Boat Maneuvering with Separate throttle and Shift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Believe it or not, the Yanmar 2QM20 actually featured a "Stop" position on the throttle quadrant. It required pulling the throttle lever back beyond the "Idle" detent position into the "Stop" position to stop the engine.
Well, my day is complete, even as it is just getting started.. I learned something new! Thanks, Larry!

Well, my day is complete, even as it is just getting started.. I learned something new! Thanks, Larry!

Walt,

It gets even funnier. First day out on a new-to-me Morgan 32 sailboat with wife and four 'racer' friends. Beautiful day with lots of wind. Powered into the bay and raised the sails. Wife was at the helm. With the boat now sailing, I asked her to kill the engine to which she replied there was no stop button or cable. I muttered something and returned to the cockpit and discovered she was right. After about 15 minutes of head scratching by a cockpit full of 'very experienced sailors' I found a fuel tank shut-off valve and finally stopped the engine.

A while later, she found the owner's manual in the chart table and showed me that page . . . . . RTFM :facepalm:

Come to think of it, my old sailboat's Yanmar may have had one too.

The difference with the OP was...... I believe there was an interlock

Without an interlock...like most say is nuts.

Last edited:
Without an interlock...like most say is nuts.

+1 :thumb: Like my Dad advised me long ago "Try not to approach the dock any faster than you would care to hit it. . . . " He must have had something like this in mind.

Unfortunately only a quaint saying for many...

Ultimately it is as some have said "no more.... but no less power than you need to git'er done".

That only comes with experience, practice and an undying faith in your equipment.

Usually that is why it's best to go someplace where anything above low power to moor is best or wait till conditions are better.

Not always an option....but the safest if possible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom