Transducer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyBad

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
34' Tollycraft Sedan
I am coming to the "floor" here with my newb questions. Yes I'm a bit green, as compared to some here, but I am motivated. :D

Since all the electronics on our 1980 34 Sedan, are from the last century, time for some upgrades.

I really like the Garmin GPSMAP 7607xsv or the GPSMAP 741xs.

I would like to expand the systems in the future.

I would like to add a CHIRP transducer, with the unit now, I really don't need side, and down scan.

We boat in the SF delta, but will hit the bay, and maybe venture off coast. Any recommendations [or schooling] is welcome. I have been told to look at Airmar B265L, or BM75, and lastly Gt50 thru hull if there is a spot less than 5 degrees.

I am not sold on anything yet, but doing my due diligence, so I can get closer to purchase.

Thanks MB

I just finished installing an Airmar B45 w/ the fairing block. Installation was rather straightforward. Took some time to find the best location to keep it out of the way but as easy as possible for cable routing. I determined dead rise angle using a carpenters adjustable bevel gauge and a level then used the angle reading to set the table on my band saw to cut the fairing block in two. Installation really goes better w/ 2 people working together - one inside one out.
Mine connected up to an existing Raymarine MFD thru a DSM 30 sounder module. The sounder module I picked up on eBay for less than 1/2 of what a new one would run.

Not quite sure why anyone does through hull anymore except for tournament fisherman or with transducers that have to be for multi-scanning.

Not quite sure why anyone does through hull anymore except for tournament fisherman or with transducers that have to be for multi-scanning.

Because some of us boat in water deeper than 20'...

But seriously, knowing bottom contours and consistency is helpful when dropping prawn traps 450' down. I wasn't getting good resolution with either of my transducers when they were temporarily in hull. When permanently mounted, thru hull and on stern, they worked great.

Never had an issue down to around 600 feet...the airmar literature some place discusses that if the hull, and install is satisfactory the transducers are designed to shoot thru without an issue.

Their brochure discuss the simple, inexpensive ones are good to 1000 feet. I haven't tested them to that but ones I have installed shoot to 500-600 no problem as many guys fish the edge of the east coast canyons regularly.

But not a lot of info as the regulars out there all have high performance thru hull ducers.

For most trawler guys, again I'm not sure why the designed in hulls aren't the preferred ducer...if issues, most manufacturers will swap...at least through a good dealer.

Sorry you had issues...in hull certainly is worth a shot as it can't get much simpler.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom