Gone fishin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
On our annual halibut/salmon trip up the north end of Vancouver Island. First shots on the BC ferry Coastal Renaissance on the way to Nanaimo. Last shots are the results of our first couple days fishing. We have a self-imposed limit of one keeper per day. Halibut limit is one per day anyway. Two weeks left to go
. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433091336.441048.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433091362.233685.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433091381.958217.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433091406.356303.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433091432.583888.jpg

One of the ugliest fish on the planet, the ling cod is considered by many to be better eating than halibut. Their huge mouths are ringed with teeth and they eat pretty much anything that comes their way.

This is a fairly average size ling cod for this area at about 15 pounds. A 30-pounder was caught here yesterday and they can get twice that size.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433131612.469660.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433131654.807241.jpg

Maybe the limit should be one a week! How many personal-serving fillets will one of those fish produce, for goodness sake!

Maybe the limit should be one a week! How many personal-serving fillets will one of those fish produce, for goodness sake!

The Halibut t'was but an itty-bitty wee baby :cry:

If people think anchors are a big deal...get into a discussion of recreational fishing limits and some of their views of commercial fishing. :eek: :D

How does that outboard/trolling motor stay cool mounted that high?

How about letting the Wildlife and Fisheries determine the limit. They seem to be pretty good at it :)

The maximum length of a halibut keeper is 135 cm in BC.

Just weird they have a maximum (so the larger adults which produce the most eggs can go on producing) but there's no minimum.

The Halibut t'was but an itty-bitty wee baby :cry:

That's true. A few years ago we caught a 100-pounder (photo). The largest halibut we've seen caught here was 242 pounds. It was caught by two guys in a 16' open skiff who then towed it 16 miles back to this harbor.

The halibut up in Alaska get much larger than the ones in this area.

To answer the "how many fillets" question, we freeze our fish here after cutting them up and the eat them throughout the year. The daily limit of halibut here is one and the possession limit is two. Possession means having anywhere other than in your permanent residence. So we can retain one more on this trip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 131
Some random shots I took over the last couple of days.....

The black bear, which was here in the harbor yesterday, is the largest one we've ever seen. The eagles were fishing a "herring ball" that was on the surface. There were at least three times the number of eagles in the circuit as are in the photo along with a lot of seagulls. Very noisy what with the sound of the water in the rip.the chirping of the eagles and the crying of the gulls.

The rest of the shots are self-explanatory.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433273375.967496.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433272817.658305.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433272849.557619.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433272883.116895.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433272904.067851.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433272924.484700.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433272944.441095.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433272981.917995.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433273005.610764.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433273070.605304.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433273184.534842.jpg

Last edited:
Well, a very rainy day so we decided to give the fish a break. We'll fish in the rain but not if we don't have to.��. For the person asking about trolling motor position, if you really haven't seen one of these mounts before here's ours along with a shot of our fishing boat.

Those of us in the PNW are always whining about debris in the water, right? Well, here's what we're whining about. This stuff came in on the tide last night from Weynton Passage outside the cove. These will go back out tonight and we'll have a new collection tomorrow.

Took some random shots on the boardwalk this morning. The buildings date from the early 1900s when they were built to support the Japanese salmon saltery here and then the sawmill that occupied a good portion of the cove. The house we use is the oldest one here, the Okura House. It's the gray one overlooking the cove above the yellow house.

I did not take the eagle shot. It's by the raptor photographer Rob Palmer. But it's about the coolest photo of anything I've ever seen. It's an eagle catching a fish and after our encounter with the fishing eagles the other day I thought it would be appropriate to show here as it does a far better job of capturing this activity than my shots did.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280101.282683.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280197.938092.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280230.414314.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280286.967232.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280302.329837.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280345.948739.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280375.059716.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280395.757511.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280414.319351.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280432.746710.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280248.094946.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433280248.094946.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Lets like a great time

Marin, I see your at Telegraph Cove. Nice place. I have been there many years but only in July and August. Whats your thoughts on going in May? Hows the fishing then?

Thank you for the post and great pictures.

Gary

Depends on what you want out of the trip. We want fewer people so earlier is better for us. The halibut fishing is pretty good and with such low limits it's easy enough to catch what we need. We like to range far afield in our fishing and will run 12 to 20 miles to check out a potential spots. Springs are starting to come in with some pretty decent sized fish among them.

However there is no question the salmon fishing gets better as the summer progresses. The orcas are not here yet-- they tend to show up in early July. There are humpbacks, Pacific Whitesides and Harbor porpoises here now.

The latest we have stayed here is July 5 and even that was getting a bit too crowded for our taste.

This time of year the place is just getting underway. The store is open but with shorter hours. Gordy and his guys are completing a lot of maintenance and renovation projects to be ready for the main season. Tourists from Europe are starting to show up (TC advertises heavily in Europe and Scandanavia) but the big waves of groups are still some weeks away. The whale watch and grizzlie tour boats have just started operating.

So I would say if what you want is the best fishing and a lively experience, come in later July or August. May is pretty laid back and quiet.

Marin,
As usual a great report.
like the Halibut fishing. Are they just slabs or do they put up a good fight.
What depth of water do you catch them in.
Cheers
Benn

Just a note on fishing techniques and laws. I heard that a few homeowner in Texas were sited for using gill nets recently. They were actually fences in their yards and caught tons of fish as the flood waters receded.

Marin,
As usual a great report.
like the Halibut fishing. Are they just slabs or do they put up a good fight.
What depth of water do you catch them in.
Cheers
Benn

Depends on your definition of "fight." They are very strong and a large one can take line out like you wouldn't believe. But they aren't dramatic fighters like salmon, trout, steelhead, marlin, etc.

We hooked one today that was the strongest halibut I've ever encountered. I could stop her between runs (the big ones are all females) but I couldn't get any line back in to speak of. Then she would take off again. I could feel her shaking her head from time to time to try to get rid of the hook, a typical halibut behavior.

When I started worrying about her taking off all the line from the reel (Penn Senator 4/0) I had my wife start the boat and we tried following her as I reeled in. This worked for a bit but I suspect that between our and the fish's maneuvering we got the steel leader around a rock or something on the bottom. I feelt a couple of scraping jerks and the fish was gone. When I reeled in the steel leader had broken about halfway along its length.

We have no idea how large she was. She most certainly would have been too large to legally keep. But it would have been nice to get her to the boat for a photo.

In terms of depth halibut can be found from ten feet down to 300, 400 or even more in this area. The big one we hooked today was in abut 180 feet and then ran for deeper water. The maximum depth in the channel here is a bit over 1,000 feet. I don't know if halibut go that deep or not.

I use 80# braided Dacron line because the Penn Senator series of reels are not level-wind reels--- you do the level winding by moving your thumb back and forth as the line comes in. Our other halibut reel is also a big Penn but it has a level wind so it's loaded with a new-technology carbon fiber line. It's very thin and would probably cut my thumb up if I had to level wind it manually. I prefer the Senator because it has a faster retrieve and big handle so I continue to use "old technology" Dacron.

Regardless of the kind of line you use, it needs to have as little stretch in it as possible, preferably none. This is because it's the only way you can feel the weight hitting the bottom. Even in 300-400 feet of water, I can tell if I'm fishing over a softer bottom (mud or sand) or rock by the nature of the "shock" transmitted back up the line. That's why the Dacron or carbon fiber line. Monofilement fishing line has so much stretch to it there is no way you would ever know if the weight was tapping the bottom. (I know this because this is what I started out using for halibut many years ago. I very quickly learned better).

In this area people fish for halibut with jigs or bait. I used to use jigs because you don't catch any or many unwanted fish with them like rockfish or cod. However, after observing the kind of results people get with bait we switched over despite the fact it's harder work. In this area, bait outfishes jigs by a considerable margin.

So, exciting to catch? Not particularly other than the anticipation of seeing how big it is. A fair size to big one can be a lot of work to pump up to the surface, however. They remind me a bit of the aku (yellowfin tuna) we'd catch in Hawaii when I lived there. You catch them on the surface but they immediately sound and take half a reel's worth of line out with them. Then you pump them up to the top at which point they generally do it again and take most of the line you just worked so hard to get in back out again.

And then, of course, you have to get a halibut into the boat. In Alaska they shoot the big ones first before hauling them on board. They don't warrant that here, but we use a gaff designed for halibut and then you have to be very quick about stunning them right away or they can break stuff in your boat including you as they thrash around.

The fishing itself is a lot of work. You bounce a pound to a pound and a half jig or spreader bar weight off the bottom for up to several hours at a time. You can lose a lot of gear this way so besides the bouncing there is a fair amount of hauling your gear up to re-bait it or replace a jig that snagged on a rock that you had to break off, and so forth. I would not describe halibut fishing as any sort of relaxing.

The photo is the view from the driver's seat while halibut fishing. Unlike the photo, the rod is constantly in motion, moving the jig or bait up and down and tapping he weight against the bottom every few seconds to make sure the rig is working within a foot or two of it. The bend in the rod is from the weight at the other end of the line.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433373342.431181.jpg

Last edited:
The point of Dacron is so you don't cut your finger off right? Because I know some people that had chunks out of they're finger tips from standard braid. Slack in the spool and loop forms your finger gets in it and the rest is history.

Braid will cut your finger faster than a guitar G string. Gotta be very careful with it.

The point of Dacron is so you don't cut your finger off right? Because I know some people that had chunks out of they're finger tips from standard braid. Slack in the spool and loop forms your finger gets in it and the rest is history.

The Dacron is braided line, too, but compared to the carbon fiber line it's a lot thicker and softer. Sort of like string. I suppose if you got a finger caught in it with a lot of pressure on the line it could do some damage.

The carbon fiber line we have on the other reel is not only very thin it's square in cross-section. So it has sharp edges. I used the reel with the carbon fiber line for the first time on this trip. We have it for friends who sometimes fish with us as they don't have to manually level wind the line, something that takes a bit of practice to do without thinking about it or looking at the reel.

I had never used it myself in all these years and I found it has even less stretch than the braided Dacron. Even in 300' of water it feels like you're in only 10' as far as the bottom taps are concerned. So I really like the line but I much prefer the Senator reel so I went back to it and its Dacron line.

Last edited:
Some photos from today. The little troller spent last night here. The fishing fleets are on their way north right now and there has been a steady parade of trollers and net boats coming past up Johnstone Strait and Weynton Passage.

One of the local tugs hauling a barge out to a logging camp or some such place.

The remains of somebody's homestead.

One of if not THE last logging railroad in North America. This operation has been going strong since we first started coming up here in the late 1980s. The two locomotives were converted for this use from a pair of old switch engines and sport dynamic brakes and other modifications needed to handle heavy trains on steep grades. We were told this week that logging is doing very well on Vancouver Island this year. The big sort yard in the next bay over that is fed by the railroad is running day and night and logs are dispatched every few days in half-mile long rafts for mills farther south.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433470504.835118.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433470541.446351.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433470567.937803.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433470603.966298.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433470877.996732.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433470935.159157.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433470977.058218.jpg

The Malcolm Island area is one off my favorite places to fish and watch wildlife. We usually stay at Telegraph Cove but this year we are taking our GB up there and towing our fishing boat. Telegraph is a bit small for the GB so we were thinking about anchoring in Mitchell Bay. Have you ever been to Mitchell Bay while you were up there? Wondering if that is really an option.

Don't know anything about Mitchell Bay. Given the kind of winds one can get here from both the northwest and southeast I'd want something very protected.

PS-- While Telegraph Cove Resort can't really accomodate a GB36, the new marina on the other side of the cove can on their long dock in front of the condos (Dockside 29). I have no clue what the cost would be but you could contact them to find out. The name of the marina is Telegraph Cove Marina.

Marin, thanks for the new marina name. It was not finished the last time I was there.

A good day for the Beaumont boys!

Attachments

• 20150607_100308.jpg
    20150607_100308.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 205
Back
Top Bottom