cetol over varnish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cetol is softer

I've not had any problem applying Cetol over oil based varnish. If the varnish is failing you will have to sand the edges off the failed varnish. The Cetol remains soft compared to varnish so it gives with expansion and contraction of the wood better. The pigment will subdue the grain of the wood , the more applications of Cetol light the more it looks like paint and the more it masks imperfections. If you use enough it turns into tan paint. So it's a balancing act, the gloss acts pretty much like varnish but is softer to the feel and thumbnail.

How about another variation - polyurethane exterior gloss over Cetol? The purpose would be to have a harder, more abrasion resistant finish.

Real Polyurethane

Two part poly Like Interlux Perfection PLus, Bristal two part poly, clear AwlGrip and Sterling will not stick to oil based anything, not even over oil based stain and oily finger prints. You will get the worst case of cat eyes , blisters and dry glossless areas. At least that has been my experience. Finishes like oil based Varathane do not hold up in a marine environment.
I am experimenting with 10 coats of Interlux Perfection Plus on some teak doors on my flying bridge. Protected by canvas they still look good after 6 months. I was building a Mahogany drop leaf table and sprayed the doors at the same time as the table. The doors are never in the direct sun.

Two part poly Like Interlux Perfection PLus, Bristal two part poly, clear AwlGrip and Sterling will not stick to oil based anything, not even over oil based stain and oily finger prints. You will get the worst case of cat eyes , blisters and dry glossless areas. At least that has been my experience. Finishes like oil based Varathane do not hold up in a marine environment.
I am experimenting with 10 coats of Interlux Perfection Plus on some teak doors on my flying bridge. Protected by canvas they still look good after 6 months. I was building a Mahogany drop leaf table and sprayed the doors at the same time as the table. The doors are never in the direct sun.

Ah yes, I ought to have remembered the cats-eye non-stick problem. Thanks.

I used 4 coats of clear gloss Cetol over 4 coats of dried Watco teak oil.

Gave me a nice dark hard gloss finish that lasts a year then light sanding and two new coats for another year. Stored outside in Fl. sun

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom