Great Harbour N37 Young America at our dock yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of your information is correct Richard. Congratulations. I used to get a LOT of questions about numbers of boats built.

To add just a little: Not only were the early GH37s and N37s built in the same hull mold - but all of the GH47s and N47s were built in this same mold! There was a pair of ten-foot inserts that were bolted into the mold to make it 47' long. This mold was eventually made into a permanent 47' mold and a new 37' mold was made off of the 12th N37 hull (#44), "Meermin".

By way of the only correction I could come up with, the extra ten feet in the N47 is typically used for a huge dinette across from the galley that makes it a wide open entertainment area. To date, the only N47 built with the extra, third stateroom is Spoonbill. And, for the record, my favorite Great Harbour model is the N47!

"By way of the only correction I could come up with, the extra ten feet in the N47 is typically used for a huge dinette across from the galley that makes it a wide open entertainment area."

Thanks Eric ,

I forgot about the dinette option, Spoonbill (now Almost Heaven) is the only N47 I have actually had the pleasure of seeing up close. My wife and I lived on Spoonbill for a couple of months before she was sold last spring while we were waiting for Semper Fi to be re-launched. In early May we had a great time helping deliver her to the Bahamas for her new owner. For us, one of the best features was the extra two feet of room in the forward stateroom. The stacked washer/dryer was very accessible and easy to use and it was the one place on the boat were it was easy to move around without bumping into anything. We joked that the perfect Great Harbour Trawler for us would have been an N39.

Thanks for adding that detail, Rich. Now I really know what chances I have to obtain a GH. I'll take your suggestion to heart, however, and if I decide to go for a new build, I'll insist on an N-39.

The N47 may be a fine vessel but I prefer the GH47 with the watch cabin and pilothouse.

Cheers, Henry

The N47 may be a fine vessel but I prefer the GH47 with the watch cabin and pilothouse.

One of the really cool things I found about Great Harbour owners is that whatever model they owned, they were convinced that it was the absolute BEST boat for their needs. With other make boats, owners of 29s dream of upgrading to a 35 - and owners of 35s really want a 47, and so on.

But you couldn't convince a GH37 owner to take a GH47 on an even trade! And a GH47 owner finds it hard to believe that anyone can live aboard one of those "little" GH37s! Same with the N models. And don't even ask a GH owner if he/she would rather have an N! By the same token N owners wouldn't want one of those giant GH models!

In other words, everyone always seemed pretty damned happy with the boat they were living on! Strange, huh?

I was recently told that Yanmar was phasing out the 54hp engine and going to a 57hp that burns cleaner and is a little more fuel efficient. Does anyone know if the new 57hp will be used in the N37 going forward?

I can't answer for what Ken is spec'ing for his newest build, but it seems to me that either the Yanmar 4JH5E (53hp) or the 4JH57 (57hp) common rail diesel would be suitable for the N37.

Hi Richard,

Yes, that is a great summing up of the Great Harbour lineage. I have been intrigued with them since the PMM article that covered an N37 cruise to Cuba and back. On one of the Semper Fi's you mentioned I think.

I am a bit confused about the N47 Spoonbill. You mention that it was built in 2009 and assigned a HIN, but 5 years later it was reassigned a new HIN and a March 2014 certification or completion date? Sounds odd to me, but as a Canadian maybe we do things differently here. Normally once a HIN is set, it is set.

There certainly seems to be a very strong endorsement of Great Harbours from those who either own them or have seen them in person. Alas none have made it up our way that I'm aware of.

One of the really cool things I found about Great Harbour owners is that whatever model they owned, they were convinced that it was the absolute BEST boat for their needs. With other make boats, owners of 29s dream of upgrading to a 35 - and owners of 35s really want a 47, and so on.

But you couldn't convince a GH37 owner to take a GH47 on an even trade! And a GH47 owner finds it hard to believe that anyone can live aboard one of those "little" GH37s! Same with the N models. And don't even ask a GH owner if he/she would rather have an N! By the same token N owners wouldn't want one of those giant GH models!

In other words, everyone always seemed pretty darn happy with the boat they were living on! Strange, huh?

Eric,
I know I have not yet purchased our Great Harbour (Mirage) Boat and may not be seen by most as a GH owner.....but that's just a matter of time......I quoted the things you said because it hit home for me.

When I began this search for a true live a board I began all "gungho" and truly thought I knew what I wanted and what would work best......Then it happened.........too many choices and too many different views on what makes a best live a board boat by not just people but manufactures as well. Seemed every one had the best idea but to be truthful, it always ended up with too many deal breakers then deal makers. There was always too many things that you did not either like or would have to simply forget about and "SETTLE" FOR and this can turn a beautiful experience into a big pain in the butt !!**

The Great Harbours got my attention several times but dismissed them as a not so worthy candidate and kept looking and looking and looking all the while the Great Harbour was gnawing inside of me and NOTHING would make it go away. I tried to keep looking at others and swore the the Nordic 49 was the one and only and a very smart person told me too "Keep Looking At Boats" over and over and over !! So I did!

Then It happened...........I got smarter.... (hey it happens) any way I began to talk to as many Great Harbour owners as I could and Not one was unhappy with the choice of boat they had made. I also apologise for bugging you as much as I did but in my heart I knew any one who was a head salesman and also was the captain of the main charter boat, well like I said I got smarter and knew that I knew you would be the one in the know as they say and you were !!

I said all that to say this.............as I was told once before....there is no one perfect boat for every one..........BUT there is for most a perfect boat and once you find this boat....NOTHING is going to get in your way or keep you from it or change your mind towards something else.

For us there is but one choice...........N47.....Nothing compares to this boat "for our needs and desires" not even all that wonderful space and third stateroom in the helm of the GH47 !!

Look at most of the GH Owners...........they are not kids or even in their twenties......and have that got to have it fast mentality. See most GH owners that I have had the pleasure and honor of meeting are older and have done this fast pace life style for far too long. This Rat Race most call the good life
has taken it's toll and "NOW it's our turn", is the mentality of most GH owners IMHO.

The Great Harbour Trawler is a laid back liven and enjoying life kind of Trawler. Easy to maintain and operate and the living quarters that come with both the GH and the N models are simply Just What YOU DESIRE and NOT simply, "just what you get."

I know this is long but I truly can say I held back on all that I can say about this topic...The Great Harbour Trawler....
One last thing.............
You ever have a pair of shoes even though they looked ruff just felt so good on your feet so you chose to wear them all the time or a special T shirt that looked like it was almost as old as you were BUT was your first choice to put on and NO one was going to take them away from you ??!! Yea its like that with a Great Harbour Trawler.............ONCE this boat has captured your heart there is no turning back.......It's simply HOME sweet Home and it fits better then any other thing could !!

However......these boats are not for everyone..........simply for those of us who have had our share of this rat race society and have truly DECIDED to slow down and enjoy life and have wised up to know that this happens at 7 to 8 knots at a time IN A GREAT HARBOUR TRAWLER !!!

Have a blessed and wonderful week
Jim

I have always enjoyed the GH series especially the GH47. Can any of the GH owners speak on the windage issue with them. My Californian now has the aft deck enclosed and even in a slight wind I have a huge amount of windage despite weighing in at 48K lbs. I definently could see myself doing the loop on a GH47 one day, unless I hit the lottery and then I am buying a Dashew FPB. I guess I'm a sucker for odd looking boats.

Conrad wrote:

"I am a bit confused about the N47 Spoonbill. You mention that it was built in 2009 and assigned a HIN, but 5 years later it was reassigned a new HIN and a March 2014 certification or completion date? Sounds odd to me, but as a Canadian maybe we do things differently here. Normally once a HIN is set, it is set."

Hi Conrad,

My first look at Great Harbor trawlers was the same PMM article you mentioned. The magazine did a huge spread on the original Semper Fi’s trip to Cuba and it was love at first sight for me. When I traveled to Gainesville from Hawaii in May of 2013 to meet with Ken to see an N37 for the first time, I brought that issue in my carry-on and had Ken sign it for me. I think that is the only time I have ever done anything like that. The addition of a flybridge option on the fourth N37 built only strengthened my resolve to own my own N37 someday. That day is not quite here for us yet as my wife and I are still waiting for Mirage to finalize the closing on our purchase of Semper Fi II.

I was surprised by Spoonbill’s HIN change as well. Coast Guard documented vessels require authorization from the USCG Commandant to change a HIN and permission to do that is rarely granted. One possible exception would be to correct an obvious error. For example, the last two digits might be changed from 60 to 06, to make the HIN reflect the actual model year (2006) of the vessel.

Spoonbill is still documented (#1218535) with the original HIN showing her as a 2009 model. Almost Heaven’s documentation (#1253389) has recorded the new HIN showing her as a 2014 model. In other words, the same boat is concurrently documented with the Coast Guard, under two different HINs.

Last edited:
I have always enjoyed the GH series especially the GH47. Can any of the GH owners speak on the windage issue with them. My Californian now has the aft deck enclosed and even in a slight wind I have a huge amount of windage despite weighing in at 48K lbs. I definently could see myself doing the loop on a GH47 one day, unless I hit the lottery and then I am buying a Dashew FPB. I guess I'm a sucker for odd looking boats.

Hello Knot head charters,
You might find some peace of mind on this here......
jim
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/great-harbour-n37-young-america-our-dock-yesterday-15917.html

One of the really cool things I found about Great Harbour owners is that whatever model they owned, they were convinced that it was the absolute BEST boat for their needs.

In other words, everyone always seemed pretty damned happy with the boat they were living on! Strange, huh?

Eric,
Very true but we totally thought we would be buying a GH37 until we found Seven Tenths. I think a GH37 is a great boat and would not mind it if the GH47 was not available. The N - I just can't get my head around but have not spent much time on them. I know Joe love's his.
Yes - everyone does seem very happy with their Great Harbour boats. I am hoping the market has Ken building more soon.
Henry

Knothead Charters,
As an owner of a GH47 for the past 7 years, I can speak to the windage issue and concern. One of my first installs was a PB200 wind sensor. The hard chines seem to help some but when in narrow passages or marinas, you do have to plan for the wind effect. My most recent docking had me spin a 180 turn in a fairway of the marina and back down the opposite direct so the wind helped move the bow vs slide the boat sideways. The twin engines and bow thruster can be used as needed.
Most of our time has been spent on the Chesapeake Bay with a group of boaters that were mainly express cruisers. We still laugh about a planned weekend at St. Michaels. The weather forcast on Friday morning was gale force winds declining to small craft warnings for the rest of the day. As soon as the gale warning was dropped, we looked at each other and said "Let's go".

The windage also seem to cause our boat to "sail" when on the anchor.

Our cockpit has a screen/isinglass enclosure installed.

Not sure what else to add.
Safe travels and calm seas,
Henry

Last edited:
Thanks Richard, but I'm still confused!

Me too. This is from the FAQs tab of the USCG National Vessel Documentation Center:

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SELL MY DOCUMENTED VESSEL?

When the sale is finalized you may complete a U.S. Coast Guard Bill of Sale (CG-1340) or complete the “Sale or Transfer of Vessel” section on the reverse of the Certificate of Documentation (CG-1270). Documentation forms, fee schedules, and instructions are available for downloading on this web site. If there is an outstanding mortgage, the mortgagee (lender) should complete a Satisfaction of Mortgage. The vessel cannot be removed from documentation with an outstanding mortgage.

Does anyone know of a Great Harbour in the Pacific Northwest? I live in the Seattle area and would love to look at one in person. I just sold my 30' Tollycraft Sedan and Admiral and I are looking for something a little larger and the N37 looks to really fit the bill on everything we are looking for.

A month or so ago we were down on Lake Union and a dealer downt here had a GH 37 for sale. Don't remember his name but he was just north of the China Harbor Restaurant building. He had mostly sailboats.

Ah-I just checked yachtworld and the boat is listed with Waterline Boats LLC. It is a 2001 and listed at $259,000.

Great I'll have to make a trip over to try and see it!
Thanks

Hi there,

In your first post (welcome aboard by the way :) ) you mentioned you were looking for an N37. The one in Seattle is a GH37...be sure to brace yourself...it's a very different beast!

Hi MurryM,
I did see that the boat was a GH-37 and as much as I have been on their website looking I am well aware the differences between the N and the GH lol. It would be hard to confuse those two, but reading these and other posts I can see that it happens all the time. I am really interested in the N but at least I can see attention to detail and build quality by looking at the GH if I can get over there.
Thanks again!

Hi MurryM,
I am really interested in the N but at least I can see attention to detail and build quality by looking at the GH if I can get over there.
Thanks again!

That's true. I was lucky enough to see the entire GH and N series line in one day. The impression was pretty much the same. Huge space, brute build.

Does anyone know of a Great Harbour in the Pacific Northwest? I live in the Seattle area and would love to look at one in person. I just sold my 30' Tollycraft Sedan and Admiral and I are looking for something a little larger and the N37 looks to really fit the bill on everything we are looking for.

Contact Ken Fickett at Great Harbour Trawlers. If anyone knows, Ken will.

There is a N37 in San Francisco and a GH37 in Seattle.
As far as the original thread...I am docked with Young America tonight - it is looking good.

I think our Forum Member "Cardude" took a look at Vicksburg. Might want to check with him.

Meanwhile, this N-37 showed up at our local marina recently with this odd, but practical bow canvas. The owner noted that it kept the stateroom below 15 degrees cooler in the FL sun. He and his wife invited us aboard for a review of the vessel's amenities. A quick glance at the engine room and bosons locker reminded me of why i like the N-37 so much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
CyberTiVo. Yes, I am familiar with Vicksburg - ex Ti-De's Dream. What would you like to know about her?

And Larry, yes, Esmeralda (N37 Hull #5) is, indeed a lovely vessel. The first N37 built with a crow's nest, she was our Miami Boat Show feature in '04.

Attachments

• GroeneinNest.jpg
    GroeneinNest.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 431
Looking back thru old posts, it is noted that in November 2013, cardude had a contract on Vicksburg subject to survey and sea trials and then the deal broke down. I would like to hear what happened on it with the survey and sea trial. That boat has been on the market a long time.

Back
Top Bottom