Macerator Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I have an electric toilet that one day quit working.
*I thought for sure the motor was burned out. Checked the fuses, all the connections.
I got to fooling around with the removal and noticed a small screw at the back of the macerator.*
Stuck as screwdriver in gave it a turn*and walla the pump works fine. I guess it was just jammed with what ever.* Ahem ahem. I had had guests on board.

Another reason to give bathroom instructions to your land side guests

I had never heard of this and felt quit proud of myself for discovering it.

*Bottom line If your macerator quits working try this.

SD

RE: Macerator pump

That has also happened to me once,*fortunately *I had known about the screw and that was the first thing I did.

Next time I hear somebody say "just screw it!"* I will take them seriously.

I had the same experience, that screw is actually a slot in the end of the shaft that the mascerator blade is mounted on so you can sometimes loosen up a jam by wiggling it back and forth till it clears up or gets loose enough for the toilet run.
Steve W

Macerator pump

skipperdude wrote:I have an electric toilet that one day quit working.

Stuck as screwdriver in gave it a turn*and walla the pump works fine.
I had never heard of this and felt quit proud of myself for discovering it.
<sigh>.... What is it with men?* Not only would you rather drive off a cliff than ask for directions, you take pride in reinventing the wheel a dozen times a day* instead of reading directions when you have 'em!*
confuse.gif

Page 4 of the Jabsco macerator pump instructions at http://www.ittflowcontrol.com//files/18590_series_sealed_macerator.pdf

Page 2 of the Jabsco 370xx series electric toilets at http://www.ittflowcontrol.com/files/itemdoc1431.pdf

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Thursday 16th of December 2010 04:23:33 PM

HeadMistress wrote:

<sigh>.... What is it with men?* Not only would you rather drive off a cliff than ask for directions, you take pride in reinventing the wheel a dozen times a day* instead of reading directions when you have 'em!*
confuse.gif

Page 4 of the Jabsco macerator pump instructions at http://www.ittflowcontrol.com//files/18590_series_sealed_macerator.pdf

Page 2 of the Jabsco 370xx series electric toilets at http://www.ittflowcontrol.com/files/itemdoc1431.pdf

What was that word?* I N S T R U C T I O N S.
*I had to google it. I wasn't sure of the meaning

SD

Hiya,
** Well, if men weren't like we are, women wouldn't have anything to do.*
** MR. SD....Instructions=put in a safe place never to be found again (NOT thrown out mind you).

Ain't that the truth I have a series of binders that one day I will go thru and organize. If money is spent on the boat. All paperwork pertaining to that purchase goes into the binder. Problem is.

It has become a monster it's to big. Like you said never to be thrown away. But safe Lost *but safe.

Every time I start to organize I get lost reading about something I was looking for last year, month, week.* I usually forget what I was looking for in the first place.

O.K. I will read the directions they are around here some place.

Safe secure,

What were we talking about?

SD

HeadMistress wrote:

skipperdude wrote:II had never heard of this and felt quit proud of myself for discovering it.
confuse.gif

Awe come on, Headmistress.* Let us guys have a little pride.* Even if it is false.

Moonstruck wrote:

HeadMistress wrote:

skipperdude wrote:II had never heard of this and felt quit proud of myself for discovering it.
confuse.gif

Awe come on, Headmistress.* Let us guys have a little pride.* Even if it is false.Could someone please give me directions to that cliff??? Oh, never mind, I guess I didn't get the point.*
no.gif

Actually, sorry headmistress, but to introduce an element of reality here, in my experience, backed up by much anecdotal evidence, it is the women who seldom read the instruction manual on anything, and the men who do - in the main. Obviously there are some exceptions....you may be one of them. Just ask the kids in any family who knows how to set up the video or DVD player/recorder, or program the Foxtel, drive the video camera, burn CDs, or top up the various fluids in the car - I could go on.....but I won't...instead I'm outa here....this headmistress might be vindictive......

Peter B wrote:Just ask the kids in any family who knows how to set up the video or DVD player/recorder, or program the Foxtel, drive the video camera, burn CDs......
And the kids will tell you it's their MOTHER who sorts it all out after Dad has given up!

I don't know where you got the idea that women don't read directions...you'd starve if we didn't...for what else is a recipe?*

However, I'll grant you the auto maintenance...but we do have to let our men feel that we need you for something!
biggrin.gif

The first (or second) thing I do when I have a problem with a piece of equipment is to find the documentation and read it. This proceedure served me well for the many years I earned a living installing and repairing things. I often amazed my co-workers by repairing something in a few minutes that they had been trying to repair for hours or even days.

Female - "the toilet won't flush".

Male - OK, I'll fix it".

Yes, I know there are some exceptions.

And YOU are the exception!

More typical:

Female: Honey, the toilet won't flush

Male: Ok m'dear, , I'll fix it,

Female: I emailed Peggie Hall..she told me to (do this)...I did, and it works ok again.

Seriously...At least 65% of the calls for help I get aren't from Captains Courageous, but are from the Admiralty. I can't vouch for who actually does the work, though....only for who finds out what work is needed.

This happened to me, and I did turn the shaft with a screwdriver to free it up. this only lasted for a few days and it locked up again. I wound up taking the pump apart and found a lot of hair wrapped around the shaft pushing the wear plate into the impeller and removing all running clearance for the pump. removed the hair, changed the seal and the pump works great.
John

HeadMistress wrote:

And YOU are the exception!

More typical:

Female: Honey, the toilet won't flush

Male: Ok m'dear, , I'll fix it,

Female: I emailed Peggie Hall..she told me to (do this)...I did, and it works ok again.

Seriously...At least 65% of the calls for help I get aren't from Captains Courageous, but are from the Admiralty. I can't vouch for who actually does the work, though....only for who finds out what work is needed.
It's a shame, but society has assigned jobs by gender.* A male is embarassed to ask a female how to fix an engine or a pump, while a female would be embarassed to ask a male how to cook or sew.

Your generation gap is showing, Ron. That was true of my dad's generation (he was 95 when he passed away in January of this year), and in my own early years. But the days when Ozzie and Harriet were a typical couple ended a LONG time ago! Today many men are better cooks than their wives and while there aren't many women who work on engines, there isn't much else women won't tackle, and most do a very good job of it too!

Macerator pump

HeadMistress wrote:
confuse.gif
Just a moment. *My Admiral says she knows the answer to this one, but I'm awaiting further instructions.

-- Edited by healhustler on Saturday 18th of December 2010 03:50:19 PM

HeadMistress wrote:<sigh>.... What is it with men?* Not only would you rather drive off a cliff than ask for directions, you take pride in reinventing the wheel a dozen times a day* instead of reading directions when you have 'em!*
confuse.gif
Well, OK, I haven't read the Instructions yet, but I did read the part that said "READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE INSTALLATION", *and shortly thereafter, I was distracted by a beer.

charles wrote:

BINDERS

On CCRIDER I had 13 yes 13 looseleaf binders. .....................

I have managed to make do with three plus the owner's manual which in my case is far better than the average boat owner's manual.* A couple are getting a little thick so I might have to go with four.

Macerator pump

When you replace equipment, do you also replace all the material in the binder(s) that's specific only to that piece of equipment? Or do you just keep adding on, leaving the next owner of the boat with a collection of literature that's akin to the entire history of western civilization?

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Sunday 19th of December 2010 10:48:25 AM

CC:
I know a few guys who have many binders of material, and find them very useful. Your 13 seems a bit OCD (not that there is anything wrong with that). I find the time taken to find the instructions may double the repair time, so I confess, I only do so when all else has failed. My drawers under the settee have been taken over by instructions, and each time I go into them, I think its time to cull out all the ones that are for equipment that I no longer have aboard, but I don't, as there may be a gem of information there that is of general relevance to other equipment.
Having a 30 yr old boat (was only 14 when I got it) I get to fix things that are anywhere from brand new to the full 30. The PO only kept manuals for electronics, and I have replaced all of that (some more than once) so I have only the manuals for equipment that I have installed. That installation process provides enough familiarity that the manual is just backup.
Peggy:
Sounds like we are from the same generation, as my dad is 89. In all the friends and aquaintances I boat with, I know one couple where the Admiral is more mechanically savvy than the Captain, several where they are rough equals, but the great majority are the old school where the guy does the mechanical stuff and drives the boat, and the gal is in charge of the galley, the decor, and the social calendar.

"I cull equipt. material that is no longer on brd when I replace it or take it off the boat."

We collect what we can weather it is on the boat or not for our library.

As an SSCA cruising spot I hate to think how many times , I have had to copy dozens of pages for unprepaired "cruisers".

HeadMistress wrote:<sigh>.... What is it with men?* Not only would you rather drive off a cliff than ask for directions, you take pride in reinventing the wheel a dozen times a day* instead of reading directions when you have 'em!*
confuse.gif
(sarcasm on)

<sigh>... What is it with women? They would rather get a man to fix all the things they break from misuse because of not reading the directions ANY more often that males do, than pickup a screwdriver and actually learn how to fix even simple things themselves.

Wife: "Hunee, the head stopped working."

Husband: "Ok... I'll fix it as soon as I finish cooking diner on the grill. It might be something simple. Just grab the manual out of the binder and take a look."

Wife: "No thanks. It may require me to touch something gross or use a tool."

Sorry Peggy... Now YOUR generation gap is showing.
biggrin.gif

(sarcasm off)

(I must be the exception because I enjoy reading the manuals. It often uncovers hidden features that you may not have known about when you bought it. I always grab the manual first.)

Wiki;
Obsessivecompulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions). Symptoms may include.....; extensive hoarding..........

GonzoF1 wrote:(sarcasm on)

<sigh>... What is it with women? They would rather get a man to fix all the things they break from misuse because of not reading the directions ANY more often that males do, than pickup a screwdriver and actually learn how to fix even simple things themselves.

Wife: "Hunee, the head stopped working."

Husband: "Ok... I'll fix it as soon as I finish cooking diner on the grill. It might be something simple. Just grab the manual out of the binder and take a look."

Wife: "No thanks. It may require me to touch something gross or use a tool."

Sorry Peggy... Now YOUR generation gap is showing.

(sarcasm off)

(I must be the exception because I enjoy reading the manuals. It often uncovers hidden features that you may not have known about when you bought it. I always grab the manual first.)
(Returning sarcastic serve)

They're known as 'cabin babes' and every generation has 'em. They're not crew...won't even handle docklines 'cuz they might break a nail.* But they look great in a bikini and throw great dinner parties which is all that matters...
biggrin.gif

(Your ball)

...and yes, you ARE the exception!

Guess I'm still old style , there is Pink work and Blue work, and its simply more efficient that way.

Sure I can read and could probably bake a fair apple pie , but the bride has been at it for 40 years , so the results ARE better.

The bride can read , and our WWII military Detroit book was written for folks that don't know a hammer from a box wrench, but I would rather install the new injectors and run the rack , tho its all in Da Book.

90% of most repairs is Knowing what to repair , with 55 years of practice at trouble shooting, the Blue/ Pink divide is rational.

"Hon I'll stir the soup, you clear the waste pump", would not be conducive to a long boating experience.

FF wrote:

Guess I'm still old style , there is Pink work and Blue work, and its simply more efficient that way.

Sure I can read and could probably bake a fair apple pie , but the bride has been at it for 40 years , so the results ARE better.

The bride can read , and our WWII military Detroit book was written for folks that don't know a hammer from a box wrench, but I would rather install the new injectors and run the rack , tho its all in Da Book.

90% of most repairs is Knowing what to repair , with 55 years of practice at trouble shooting, the Blue/ Pink divide is rational.

"Hon I'll stir the soup, you clear the waste pump", would not be conducive to a long boating experience.
I once worked with a guy who was so helpless around the house that when his wife went to the hospital for surgery, she had to cook his meals in advance for him.* She stayed longer than expected and I had to take him to the grocery store and help him pick out prepared dinners.

As a practical matter on the boat, what if something happens to you away from the dock?* Can she start the boat, raise the anchor, and find*her way to a dock?* Use the VHF to call for help and*tell someone*where the boat is?

Back
Top Bottom