A perfect day / First world problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayfarer

Guru
Vessel Name
Sylphide
Vessel Make
Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Ever have one of those really perfect days? A day where you have something really exciting to look forward to the next day. A day where you get loads of stuff done in anticipation, and everything works out better than you would have expected. A day that despite being full, still allows time to take the boat out for a few hours. A day that's so beautiful, that it's just a joy to be alive and outside. A day where you look around and think, I really am one lucky SOB

Well that's what yesterday was for me. Until about 5:30. I had just snapped some nice pictures of a beautiful Nordhavn 62, one of my favorite boats. It was the first time I'd seen one in the wild before, and there it was, right in my back yard. It was all very exciting.

It was getting late, and I still had to do some provisioning for the big trip tomorrow, so I decided to high tail it back to the marina. I brought her around, started heading back east. What a beautiful day! Up go the revs, 1500, 2500, 3500, starting to plane out, adjust the tabs, pull the revs back a bit. Good.

That's when the coupler between my port engine and outdrive decided it had finished with being a coupler, and stripped itself to death. Abrupt stop. Pulls to the left. No forward. No reverse. No impeller. No cooling water. Temperatiure increasing. New whining sound. Good.

So instead of a week of great cruising, it's a week on the hard, waiting for parts, and trying not to be a nuisance while the mechanic works his magic. A real bummer. I suppose It's good that it broke close to home, before we left. And at least it'll be expensive!

Last edited:
Do both sides and replace the bellows both the big ones and the small shifter ones (if of that type. The real money is in the labor and they already will be in there.

Ain't boating grand, yep it is grand and some times several grand at a time.

Sorry for your setback.

Wow, that sucks. It especially sucks when it ruins a perfect day.

Good luck with a speedy repair.

Ain't boating grand, yep it is grand and some times several grand at a time.

Well said! I am gonna have him do both sides. Bellows and gimbal bearings were last year's problem, so they're still new.

Into every life some rain will fall

Into every life some rain will fall

We've decided to turn our lemons into Shandys. Since we already had the vacation time, we're going to take a road trip to cape cod instead. None of us have ever been there either, so It'll be a good trip.

I'm still a lucky SOB :)

We've decided to turn our lemons into Shandys. Since we already had the vacation time, we're going to take a road trip to cape cod instead. None of us have ever been there either, so It'll be a good trip.

Summer Shandy - best use of lemons I've seen, the Grapefruit Shandy is my new favorite, if you haven't yet tried it you should. Have a great trip.

Yes, we all are. Even when things are in turmoil I remind myself that I've got quite a life afloat. So many dream of, wish for and don't achieve this. We truly are so blessed...

Sorry re the coupler, and who knows? The Cape is a nice adventure too. Our boat launched in Swansea at family property... You probably heard of Aunt Lizzie and that poem about the axe.

Yes, we all are. Even when things are in turmoil I remind myself that I've got quite a life afloat. So many dream of, wish for and don't achieve this. We truly are so blessed...

I so agree. Nothing in a day changes the basics of how lucky we are. Every day since October 13, 2000 has been a perfect day for me. Only thing that could mess that up would be health problems for either of us or our family/friends.

Hope you enjoy the Cape. It's still a bit chilly here. Let me know if you need any ideas and I'll put on my Chamber of Commerce hat.

Wayfarer,

Thanks for this post. We have all been there (or soon will be if we just bought a cruising boat)!

I love the way you are turning the situation around into a boat that will be better mechanically--and you will have a great vacation to boot!

Back
Top Bottom