New Guy W/Dorsett Farallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timgoodwin

Vessel Make
Dorsett Farallon
Just saying hello and have begun a new project. Refurbishing a 1960 Dorsett Farallon from scratch. She's 22' with all the whistles and bells. Gonna make for a nice retirement. Well, thanks for having me and I look forward to getting to know lots of folks.

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like a fun project.

Ted

timgoodwin,
I think I know what a Farallon is w all it's flare but I'm curious why you call it a "Dorsett" Farallon. I've always admired the Dorestt boats. Is/was there a connection between Farallon and Dorsett? The boats don't look similar to me.

Farallon is the style of Dorsett. It was the Dorsett flag ship back in the day. Mine is a 22 foot molded fiberglass cabin cruiser with complete galley (stove and oven converted to propane from electric), enclosed head, fresh water pumps for bath and galley and sewage tanks, onboard 30 gallon fuel tanks, bilge pumps, sleeps two very comfortably with forward stowage, dual Mercury 1000s with a total horse power of 200 to 210. I'm going to install the helm to starboard as it is now on port. Later and thank you for your very friendly replied.
Tim

Last edited:
Tim,
OK good. The Farallon that I know is about 33 - 35' long and I think they have Volvo power. Not an IO. I saw one in Canada that had been extended to 40'. Lots of flare in the bow. Pics of your boat would be appreciated.

Man you bring back memories

That was one of the first fiberglass boat manufacturers in the early fifties. If I remember right they were fairly well built, with a almost flat bottom at the transom. They were meant to be powered by a pair of 40 or 50 hp outboards with cable steering. No where the kind of power your talking about.

Man you bring back memories

I remember them too. A neighbor had one and it seemed so much bigger when I was a kid.

I found this ad on the Internet. I'm sure it will make a great little classic for cruising about, and it will certainly create interest wherever you take it. :thumb:

1960_dorsett_farallon_express_cruiser_1_lgw.jpg

Great pic Larry.
Even like the color. I see this one's got a pair of Scott OB's. Scott made an OB that had a bilge pump in it. Hook a hose to the right place, attach a metal sump w a hose to the bilge and the OB would extract the bilge water as you went along.

I remember those Dorsett's w their fat cheeks and tumblehome. Yes I heard many times they were quality boats ... but that was quality of the day. May have been before the chopper gun days. I have a 70s "Winner" about this size .. a little smaller at 19'. Haha that boat has twice as many berths as my Willard. With "Ease-O-Matic" steering. Some of the marketing terminology seems really silly now. And in time all the buzz words and expressions of today will seem stupid before long. Far Out .......

Pictures of before the work begins and I...

...will be posting more as the job progresses. Your thoughts and suggestions are very welcome at all times.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 77.jpg
    77.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 137
  • 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 99.jpg
    99.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 1010.jpg
    1010.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 124
Greetings,
Mr. tim. Wow. You've got your work cut out for you BUT I can see the reasoning behind your undertaking. MY main concern would be the integrity of any structural wood (stringers, transom, coring etc.) . IF she's OK in that respect you'll definitely have a head turner when done. With the amount of power you'll be using, I would expect the strength of the transom would be the primary focus.
A mini-Hendo project. Have at it my man.

Clean Up Is Under Way

Greetings,
Mr. tim. Wow. You've got your work cut out for you BUT I can see the reasoning behind your undertaking. MY main concern would be the integrity of any structural wood (stringers, transom, coring etc.) . IF she's OK in that respect you'll definitely have a head turner when done. With the amount of power you'll be using, I would expect the strength of the transom would be the primary focus.
A mini-Hendo project. Have at it my man.

Have begun clean up and all of the wood has to be gutted. I will be starting with nothing more than the hull. I will post my progress. Got a look at a Saratogan the other day. WOW! Love that boat.

Attachments

• Saratogan.jpg
    Saratogan.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 638
I love the classic lines of the old boats, even the pastel colors of the day! Looking forward to posts/pics of your progress!

Haha RT you crack me up. Am I an official term now am I ?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Yes..!

And what an honor. A title acquired from your brothers, not self declared or sought. A genuine achievement through sweat, tears and tenacity of character.

Sort of like being "Dauntless"

Frank

Yes..!

And what an honor. A title acquired from your brothers, not self declared or sought. A genuine achievement through sweat, tears and tenacity of character.

Sort of like being "Dauntless"

Frank

Awww very nice of you to say! Ok back to the poster. Sorry for the hijack.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

timgoodwin'
Here's another picture of the express cruiser posted earlier. This one is a Skagit boat .. not a Dorsett. Very similar. I see it in the SanJuan's at times.
RT that Merc is probably about 70hp. It just looks big because it's an in-line six cylinder. My 60hp four stroke is probably 100lbs heavier. I'd say power for timgoodwin's Dorsett is about right.

But the boat in the upper left in my pic #2 is a Dorsett. Sorry the pic isn't better.

Attachments

• DSCF1573 copy.jpg
    DSCF1573 copy.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 1,243
  • DSCF1575 copy.jpg
    DSCF1575 copy.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
I just ran across this restored Dorsett Catalina on Ebay. Be sure to look at the pics in the listing. I'm sure it would be a fun little boat to own. The word "Cute" comes to mind. :D

$_57.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom