathe and rely on your preparation so that you can perform and not be anxious or filled with doubt.

I'm a bit obsessive regarding covering all bases, developing knowledge. We've taken training in fire fighting, medical officer in charge, and rescue, all mainly for our comfort as we go out. We hope to avoid ever needing to use any of that, but when the question comes up "what would you do if", we at least have an answer. I figure if you're prepared for the worst case, it will help you handle everything short of that in stride and fully enjoy your boating.

I am probably a bit like the sailor you knew. It's a key to my enjoyment. I'm absolutely not a risk taker so I must manage the risks. I went on a zip line last year for the first time. Never thought I'd do anything that crazy. I was terrified of the thought. I asked a lot of questions of the person running it. A lot of what if's. Most there didn't even want to think about them. Knowing what they would do "if" made me comfortable enough to enjoy the experience and experience a view inaccessible any other way.

Mr. Murphy is watching everything you do and he is adamant that he fill find something you overlooked.

Mr. Murphy is watching everything you do and he is adamant that he fill find something you overlooked.

Wifey B: But that's what he has me for. I'll beat the s... out of that dude, Murphy. Separate hubby and I might not beat it all, but together we're freaking awesome....hehe :D

Now, like seriously. I think if you think through enough stuff then you can quickly figure out how to deal with that you didn't think of.

Then I'll :dance: on Mr. Murphy's grave.

My philosophy on cruising the loop, certainly much of the ACIW is...

If I break down, the chances of being near a decent boatyard, repair facility is about the same of breaking down at my home marina.

Have a reasonable emergency cash reserve and don't look back.

I am not saying start off in doubt...just stop worrying.

This is the philosophy of a liveaboard with no real schedule.

Factor in worries, and they will be there for sure...if you don't, they are just random things that might happen at a good or bad time....or might not...:D

Wifey B: But that's what he has me for. I'll beat the s... out of that dude, Murphy. Separate hubby and I might not beat it all, but together we're freaking awesome....hehe :D

Now, like seriously. I think if you think through enough stuff then you can quickly figure out how to deal with that you didn't think of.

Love it!

Awesome!

The usual "big horror show" would be a total engine failure.

Engines usually die slowly and give lots of warning of impending DOOM.

Crankshafts usually don't fail , bit an oil leak can be the start of a bummer.

To my mind the simplest solution is to be able to monitor the engine & tranny 100% of the time and observe a difference.

Easy on a $150,000,000 airplane with all the built in reporting toys , but for a boater there seems to be one answer.

Murphy Switchgauges are mechanical and have an owner adjustable alarm or shut down feature.

Install a complete set , adjust them while underway cruising and a very small pressure drop o temperature variation can be caught.

Pure overkill for ICW , but IF I were heading over big blue water , it would be my first item , after a repairable auto pilot.

Last edited:
Your boat is as reliable as you make it. Holidays are the busiest days for the towing companies as that is when the "slip-huggers" go out and break down from under-use.
"What you don't use you lose" goes twice for boats.

Luckily 3/4's of the boats in lauderdale have usually more then two engines.
?? Did you mean "have two engines"?
Could this invite a "single vs twins" discussion? Last time it went 1000 posts +...

Could this invite a "single vs twins" discussion? Last time it went 1000 posts +...

Not sure what he meant but there are a tremendous number of boats here with more than two engines. Buyers of center consoles today don't debate one vs. two, they debate two vs. three vs. four and 300 hp vs 350 hp vs 557 hp. There are center consoles around here with outboards totally up to 2248 hp.

Awwww Heck... Let's just get into a twin - vs - tri power discussion! Hell, some of the outboards could get into the 4 to 8 engine categories.... OMG please tell me which number is the correct number of engines to have! :lol: :dance: :facepalm: :speed boat:

Awwww Heck... Let's just get into a twin - vs - tri power discussion! Hell, some of the outboards could get into the 4 to 8 engine categories.... OMG please tell me which number is the correct number of engines to have! :lol: :dance: :facepalm: :speed boat:

Prudence dictates that you should have more engines than anchors.

Or was it the other way 'round? :confused:

I am afraid to respond... I will likely experience a break down immediately soon after I type "very reliable".

I only put less than 200 hours on Sherpa per year but I change the oil/filter every 100 hours and often sooner than that--sames goes for the gear oil. I also fresh water flush the engine after every use. Impeller is changed at least twice per year.

Despite the aforementioned, I know an engine failure could occur anytime, so I plan accordingly. Having a single screw, I maintain towing insurance and would eventually like to install provisions for a kicker/get home outboard; but this is a challenge with my double-ended hull. I also keep far more spare parts (hoses, water pump, belts, etc.) and tools than typical boats my size. I rarely go beyond 10 miles out, so most of my journeys are on the ICW.

For those who are marina based and cruise in heavily trafficked areas this is not a big issue. Tow insurance and a mechanic available during the work week take care of almost all problems.

For those who go off the beaten path it is different. Just last season I discovered a new and completely unexpected problem that shut down my main engine. The dual Racor filters supplying the main engine developed a blockage and fuel could not get through the Racor, thus we weren't going anywhere. Took 45 minutes to figure out what was happening.

This became complicated because both the supply and output of the Racors were in copper piping. Couldn't easily work around.

Never expected or even thought about something like this. My solution for the future (which I trust will never happen again) is to be able to supply the main engine with fuel from the Racor for the Genset. To enable this to be done quickly I have eliminated the copper piping and installed fuel hose.

Just last season I discovered a new and completely unexpected problem that shut down my main engine. The dual Racor filters supplying the main engine developed a blockage and fuel could not get through the Racor, thus we weren't going anywhere. Took 45 minutes to figure out what was happening.
My solution for the future (which I trust will never happen again) is to be able to supply the main engine with fuel from the Racor for the Genset. To enable this to be done quickly I have eliminated the copper piping and installed fuel hose.

You might also put a Murphy gauge on your filter to get advance warning of the need to change filters. Having twin Racors is really slick -- if one starts to clog (as indicated by increasing vacuum on the Murphy), simply flip a lever and you draw from a brand new filter. Change the old one at your (earliest) convenience, with no need to re-prime or even stop the engine.

You might also put a Murphy gauge on your filter to get advance warning of the need to change filters. Having twin Racors is really slick -- if one starts to clog (as indicated by increasing vacuum on the Murphy), simply flip a lever and you draw from a brand new filter. Change the old one at your (earliest) convenience, with no need to re-prime or even stop the engine.

Have a gauge, pressure was low. Filters were fine, although that was the first thing I changed. Problem was a blockage in the input into the Racors. No fuel could get to the Racor housing. The twin unit takes care of the clogged filters as one can switch on the run when the pressure rises and even change a filter without stopping the engine.

Mine is very reliable. I know I can count on mine to break down every summer.

My boat has a "Murphy" gauge but in the cooling system. It sounds a buzzer when the coolant level gets low. Lower than usual but not nearly low enough to cause an increase in engine temp. Saved us once.

And of course Willy would be safer if she were a twin. Just $.

MYTraveler, Because you are the worrying type, your boat is very well maintained and equipped. That attitude probably also contributed greatly to your business success (can't have your boat if you were an underachiever). So I think what you got, is a good thing.

But it must be a drag to have the kind of concern you have when boating, so I offer an advice that is different from the rest. Seek guidance from a psychiatrist/ psychologist about shedding or minimizing your worries. BTW, I also think that DeAndre Jordan should see a mental health professional about his free throw shooting since his stroke looks good and shooting coaches have failed to help him. Your highly active mind is playing games with you.

Greetings,
There is a Quote in the movie "7 Years in Tibet" spoken by the "Dalai Lama"...
"We have a saying in Tibet: If a problem can be solved there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be solved, worrying will do no good."

Well, if i haven't participated lately...I was dealing with our reliability. First the alternator stopped charging the batteries. No problem, we ran the genset to top them off. Then the Genset wouldn't stay running. Finally the engine started spraying oil all over the engine room. That happening right past sunset signaled it was time for the get home engine to get us to the nearest dock and regroup.

Oh, very reliable.

So now our genest has a new high temp sensor which works correctly. The regulator has been reprogrammed to play nice with our new alternator. And the bolt that backed out and perforated our oil filter has met Mr. Loctite. Oh, and while we were at it we installed a new turbo on the main to deal with a developing exhaust smoke symptom.

In all fairness, we knew getting a boat that had barely been used in a number of years was going to be work at first and here we are. We've worked all thru winter on various projects and some things just needed to get "fixed" twice. Time will tell where we are on our goal to get rid of all the cobwebs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom