What's in a name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple that I know have an Albin 28....their last name is Shoemaker.* They called their boat 'Two Shoes', and their tender is called 'Flip Flop'.** Very kewl!

Killick wrote:

A couple that I know have an Albin 28....their last name is Shoemaker.* They called their boat 'Two Shoes', and their tender is called 'Flip Flop'.** Very kewl!
*How about Margarita ville with that dingy name.

AAH Yes.

skipperdude wrote:

*Don't Panic. *I like that one.
I think it was Hollywood who said panic early and avoid the rush.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 02:49:08 PM
Our previous Prime Minister, twice removed now, John Howard, (you know - Dubbya's right hand man, or so he said), put out a statement not long after 9/11, suggesting the general public need not*panic...but to be "alert, but not alarmed".....
I use the saying often to my patient's now to reassure them when we do screening tests etc, but on reflection it would also be quite a cool boat name....?

********************************* Alert But Not Alarmed
....could work....?

RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
Not to hijack the thread or anything but "Don't Panic" brings back memories of a british comedy called Dad's Army.* Don't Panic was the first thing yelled out by one of the characters played by Clive Dunn.* Used to watch it on PBS.*
Such a very amazing link! Thanks you for the reply.

Layla

"you got me on my knees* -* I'm beggin' you darlin' please"

Derek and the Dominoes

"Sally Lynn"********************* Wives come and go but mothers are forever........

JMYSS wrote:* Wives come and go but mothers are forever........
Thanks Tim,
Now I have a lump in my throat.

sd

JMYSS wrote:

"Sally Lynn"********************* Wives come and go but mothers are forever........
Maybe that's why.
smile.gif

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 9th of December 2010 08:46:25 PM

JMYSS wrote:

I agree:* the next boat we inhabit will be "Barbara D."

Not sure I'd ever do this, but speaking of mothers, my grandmother's name was Alpha Omega Quisenberry....wouldn't want to use the whole thing, but Alpha Omega might be a cool name on a boat.

You could put Alpha. The begining, on the front and Omega the end, on the stern.

SD

JMYSS wrote:

I am going to get a trademark for that quote, sell it to Hallmark for mothers day cards, and retire......

Luckily my first and only wife does not read these boards....

You sly devil.
*What was your wifes email address again.

SD

We bought our Krogen already named Fluke. We think of a whales tail, but buying her was a fluke like a lucky shot in billiards.

Being in the Seattle area , we are sometimes asked if this has anything to do with John Fluke (multi-meter maker). My response is "No, I think he has a mush bigger boat".

xfedex wrote:

We bought our Krogen already named Fluke. We think of a whales tail, but buying her was a fluke like a lucky shot in billiards.

Being in the Seattle area , we are sometimes asked if this has anything to do with John Fluke (multi-meter maker). My response is "No, I think he has a mush bigger boat".
The Fluke family has maintained a private island in NW Washington (Vendovi Island) for many years, including about an 80 to 100 foot dock with 50 amp shorepower for a couple fifty foot boats. It's very possible that John Sr or Jr could have owned your boat at one time. Senior died in 1984, so if it were his boat, it would be pre '84. I believe the family still owns the island, but the company was sold several years ago to a much larger corporation.

Our boat was named "Happy Destiny" when we bought it in 1995. We were determined not to keep that name, but... we never found a name we liked better, and eventually decided it made too much sense to change it. Thought about Wet Dream, but it seemed so cliche.*
clap.gif

xfedex wrote:

Our boat was almost new when we bought her. No Fluke Mfg connection. Interesting that Vendovi Is. is or was recently for sale. Auction actually.

See:

http://blog.luxuryrealestate.com/ar...ld-at-auction-in-seattle-wa-on-september-30th

I think John Srs. boys did have boats up to about seventy feet, as my memory serves. John Senior is buried in a private family cemetary on the island. Based on your information, I think I will opt for the whale fluke connection.

Thanks for the link. I knew there was talk of selling the island. i wonder if they got a buyer?

Rocky wrote:On a side note, I've always thought a good name would be "Don't Panic", would be perfect for me as I'm the queen of panic.

Some commercial lobsterboats we saw on Prince Edward Island last year....

Attachments

• don't panic.jpg
    don't panic.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 77
  • don't panic yet.jpg
    don't panic yet.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 86
  • lobster12.jpg
    lobster12.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 81
  • name1.jpg
    name1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 81
"Floatsome and Jetsome". One of my clients with a 72' Hatteras and private jet......

JMYSS wrote:

"Floatsome and Jetsome". One of my clients with a 72' Hatteras and private jet......
Man I love that.

One of our original boats was a Cougar 35 Predator - a 35' narrow streak of low in the water race bred hull. We called her L'eau Profile making a play on the French word for water 'eau'.

When we upgraded to the Fleming (complete opposite type pf boat, I know! But I'd had my fun with speed, now I wanted family time) we were thinking hard for a new name. We wanted to keep the idea of using the word 'eau'. Ideas started with 'Eau No!', progressed to 'Uh Eau!', and ended when our youngest son said, 'It's Dad's new toy - it must be Play d'eau.'

In case you don't get the twist in this, in the UK, Play Dough is a well know kid's toy....

I think the whole world must be familiar with playdough.....we thought it was a NZ invention till we found it in Oz as well.

I always wanted to use "Sin'r Swim" , maybe "Sin or Swim" something along those lines if I ever had a big sexy sportfish or go-fast boat. Somehow it does not fit a trawler though.......

I held off posting this as I wasn't sure anybody would be interested in a "family" story.*When we made the jump from outboards to inboards, we started in an Albin 28, great hull just a little tight for cruising. My wife and I covered a lot of the Chesapeake in that boat; 18+ kts will let you do that. Well our oldest daughter delivered our 1st grandchild 5 years ago and while I was holding Grace Virginia in the hospital at 2 days old, she "whispered" that I now needed a bigger boat. She was born at Thanksgiving and when she was 6 months old, she was cruising with us on "Amazing Grace". The Admiral was in no position to object.
Grace now has a 2 year old brother, Alex.....I've always admired a Defever or a Flemming...
yeah, that's it...........but what to name it?

Over *the last 50 *years we have had lots of boats , they all had names which for us had to have a special relation ship and it is for that *reason that i think that some may call their boat " Molly B29" *or *IOU. or Out a Debt.

We here also name our homes to give them a more personal touch, could it be that an *ill chosen name would devalue a *boat.

It is often said that changing the name of a boat invites bad luck, that is Rubbish.

You just bought a boat that has a name that relates to a previous owners world *that is *just wonderful *for him, that boat is now yours so give your boat a new life and with it a new name.

What is in a name well it is " the sweetest sound in any language"

How important is a name well if you are calling for assistance on harbor radio then the name* most likely should be able to be clearly understood, our latest boat was called Synopsis that is a lot of SSS. We changed the name to Andromeda, we hope that tells a story that goes back in history, we are not Greek but the Greeks are a great sea fairing nation i respect them *for that.

So if you are not happy with the name your boat came with or you are having second thoughts on your first choice. *By all means Change the Name. Do it now.
There is a web page with 10,000 boat names A *to Z

Mr Father told me you are what you want to be and what you are is what you are going to be.

We were going to use "Last Boat III"* or "Last Boat* 1* 2* 3"* and have a slash through the 1* and the 2.* But Last Boat is real common in the USCG registry.

So we went with "Stella di Mare"*for which the literal*translation is "Star of the Sea" but in*Italian it is also the*name*for the fish known as the*Star of the Sea or*a Starfish.

There is a bit more to the story.* We had a list that had maybe ten names on it of which this was not one of them.* We pasted the list by email to several friends and family members to get some help.* One friend Chuck*and his wife Betsy*suggested that we might like "Stella di Mare" as that was the name of her sailboat, that she had for twenty plus years*before they had gotten married five years ago.* We liked the name and it stuck.* The sad part of the story is that Betsy died of a*rapid moving*cancer*less than three months after we named the boat.* We are glad we used the name.* It has some meaning to us now.

"Here Fishey Fishey" is cute to be sure but how can anyone not be serious about their boat's name. I would think twice about going to sea on a boat whose name was a joke. Surly there is enough time in this world to make jokes without making the name of your boat a joke as well. Call me a grumpy old man if you will (nobody else has) Ha Ha but I think a boat name is serious business. I designed a boat (very unusual boat) to be soft riding and efficient as well. In that it was both of those things I named her "Easy Rider".
It was just before the movie and that of course ruined my boat name but I felt she was properly named. The name told much to everything about the nature of the boat and was respectful as well***** ...until the silly movie came out. But to me that's what's in a name
....respect and attention givin to some fine stand-out quality of your boat. And it's amazing how self centered boat owners can be as they frequently put the name of the town/city where THEY live rather than the boats home port.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 6th of February 2011 11:13:42 AM

nomadwilly wrote:And it's amazing how self centered boat owners can be as they frequently put the name of the town/city where THEY live rather than the boats home port.

Boy you can say that again.* We had a boat in our marina in NC that "Aurora CO" as the hailing port.*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom