Fresh water flush - separate tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's what or raritan marine elegance (?) uses. Might be an Atlantes freedom though, not quite sure.
Solenoid
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433196827.552256.jpg
Siphon break? Whatever it is, it's above the bowl.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433196866.224554.jpg

100% agree, all the way back to post #2 and still do.

So, Scott: We've both made that suggestion in posts 2, 27, and 52...OP should go with his idea...and it's funny, I imagine the OP quit following this thread a loooooooooooooooong time ago!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

...and it's funny, I imagine the OP quit following this thread a loooooooooooooooong time ago!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

No way! He's a Site Team moderator. They never stop watching the threads! That's why they earn the big bucks!:D

Greetings,
Hmm...63 posts and anchors haven't been mentioned once...We just passed through a full moon phase...Is there a general malaise occurring... Hmmm...

Greetings,
Hmm...63 posts and anchors haven't been mentioned once...We just passed through a full moon phase...Is there a general malaise occurring... Hmmm...

Is it possible that if someone buys a new Fresh head they could use the old head for an anchor as long as they used all chain rode.

When I cobble something together that uses the same or better parts than a manufacturer...for half the price...and the engineering performance (maybe not looks) is equal.....

What does that make me? And what does it make those that continue to make innuendo about those of us that need to be creative enjoying this lifestyle?

The last statement isn't for just this thread but as long as I have posted here it applies....so don't take it personally anyone...:socool:

Last edited:
So, Scott: We've both made that suggestion in posts 2, 27, and 52...OP should go with his idea...and it's funny, I imagine the OP quit following this thread a loooooooooooooooong time ago!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Good point, lot of talk for a head.

I like the drift about using an old head for an anchor, my guess is that with an adjustable lid it would be best if used as a MUD anchor. :eek: :thumb:

Greetings,
Mr. R2. Atta boy!...But if you pull the chain will it flush the ocean?

I think the biggist question is will it hold equally as well in fresh water as in salt water.

No way! He's a Site Team moderator. They never stop watching the threads! That's why they earn the big bucks!:D
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Fascinated by the extended conversation. While Bay Pelican is an extremely well equipped boat, my preference is to avoid relying on technology working and thus the addition of another solenoid and another vacuum breaker is not appealing to me. Also getting rid of my manual head which I know how to fix (quickly I might add) and for which I have a full set of spare parts is not in the cards.

Last reason for not using the house fresh water system is that fresh water is precious. I have to make it using a water maker (which is the most troublesome item on the boat) and I have an abundant supply of rain water which is currently going overboard.

Bay Pelican: Water is precious-agreed. I used a collection system off my upper decks the entire time I was in the Dominican Republic (three months), the local stuff was rather suspect. No problems with it and very simple- filtered and chlorinated with ample supply. Most would be surprised how much can be collected even with a 1/4" of rain.

dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the clarification.

The Headmistress clarified nothing. She plugged new heads (Raritan in particular), which is typical (See her "Bottom line" in the last paragraph of post 17). And Scotty, as shown in post #55, these new fresh water heads have an anti-syphon valve and a solenoid to differentiate them from a raw water head. I provided a link to the equivalent Jabsco combination valve earlier. There's nothing "cobbled" together about using the exact same items employed by head manufacturers. The Headmistress doesn't want to talk technical details, either because she doesn't understand the designs, or because conversions don't sell new (Raritan) heads or kits.

Last edited:
The Headmistress clarified nothing. She plugged new heads (Raritan in particular), which is typical (See her "Bottom line" in the last paragraph of post 17). And Scotty, as shown in post #55, these new fresh water heads have an anti-syphon valve and a solenoid to differentiate them from a raw water head. I provided a link to the equivalent Jabsco combination valve earlier. There's nothing "cobbled" together about using the exact same items employed by head manufacturers. The Headmistress doesn't want to talk technical details, either because she doesn't understand the designs, or because conversions don't sell new (Raritan) heads or kits.

What is not clear about her response to the question?

Peggy, I had worried about the possibility of contamination when my boat was built (with those Raritan heads, btw), but was assured that there was no risk of bacterial or viral migration "because that water line is pressurized". It later dawned on me that, contrary to my manufactuer's recommendation, I don't keep my water pumps energized when I am off the boat for extended periods, but I was assured that the system was fool-proof, even without power.

Now I see your post, above, and (because you refer to a "pressurized" system as being a safe alternative), I am again concerned that my system is not safe if not continuously pressurized.

Am I misunderstanding your advice?
Thanks, Rick

One more time: It is safe to connect any toilet to the potable water system that is designed by the mfr to use pressurized fresh water. [My emphasis.]

Therefore, if your Raritan toilets are designed to use pressurized fresh water, your system is safe whether the water pump is on and the system is pressurized or not.

Rick happens to have Raritan toilets. Why wouldn't she answer in that context?

Is there something in what she says that suggests some other brand -- if designed for pressurized fresh water system -- wouldn't be similarly safe?

Would you expect the Ford CEO to be hawking Chevies?

-Chris

You guys should know that Peggie Hall does not sell marine toilets and has no financial connection to Raritan.

The Headmistress clarified nothing. She plugged new heads (Raritan in particular), which is typical (See her "Bottom line" in the last paragraph of post 17). . . . The Headmistress doesn't want to talk technical details, either because she doesn't understand the designs, or because conversions don't sell new (Raritan) heads or kits.

In keeping with the subject matter, this is a crock of s**t. I've spent at least an hour on the phone with Peggie getting excellent advice on redesigning our heads and holding tank. She suggested different options and mentioned different brands. I never felt pressured to buy Raritan--or anything for that matter. Insulting her qualifications and motives is a disservice to her and everybody on this forum who benefits from her generosity.

Amen!
in keeping with the subject matter, this is a crock of s**t. I've spent at least an hour on the phone with peggie getting excellent advice on redesigning our heads and holding tank. She suggested different options and mentioned different brands. I never felt pressured to buy raritan--or anything for that matter. Insulting her qualifications and motives is a disservice to her and everybody on this forum who benefits from her generosity.

In keeping with the subject matter, this is a crock of s**t. I've spent at least an hour on the phone with Peggie getting excellent advice on redesigning our heads and holding tank. She suggested different options and mentioned different brands. I never felt pressured to buy Raritan--or anything for that matter. Insulting her qualifications and motives is a disservice to her and everybody on this forum who benefits from her generosity.

Peggie's is a class act and we're lucky to have her participation here on TF. Besides, she really knows her ****.

What is not clear about her response to the question?

Saying a fresh water head designed for the task is safe (and that it's the only option for plugging into a fresh water supply...see last paragraph of post #17) does nothing but plug new heads. Stating why they're safe would be clarification in the context of these discussions. But then it would be apparent that there's nothing magic about new fresh water heads... a couple of valves (or one combi) and Bob's your mother's brother.

[Rick happens to have Raritan toilets. Why wouldn't she answer in that context?]

Look back at her posts over a period of time. Raritan endorsements all over the place. Just sayin'. Nothing wrong with that, she's a commercial poster...just be aware, that's all. Oh, and I believe Hopcar does sell Rariitan heads. Again, no problem...just be aware.

Last edited:

Last reason for not using the house fresh water system is that fresh water is precious. I have to make it using a water maker (which is the most troublesome item on the boat) and I have an abundant supply of rain water which is currently going overboard.

I take it the boat is not on Lake Michigan....

Saying a fresh water head designed for the task is safe (and that it's the only option for plugging into a fresh water supply...see last paragraph of post #17) does nothing but plug new heads. Stating why they're safe would be clarification in the context of these discussions.

She said this in post #17, and I thought that seemed quite clear:

There's a bit more to toilets designed to use pressurized fresh water than just a check valve...you'd need a back flow preventer (check valve) siphon check valve...if the toilet is electric, a solenoid valve...

And she also included Jabsco alternatives as possible solutions, in that same post.

Look back at her posts over a period of time. Raritan endorsements all over the place. Just sayin'. Nothing wrong with that, she's a commercial poster...just be aware, that's all. Oh, and I believe Hopcar does sell Rariitan heads. Again, no problem...just be aware.

Well, of course she's a commercial poster. Who would not be aware of that? And in most cases, who better to answer questions like OP's, than someone who has an actual clue, no speculation required?

And if a commercial poster might offer specific examples of solutions, wouldn't you expect those usually to be models he or she is most familiar with?

-Chris

Last edited:
This is about one of the easiest things to understand on a boat.

Read through the thread and one can figure out a least 2 ways of rigging a salt water toilet to fresh water safely.

If not, pm me and I will be glad to point it out.

Saying a fresh water head designed for the task is safe (and that it's the only option for plugging into a fresh water supply...see last paragraph of post #17) does nothing but plug new heads. Stating why they're safe would be clarification in the context of these discussions. But then it would be apparent that there's nothing magic about new fresh water heads... a couple of valves (or one combi) and Bob's your mother's brother.

[Rick happens to have Raritan toilets. Why wouldn't she answer in that context?]

Oh good God! Did your aluminum foil helmet fall off or something?

To imply that Peggie and Hopcar are even remotely plugging Rairitan heads (pun noted) for their own gain in this convoluted thread is boardering on stupidity and perhaps paranoia.

I take it the boat is not on Lake Michigan....

Eastern Caribbean. Water prices are not high if one doesn't mind going into a marina. St. Lucia's Rodney Bay marina charges approximately 15 cents US a gallon. Not bad. However, it is the only place in St. Lucia to buy water. Same problem other islands. Not a lot of marinas. We try and visit a marina every six weeks to use shore power to equalize the batteries.

I am however drinking a glass of Lake Michigan water as I type this.

Just so we're clear, HopCar does sell Raritan toilets, also Jabsco and Groco.
My boat is equipped with a Groco K.

Hopkins-Carter Marine has no connection to Peggie Hall except to sell her book.

Peggie is a commercial poster not because she sells toilets but because she sells a book about marine toilets. Nobody pays her to recommend Raritan products.

My answer to the original question is, yes you can connect your toilet to a dedicated fresh water tank. I think that's a good idea.

This thread has really gone off the tracks.

I recommend Raritan equipment because Raritan happens to be one of the the last two US mfrs left standing who build equipment that isn't "disposable." Groco is the other one, they have only two toilets, both manual--HF and Model K...neither of which are designed to use pressurized flush water Jabsco was the first to go... Thetford bought W-C for the sole purpose of discontinuing the entire W-C line because W-C toilets last for decades and there's no profit in repair parts... I've been at this for 25 years...and in that length of time I've seen literally thousands of posts and heard from hundreds of people who've had experience with every toilet ever made...rarely are there any complaints from owners of Raritan equipment...rarely will you ever see a post from anyone asking for help to trouble shoot a problem with Raritan equipment. Raritan equipment is always top rated by Practical Sailor--and also Powerboat Reports before publication was discontinued. So yes, I do recommend Raritan equipment. Wouldn't you recommend equipment, not just toilets, but ANY equipment that you know from experience--from decades of BOAT OWNERS' EXPERIENCE --is the most durable and trouble free?

You suggest that others "search the archives"...I suggest that YOU search the archives for posts looking for help to trouble-shoot all the toilet makes/models and see for yourself which ones show up the least.

I sold my own company's product line to Raritan...I could have gone to work for them. I didn't because I've always "called 'em as I see 'em." As an employee, my advice would have become as tainted as you want to believe that it is...and they would not have been at all pleased to have me recommend a competitor's product--which I have done and will continue to do when I think it's better suited to a particular application. So we agreed it was in both our best interests that I continue to remain free to "call 'em as I see 'em."

And I'm gonna leave it there while I can still resist the urge to apply that to you!

Yep!!! Thank you sir. :thumb:

This is about one of the easiest things to understand on a boat.

Read through the thread and one can figure out a least 2 ways of rigging a salt water toilet to fresh water safely.

If not, pm me and I will be glad to point it out.

No thanks, Peggy has a clue, I'll trust her expertise thank you very much. No cobbling water systems to the crap systems for me. :D

May I recommend, perhaps bottled water for you. :thumb:

Last edited:
:thumb::thumb:

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

And now back to our original programming.

Back
Top Bottom