Lehman 120 priming issue - need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apologies but could you be a little more explicit? Should I push the start button? If that's the case, should I screw back the nuts while I do this? Thanks.

Just bump the engine over a bit and that should push the pump out. Leave the nuts off. Don't let the engine start. :)

I would either roll it over manually or put the nuts back on if you are going to bump the starter.
I would not bump the starter with the pump hanging loosely on the studs. If it kicks the lever the wrong way it may bend the studs.

How could it "kick" the lever the wrong way? its either pushing on it or it's not.

Ok, I will try that. I had the feeling that it wouldn't be a good idea to crank the engine with the pump being loose. That confirms my suspicion! I'd rather be extra safe than risk creating some internal dammges that would be hard to fix.

I've done this a few times with no ill effects. And you don't crank the engine over, you bump it over just a bit.

But do it however makes you feel comfortable.

I've done this a few times with no ill effects. And you don't crank the engine over, you bump it over just a bit.

But do it however makes you feel comfortable.

listen to bill he has got it right,i have done it many times

How could it "kick" the lever the wrong way? its either pushing on it or it's not.

I can't see in there so I don't know if it's possible for the lever to get in the wrong place somehow. After all it was jiggled and moved around a lot in an attempt to remove it. Murphy may have visited.

Success! I was able to get it out and install the new one in 15 minutes. Turns out the small lever was indeed stuck inside and all that was needed was to turn the engine a bit like some of you mentionned. I simply hooked a pipe wrench on the flywheel nut and slowly turned the engine until the pump was free (about half a rotation). As simple as that. Thanks a lot for the all the advice. Now I know how to change a fuel pump!

Back
Top Bottom