Is this a quality swivel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ran out of JD, huh?

Yup. Was hoping Moonstruck would bring a replacement keg of it up on his invasion of the North this week, but our nasty Yankee weather forced him into a premature retreat. :cry:

rode does not mean rope...

rode is the flexible part between the anchor and the boat.

and if you have an all chain rode, you should also be using a bridle.

Was in a Kong swivel?

I kept the swivel around for awhile for show and tell and eventually threw it away. It is my understanding that it is important to install a shackle between the anchor and the swivel in order to reduce the risk of the swivel separating. Yes, I believe it was a Kong.

rode does not mean rope...

rode is the flexible part between the anchor and the boat.

and if you have an all chain rode, you should also be using a bridle.

Not necessarily a bridle...some of us use single snubbers sometines....especially if you don't have much chain out or are expecting conditions that might lift all the chain off the botton.

Probably as much to take the stress off the windlass than any reason most of the time.

Thanks. I can't seem to find one here locally. Will have to order one.

View attachment 40868

Timely thread for me. I'm getting ready to install a new Rocna from HopCar, and the current setup has a Kong swivel with this shackle holding it.

Do I need the swivel? It feels pretty gritty when turning it. And would you trust your anchored boat to this shackle?

The chain is HT4 3/8.

No you don't always need a swivel.

I might not trust that shackle if it's just a generic Chinese one.

I'd be much more inclined to trust one from these folks: Shackles - The Crosby Group

View attachment 40868

Timely thread for me. I'm getting ready to install a new Rocna from HopCar, and the current setup has a Kong swivel with this shackle holding it.

Do I need the swivel? It feels pretty gritty when turning it. And would you trust your anchored boat to this shackle?

The chain is HT4 3/8.

No…and no…!

Chain is 5/16 not 3/8. I got rid of the swivel. Had to use the cheap shackle for now to hang the anchor but looking for a good one again locally.

My brother in law has this swivel as an extra and what's to donate it to my anchor. Should I take it?
I should add its for the Viking loa 48' and 44K#

The potential problem with this type of swivel is that it will only pivot in one direction on the anchor shank. Which means that if the boat gets off to the side of the anchor the swivel cannot pivot to line up with the rode and thus the direction of pull. So a side (shearing) load is put on the swivel pin itself, which is intended for a load straight through it, not a load trying to bend it off to the side.

The proper way to attach any swivel to an anchor shank is with a shacke with the closed end of the shackle through the shank and the pin through an end of the swivel. This allows the swivel to pivot in any direction and line up with the load.

Unless one has an alignment problem with their anchor to their pulpit when the anchor is retrieved I believe a swivel adds one more potential failure mode to something you don't want to have fail. Ever. After reading Earl Hinz's book about mooring and anchoring in which he graphically describes the difference between attaching a swivel correctly and incorrectly and the potential consequences of the latter we removed our swivel from our all-chain rode and threw it away. It had served no real purpose when it was there and we never missed it when it was gone.

Back
Top Bottom