Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So ya set me up Matt ... and I fell hard.

Re Bruce's coment is there an equal size fuel tank on either side of da boat? I have control over listing from fuel burn and water consumption but if/when the water tanks (in the Laz) get low I'll be stern high. I never want to be in big stern seas w a light stern. Ideally our consumable fluids should be centered amidships in the hull so trim is a given all the time. Very few boats will be ideal I suspect.

When you're done and have used the boat for awhile you may have some interesting comments about design. That is basically what you've done .. design a boat .. Oh and build it too. I did that once in the 70's.

Re Bruce's coment is there an equal size fuel tank on either side of da boat? I have control over listing from fuel burn and water consumption but if/when the water tanks (in the Laz) get low I'll be stern high. I never want to be in big stern seas w a light stern. Ideally our consumable fluids should be centered amidships in the hull so trim is a given all the time. Very few boats will be ideal I suspect.

When you're done and have used the boat for awhile you may have some interesting comments about design. That is basically what you've done .. design a boat .. Oh and build it too. I did that once in the 70's.

The fish odds are better in here than in than in the ocean haha.

It's all good tho my friend. It serves to show me that you're interested in the success of this build etc

Both tanks run lengthwise across the boat Port to Starboard. The tanks are cantered on the keel.

It's hard to describe but there are pics back in the posts after I flipped her back over.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Looks like Matt has that covered anyway Eric, but taking up your point re the possibility of upsetting trim by unequal consumption, it appears one situation where my old Lotus has that solved nicely. Fuel and water tanks are duplicated each side and equally sized, but draw down equally merely by each being linked to the other via feeds between them, which also means you can fill from just one side and it flows across and equalises quickly, and is always in trim, no mater how much is used. Also, as the water tanks are inboard and between the fuel tanks in the ford lazaret, it does not affect fore and aft trim either. I guess something had to be right on my boat. ;)

Peter,
I've always liked CGBs and now I like them more.
How big is the equalizing hose or pipe between the tanks? Where does it attach (high or low). Wouldn't equalize if it was high and would take forever to fill one tank if it was small.

Just an FYI

I have a co-op feed 1/4" i.d. copper hose with shut off valve on top end of two 100 gallon side tanks. It's internal stems reach near each tank's bottom. I find that if valve is left open the tanks drain at considerably different rates with the twins running... yet when valve is in off position they drain at similar rates. With valve off, only conflict of fuel amount drawn out of either tank is that the gen set draws off starboard only. My unique, accurate fuel measuring technique keeps me abreast of level in each tank. With the minimal amount of fuel used by gen set I find little need for concern on the trim. At fill up all becomes good again! Except thickness of my wallet - LOL!

Art,
I have 100 gal on each side too. I can adjust valves so they are connected and should equalize but never do. I'm rather list sensitive and when I notice a slight list I change tank draw. We burn so little fuel I don't switch tanks all that often.

I have the feeling that if the boat lists for other reasons more fuel will transfer to the low side. That's not appealing to me and I like to be in control.

The console has now been leather wrapped. I have some gloss black facia panels to fit then the gauges and switches can go in

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433421622.173810.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433421654.322716.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433421689.475422.jpg

Can you rebuild my boat when you're done with yours?

Hendo it looks GREAT! All the little details even the recessed electrical panel. That whole console just looks like its meant to be.

Today I finished off the ceiling arched area, the ply in the transom, roof supports and the backing board on the shower wall.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434522463.893488.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434522484.758074.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434522628.570357.jpg

Matt , that leather wrapped console and those ceiling planks are sweeeeet . This gonna be a nice ride .

Noah had a boat building mission too! He got write-up in the Bible!!

Your mission is much more conducive to Having FUN! There ought to be marine magazine that will write-up a story on your incredible efforts once you have splashed AXE!!

"Custom Boat by Matt"

Keep Getten It On - Big Dude! :speed boat:

PS & BTW: Inquiring mind want ta know...

We've read what drove Noah's energy... Now, what is the energy that drives you... besides simply you relish your love for "mind to hand" creating things made from materials??? Your work ethic is impeccable. I've (and I believe we've all) never seen this much passion but into resurrecting any old boat hull for the reality of a 21st Century pleasure cruiser that is happening to AXE!

AXE Luvs Ya Baby!!! :thumb:

I like the picture of the radar dome LOL

Noah had a boat building mission too! He got write-up in the Bible!!

Your mission is much more conducive to Having FUN! There ought to be marine magazine that will write-up a story on your incredible efforts once you have splashed AXE!!

"Custom Boat by Matt"

Keep Getten It On - Big Dude! :speed boat:

PS & BTW: Inquiring mind want ta know...

We've read what drove Noah's energy... Now, what is the energy that drives you... besides simply you relish your love for "mind to hand" creating things made from materials??? Your work ethic is impeccable. I've (and I believe we've all) never seen this much passion but into resurrecting any old boat hull for the reality of a 21st Century pleasure cruiser that is happening to AXE!

AXE Luvs Ya Baby!!! :thumb:

Thank you for the kind words my friend.

What drives me? Hmmm dreams mate. Dreaming of what I can do once I've done. A supportive woman and pride in a completed job and most of all, stubbornness

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words my friend.

What drives me? Hmmm dreams mate. Dreaming of what I can do once I've done. A supportive woman and pride in a completed job and most of all, stubbornness

Ahhhh... Male Stubbornness... Ain't It Great!!! :rofl:

Matt, I have for the first time Console envy. That is becoming the most beautiful sculpture (Axe) i have ever seen (pictures of) in my life. MAN your ideas just keep getting better. How... Never mind I would not understand if you told me where your ideas come from. Extreme inspiration I am sure. Great to see you still sculpting the AXE! Cheers Mate.:thumb:

Thanks guys. Appreciate your support. It means a lot. Not sure how I can thank you all but I'm working on some ideas.

After work today I fitted and routed the gloss black acrylic then fitted some of the accessories.

Still have to fit the HDS10, the radio/CD player, the glovebox and a few other bits and pieces.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434632997.158619.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434633042.378788.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434633057.529978.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434633072.380961.jpg

Matt - Don't forget an obscure covered area for a cigarette lighter or three... today's communication equip and other items could get a charge out of that! - Art

Sure Looks Purty!!

Where is the throttle/shift going to mount?

Matt - Don't forget an obscure covered area for a cigarette lighter or three... today's communication equip and other items could get a charge out of that! - Art

Sure Looks Purty!!

Cheers mate. Didn't think about that. Will do!

Helm looks very small OD.
Do you have power steering?

I would add a "oh sh!t" handle. Something to hold onto with one hand while steering.

Matt...if you ever give up boat restoration...that nice leatherwork might get you a start in exporting kinky underwear...:D

Keep up the good work....:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom