Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice. Looks like she draws a lot of water.

your eyes must be better than mine. That's the best example of a Ferro-Cement boat I've seen in 20 years. How would you gauge the draft?

That's a beautiful boat! And I like your nomenclature "pocket yacht". I know ferro cement is a tried and true method, but, would still make me nervous. No real reason I guess, just does, lol.

Stubones99 wrote;
"How would you gauge the draft? "
The hull above the WL tells volumes about the hull below.
I'd guess this boat draws about 6 feet.

Not always the case though as some trawlers look like trawlers until you see them hauled out. Their true colors are then bared for all to see.

Stubones where is "Merritt Island"? I'm guessing it's not a state or country. I wish the powers that be would ask for a state or country. I have no idea where lots of TF members live .. not even what ocean they are near.

Last edited:
From the Bruce Roberts Trawlers I have been researching, they can swing from 4' to 6.5' draft on the same superstructure.

To me, it all depends on the keel, and whether it has a protected prop / rudder.

Without protection it can draft less but cost more in props, rudders and shafts if you run aground.

Like you said, hauling would show the truth...

Stubones where is "Merritt Island"? I'm guessing it's not a state or country. I wish the powers that be would ask for a state or country. I have no idea where lots of TF members live .. not even what ocean they are near.

Merritt Island is in FL between Cocoa and Cocoa Beach and is well known for the Merritt Island Launch Area (MILA) and the Space Meusem. Think NASA.

Yes, like Donsan said, on the FL East Coast (Atlantic) just south of NASA where we used to have a space program.

I have corrected my profile to more accurately reflect my current location.

For years I've held trade-secret plans to produce strong, long-lasting 8 foot to 45 foot lightweight boat hulls. I affixed to this technique my trademark "EZ Build-Cement” My automated technique could cut hull manufacturing time in half with considerable reduction in material and labor costs. Mechanical apparatus for turning out hulls is like nothing before (that I know of) used in the boat building industry. With the continuous advents of products to enable stronger and stronger “cement-mix” designs… there may be a great new opportunity now available for producing affordable, long-lasting pleasure (as well as work) boats. :thumb:

Feel free to PM me if confidential chat is desired.

Happy Boat-Building Daze! - Art :D

can"t enter that site without annoying sign_up bull

Yes Brian, Pinterest requires you to sign up and it's probably a Very bad idea to do so. It's got tons of categories (search "camping" or "prepper") and could take up oodles of time. I love it myself. And animal's board is filled with beauties.

Animal's Pinterest boat board: http://pinterest.com/builta76/trawlers-motorsailers/

Pinterest is in essence a bulletin board like you'd find at work. It's got pictures with links to the information. I use mine for ideas of future projects and amusements. Perhaps I do have a warped sense of humor -- you'd have to be the judge of that, if you sign up that is.

For me, it's worth the time. I like it here better, however Pinterest is my guilty not-so-secret spot to visit. Along with Drew Curtis' FARK.com and http://BuzzFeed.com but TrawlerForum is best. :socool:

Well stubones I didn't expect such a prompt response but if you're like me you'd forget it if not done right away. So often geography or nationality has a lot to do w what we talk about it's a real benifit to know approximately in the world the poster is coming from re what he's saying. Thanks.
Donsan the NASA THING nailed it.

Re the concrete or cement (which is more appropriate) structure is a composit like FG reinforced plastic. Couldn't build it w/o the glass or steel giving it strength. But steel rusts and wood rots. No wonder aluminum is so popular. Very few Alaskans will buy a boat made of anything else. But they are SOOOO expensive. Perhaps we should think more of plywood, epoxy and SS screws. That's all expensive too. But one could get the cheapest ply that is solid, use galvanized screws and boat "ring" nails and old weldwood glue or perhaps resorcinol. Nix on the FG added .. it's expensive and heavy.

What reinforcement agent are you using Art?

Last edited:
Well stubones I didn't expect such a prompt response but if you're like me you'd forget it if not done right away. So often geography or nationality has a lot to do w what we talk about it's a real benifit to know approximately in the world the poster is coming from re what he's saying. Thanks.
Donsan the NASA THING nailed it.

Re the concrete or cement (which is more appropriate) structure is a composit like FG reinforced plastic. Couldn't build it w/o the glass or steel giving it strength. But steel rusts and wood rots. No wonder aluminum is so popular. Very few Alaskans will buy a boat made of anything else. But they are SOOOO expensive. Perhaps we should think more of plywood, epoxy and SS screws. That's all expensive too. But one could get the cheapest ply that is solid, use galvanized screws and boat "ring" nails and old weldwood glue or perhaps resorcinol. Nix on the FG added .. it's expensive and heavy.

What reinforcement agent are you using Art?

Sorry Eric - My manufacturing system-products engineering and material-component designs are confidential. - Best, Art

ND/NC Agreement forms required.

Didn't mean to pry Art.

I wanted to buy this ferro-cement boat. Being an ex-sailboat she probably draws too much water and had I known how much she drew the lusting would probably have been over. I've never seen a ferro-cement boat that was fair and this one was no exception. I think a fair lined hull is important but I'm sure it got the job done fair or no.
The owner decided to keep her himself. He installed a new JD like Marks. His intention was to fish her 20 miles off-shore.

Attachments

• DSCF0207 copy.jpg
    DSCF0207 copy.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 87
I looked into ferro-cement construction a long time ago, and even visited a number of vessels that were being constructed in that manner. Generally it was more time consuming than most people understand to form all the reinforcement steel into place, then get a really good 'void-free' pour of the cement. Once the hull was finished you then needed extra care to trim the 'edges', and some special efforts to attach everything to the interior surfaces of that cement hull.

Bottom line it didn't make that much sense in the scheme of things when the cost of the hull on most boats only represents perhaps 15-20 percent of the finished vessel. And you have to expend that much more effort to try and sell the potential client on that 'unusual' construction.

Personally I think good old steel construction, possible with this frameless metal hull construction method would be my choice:
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...0-trawler-canal-boat-11212-15.html#post253614

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...0-trawler-canal-boat-11212-15.html#post230808

The Kiwi's are the kings of ferro construction, when we lived down there in the 90's I saw first hand a number of well constructed,totally fair, rust free examples of good ferro boats. There were a couple here in Port Townsend that also fell into that category.. no one could tell they were ferro. I think the majority of ferro boats didn't fit in that category any were amateurish at best.

really it is a misnomer to call them "cement" boats as they are actually more of a plaster.

HOLLYWOOD

Just looks to me that port hole under the deck level scupper just above the waterline probably represents at least the ceiling level of a ? full stand ER with plenty of keel under that. Only reason I say that.

Glen

More on the 65' FC motoryacht. Pretty sure she was built in the UK, I think Brian's photo shows a red duster. She was listed (below) by John Alden of Florida in the summer of 1978.....

FC65northsea.jpg

The Kiwi's are the kings of ferro construction, when we lived down there in the 90's I saw first hand a number of well constructed,totally fair, rust free examples of good ferro boats. There were a couple here in Port Townsend that also fell into that category.. no one could tell they were ferro. I think the majority of ferro boats didn't fit in that category any were amateurish at best.

really it is a misnomer to call them "cement" boats as they are actually more of a plaster.

HOLLYWOOD

Please understand : "Portland Cement" is primary hardening agent/ingredient used inside material mixes for most installations of concrete, mortar, thin-set, grouts, stucco and plaster. Nomenclature such as concrete or plaster or mortar represent the cement's and other ingredients' useful mix-design nature for specific purposes.

Technology prompted new material additives have substantively improved many types of mix-designs' capability for less weight, greater strength and quicker application techniques.

More on the 65' FC motoryacht. Pretty sure she was built in the UK, I think Brian's photo shows a red duster. She was listed (below) by John Alden of Florida in the summer of 1978.....

View attachment 40494

That's her. I always thought she had a beautiful sheer line, super structure, and stern. She was docked on the South River in Edgewater MD at the time, and we first viewed her from water level in a Zodiac. And yes she was built in the UK. At one time I had a short message from the builder's son, along with that photo of her with the yellow hull. She was not yellow when I saw her.

I think i had asked for a layout plan and any other info he had on her, but that one photo is all I got.

There is a famous series of ferro cement sailboats here raced by Syd Fischer, called "Ragamuffin", aka, "The Flying Footpath"(translation "sidewalk)"

I have to admit that I cheated a little here. I was at Mystic Seaport Museum a couple of days ago.

Traditional boats----yeah, that's the ticket.

img_338252_0_bae0ec5e4312985dfd97fe8e82385a79.jpg

img_338252_1_765dc1f578c570a9dbd2b072fbf843ce.jpg

img_338252_2_2e8a6c9bbf8ad7eb41f6374b731c9b0c.jpg

img_338252_3_fe927314a021ba47f5574d8d06692a49.jpg

img_338252_4_df24a99a6ce9d89e55f2800cc7f2ac17.jpg

Don, did you have your passport stamped to go north of the Mason Dixon line?

Mystic seaport is a great day for anyone boat obsessed.

Roans' restoration was a story in itself.

Capt. Jack, Shhhhh. This is a stealth trip. I'm still trying the silence those banjos that dwhatty is hearing. They follow me everywhere. We are in Maine now, so there're plenty of Yankee rednecks here. I'm starting to feel right at home.

In 1972 my sons at ages 8 and 10 had a picture made at the wheel of the Charles W. Morgan.

Roann is a fine looking boat but I'm smitten with the Florence in the third photo. Wowzers what a sheer.

Make sure you stop in Gloucester (Ma) , Don! I'll get you a 2 day pass.

Already passed it up. We're headed to Nova Scotia to hide out with the loyalists. There should still be some at Fort Louisburg. That was one of our great pre-revolution victories, but it somehow got lost in history.

Already passed it up. We're headed to Nova Scotia to hide out with the loyalists. There should still be some at Fort Louisburg. That was one of our great pre-revolution victories, but it somehow got lost in history.
If you visit Lunenburg, NS (and you should), you might want to visit the fisheries museum there. It is quite a nice museum.

Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic
https://fisheriesmuseum.novascotia.ca/

And take a look at some of the photos that document what a GREAT fishing ground that USED to be.
(we are destroying our oceans)

I would say while in NS that you should stop off and see AF Theriault & Sons are building...

Don, if you're interested in Loyalist history let me know... My mother has transcribed and published most of the records between the colonial governors (and their assistants) and British royal crown. The interesting thing is the vast number of people who believed the British would come back and protect their honor. Most of the loyalist were never repaid for their loyalty and losses. Kind of like now, when the government protects it's own...

I saw once where the cost to pay for transport from England to Georgia (with food) was 6 pounds sterling.

If interested in Loyalists, a visit to the "Loyalist City" Saint John, NB would be in order. This would also give you a chance to try the Reversing Falls... a spectacular entrance to the Saint John River. Make sure you read up on how to traverse the Falls first!

Just pulled in to the marina this evening. I know nothing about it, but it looks gorgeous.

Attachments

• DSC_7015.jpg
    DSC_7015.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 147

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom