Grabbing the Mooring Bouy Ring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I detest moorings that only have a ring you have to snag. Here in Maine virtually every mooring has a pennant attached to the chain. The pennant generally has a small float tied to it with 2-4 feet of small line. On my trawler I have a large window next to the helm. I open the window and come up beside the buoy and snag the pennant with mt boat hook, which I can reach through the window. I then pass a line that is secured to a bow cleat through the eye on the pennant or chain rig and drop the loop at the free end of the line over my midships cleat. After I shut down, I walk the mooring connection to the bow and do the final securing.

On my sailboat (whch has 5'9" freeboard at the bow), I come up along side the mooring, snag it with my boat hook and walk it forward to make the tie off.

My own mooring has a 25' pennant with a 6' pickup wand tied to the loop at the end of the pennant. I simply come up along side the mooring, grab the pickup wand and pull the pennant aboard. It can be a bit tricky in winds above 20 knots, but I generally manage 100+ mooring pickups a year, so it isn't all that bad.

I've been threading my line through and tying it off on both port and starboard cleats on the bow (kind of a v-shape). It is simple and allows me to untie at the boat, not the float. So after I tie up, no more leaning out till the next tie up. Any thoughts on this method?

I hook first then will thread a second line through removing the hook when secure. As to where we hook it would depend on the boat. What kind of freeboard at bow can helmsman see buoy when in close can hooker guide helmsman while on bow?? With our present boat the low freeboard at mid cockpit level allows for very secure hooking there with a long line doubled back from the bow. Once hooked I maneuver the stern away from buoy and slowly go astern allowing the buoy to go forward just off my stb. side while crew walks forward shortening double line as needed. This method works because buoy is always visible to helm the crew uses two way radio and boat is always under control (on our boat). If I have to do it single handed no sweat I have remote control units both cockpit and wireless. I would think based on the boat and crews abilities the method is best tailored to the situation and people who cruise a lot usually find their comfort zone and make it look easy.

I've been threading my line through and tying it off on both port and starboard cleats on the bow (kind of a v-shape). It is simple and allows me to untie at the boat, not the float. So after I tie up, no more leaning out till the next tie up. Any thoughts on this method?

The issue with the single line V approach is that the line will be very susceptible to chafe and the boat will "horse" more. Individual lines run through the line and each brought back to its respective cleat is better.

There are at least a half dozen or more different kinds of mooring systems, so you really can't make any generalizations about methodology. When cruising, it is highly advisable to talk with the harbormaster, and/or do some research well in advance to get the info on how best to tie up to their system.

Check out this very clever boat hook

I'm going to have to see one in person. No matter how many times I watch the video, it's still like magic.

I'm going to have to see one in person. No matter how many times I watch the video, it's still like magic.

I thought the same thing. Then I looked at Giggitoni's and Delta Swizzler's. They are well built and a great improvement over the Happy Hooker that I have. But my HH works so I'm not rushing out to drop $200 on this accessory just yet.

The key is that the hook portion pulls out about six to eight inches. As it pulls out the actual hook is moved from one side to the other. This moves the hook trough the ring and brings the line with it.

Just realized my command of the English language (or any other language) is not sufficient to describe how it works.

It's really quite simple. If you send me $10 I'll send you a personalized certificate with the explanation and record your certificate in book form in the Library of Congress.

Seen the clip several times and still can't comprehend how it works! It's magic!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom