Sage advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is funny.
Almost everyone is recomending the boats that they own.
And they assume the OP knows best when he mentions 40'.
Some are even telling him how many engines he should have.
Despite the above and other subjective opinions handed out there is some good thoughts the OP should listen to. Probably the OP will have trouble picking them out though.

To be a member of the club I suppose I should recomend he buy a Willard?

This is funny.
Almost everyone is recomending the boats that they own.
And they assume the OP knows best when he mentions 40'.
Some are even telling him how many engines he should have.
Despite the above and other subjective opinions handed out there is some good thoughts the OP should listen to. Probably the OP will have trouble picking them out though.

To be a member of the club I suppose I should recomend he buy a Willard?

I recommend Taiwanese Tubs, Leaky Teakies, and other Blackiron Monsters.

But seriously, the OP should consider the 37' Nordic Tug another TF poster is selling in Fort Pierce...if the price is right.

I would enter you price and length parameters in the Yachtworld Advanced Search mode for you region to get an overview of what is out ther. Then I would go out and go aboard as many of the boats that you can to get a better picture of what you might be looking for. Build a bit of a data base to keep track of what you like and what you and your wife do not like to help refine your search. What I like in a boat is not necessarily relevant to what you might like or need. We are in the same age group but our interests etc might be oceans apart. Take the time to do your ground work and check in with the forum as you narrow down your search to get more specific feedback on brands and models. I think it will mean a lot more to you after you have gone aboard.

Enjoy your search and make each visit a fun event with time to talk and fill in the pro/con list of each vessel. Keep records and photos as they will all begin to blend together very very soon.

Another problem with this style of boat at anchor is climbing a 6' tall ladder to get on deck from the dingy. We have a double cabin and that is bad enough. Neither is a problem when you are young and spry, but the older you get the more of a problem it becomes. If the wife is not too keen right now she really won't be when she is standing on the swim platform and has to climb a ladder that is taller than her.

The best advise I can give the op is to take the wife looking for a trawler to charter and let her pick the charter boat and go for a month and see how it goes with both on you.

That is assuming we are talking Taiwan built boats. While my boat in my signature is not a trawler, it is an ACMY. And it does provide molded in stairs to the swim platform with a nice handrail eliminating the problem you bring up. It is a very valid point though. And while I am not saying buy my style of boat, I would recommend looking outside the realm of "trawlers" just in case there are boats that might fit the OP's criteria in that subset. Boats like mine are marketed directly at the admiral. So she might like something like that.

The perfect boat

Your talking about tying up 250k that won't be easy to get back, When you do get it back it will have shrunk considerably. Chartering is a really good idea as a way of exploring what the life style would look like, building confidence in your boat handling for your wife, and building enthusiasm towards the adventure. You don't have to do this trip in a high end boat. You could buy a Bayliner 3288/ 3877 for around 60k that would easily do the trip, be easy to unload when your done. You wouldn't have the queen of the ball, but you would have solid boat that has a good following that will sell easily when your done. The trip can be done in almost any small boat. I have a friend who did the trip , the full lope, in a 16' outboard. I've found through experience that often times the smallest boat that will do the job is often the best choice.

Jeeze that's a lovely looking boat Walt. I bet you let out a long sigh…rather like when you slide into a nice warm bath on a wintery night...when you got back into a boat like that, and even maybe had to admit…as nice and all as that Gourmet Cruiser was….oooooogh….aarrrgh...;)
That's exactly right, Peter! I'm sure that everyone on this forum is in love with their boat....that's what makes this hobby so great!

We had friends in town last night & we stopped by the boat for some wine & hors d'oeuvres (spell?) before going to dinner. None of us wanted to leave the boat but our stomachs thought otherwise. We just love her!

Last edited:
You pick'em Walt. I remember how much you liked your last boat. I really really liked my last boat (Albin) but can't say I loved it .... that would put me in Art's catergory.

And it does provide molded in stairs to the swim platform with a nice handrail eliminating the problem you bring up. It is a very valid point though. And while I am not saying buy my style of boat, I would recommend looking outside the realm of "trawlers" just in case there are boats that might fit the OP's criteria in that subset. Boats like mine are marketed directly at the admiral. So she might like something like that.

Useful point to emphasize. When we shopped last, the final two boats on the short list of three (?) were a 43' and 40' trawler and the 42' Convertible we bought.

Wifey voted for the one we bought. (Hint, hint.)

She felt we have more space in this one. In reality, both of the trawlers had more space -- the 43 may have been twice as much -- but I think it felt like "skinny" space whereas what we have makes use of the full beam. (The trawlers had great side decks, though.)

Anyway, we often run like a trawler, so it's all good.

-Chris

I would enter you price and length parameters in the Yachtworld Advanced Search mode for you region to get an overview of what is out ther. Then I would go out and go aboard as many of the boats that you can to get a better picture of what you might be looking for. Build a bit of a data base to keep track of what you like and what you and your wife do not like to help refine your search. What I like in a boat is not necessarily relevant to what you might like or need. We are in the same age group but our interests etc might be oceans apart. Take the time to do your ground work and check in with the forum as you narrow down your search to get more specific feedback on brands and models. I think it will mean a lot more to you after you have gone aboard.

Enjoy your search and make each visit a fun event with time to talk and fill in the pro/con list of each vessel. Keep records and photos as they will all begin to blend together very very soon.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Exactly what I said a few posts ago....I would only add that Denison's Yacht sales offers the same service of weekly e-mail of boats matching your criteria....find a style that the Wife says ooooh and aaaah over, and go look at some of those....remember, wide angle lenses on the camera make spaces look bigger...sooooooooooo once you find a few you like in your locale, go get on 'em. Trust me, you criteria will change a few times until you narrow it down to a short list. The search both on the computer AND on the docks is fun! HONEST

Salon - Not Sage... Just Fact!
:thumb: :lol:

I sent the above post #27 at 4:45 AM PDT today. Since then not one email notice came to me regarding several posts thereafter. Seems to have happened similarly on other threads for me. This is first time I mentioned it. Once I post again, such as I am doing right now to this thread, it usually puts my email back on the list of notices for learning of others' posts. This same item occurring to others??? :confused::confused::confused:

You pick'em Walt. I remember how much you liked your last boat. I really really liked my last boat (Albin) but can't say I loved it .... that would put me in Art's catergory.

Yo, Eric - I pretty much love every boat I've owned... otherwise would not have bought it! I'm a fall-over for a good boat. However, never show it my love till after the deal is closed. But, because I check em all out so well before layen the big $$$$ down... Once owned... those gals (boats) are in trouble cause I take advantage of their fine natures and their capabilities to "provide" me with great pleasure. :D :dance:

Everyone knows what a saloon is and boats don't got'em.

Perhaps John Wayne's boat.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433193681.414389.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. mb. "Everyone knows what a saloon is..."
And YOUR proof of the proper use of the word saloon is? Here's mine. Refute if you can...and perhaps "everyone" is not as misinformed as you seem to be.

salon (n.) 1690s, "large room or apartment in a palace or great house," from French salon "reception room" (17c.), from Italian salone "large hall," from sala "hall," from a Germanic source (compare Old English sele, Old Norse salr "hall," Old High German sal "hall, house," German Saal), from Proto-Germanic *salaz, from PIE *sel- (1) "human settlement" (cognates: Old Church Slavonic selo "courtyard, village," obsolete Polish siolo, Russian selo "village," Lithuanian sala "village").

Sense of "reception room of a Parisian lady" is from 1810; meaning "gathering of fashionable people" first recorded 1888 (the woman who hosts one is a salonnière). Meaning "annual exhibition of contemporary paintings and sculpture in Paris" is from its originally being held in one of the salons of the Louvre. Meaning "establishment for hairdressing and beauty care" is from1913.

saloon (n.) 1728, anglicized form of salon, and originally used interchangeable with it. Meaning "large hall in a public place for entertainment, etc." is from 1747; especially a passenger boat from 1817, also used of railway cars furnished like drawing rooms (1842). Sense of "public bar" developed by 1841, American English.

I hope this ends this foolishness once and for all.

Oh, and allow me to cite my source: http://etymonline.com/index.php

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. mb. "Everyone knows what a saloon is..."
And YOUR proof of the proper use of the word saloon is? Here's mine. Refute if you can...and perhaps "everyone" is not as misinformed as you seem to be.

salon (n.) 1690s, "large room or apartment in a palace or great house," from French salon "reception room" (17c.), from Italian salone "large hall," from sala "hall," from a Germanic source (compare Old English sele, Old Norse salr "hall," Old High German sal "hall, house," German Saal), from Proto-Germanic *salaz, from PIE *sel- (1) "human settlement" (cognates: Old Church Slavonic selo "courtyard, village," obsolete Polish siolo, Russian selo "village," Lithuanian sala "village").

Sense of "reception room of a Parisian lady" is from 1810; meaning "gathering of fashionable people" first recorded 1888 (the woman who hosts one is a salonnière). Meaning "annual exhibition of contemporary paintings and sculpture in Paris" is from its originally being held in one of the salons of the Louvre. Meaning "establishment for hairdressing and beauty care" is from1913.

saloon (n.) 1728, anglicized form of salon, and originally used interchangeable with it. Meaning "large hall in a public place for entertainment, etc." is from 1747; especially a passenger boat from 1817, also used of railway cars furnished like drawing rooms (1842). Sense of "public bar" developed by 1841, American English.

I hope this ends this foolishness once and for all.

Oh, and allow me to cite my source: Online Etymology Dictionary

Matt Dillon, Miss Kitty, Chester, Festus, Hoss / Little Joe / Adam Cartwright, Rowdy Yates, Mr. Favor and many other good ol cowboys and pretty gals always went to a Saloon to drink booze.

Then they often slipped into a gal’s Salon for more intimate, gentle, fun-filled entertainment features.

Therefore... In light of day, when the shades are open and all are clothed with cocktail in hand; saloon could surface for terminology on a boat. BUT… after-hours when the booze may have had time to apply its vices, shades are drawn, moon glows in the sky, and skimpy cloths at best are garb of choice; the second "o" in saloon disappears so that salon can come into "play".

Aboard boat I whole heartedly enjoy the word Salon and its gentle, female manifested connotations over and above the crass word Saloon wherein rough tough boys too often abuse their powers for cussing, spatting, and maybe even fisticuffs.

Soooo... A boat’s main cabin will always be its Salon – To Me! :socool: :D

Greetings,
Mr. A. Oh you poor lost soul...I suppose when it's raining you raise your umbrella? The more genteel of us deploy our bumbershoot...
Bumbershoot | Define Bumbershoot at Dictionary.com
If you will note in post #46 under the origins of the word salon, nowhere does it even remotely suggest a boat/ship/vessel whereas the word saloon specifically notes "... especially a passenger boat from 1817..."
As to drinking establishments being named saloons, this was a clever ruse perpetrated by purveyors of demon alcohol and keepers of dens of loose women to lend a semblance of decency to otherwise tawdry and lowbrow establishments along the same lines as calling a pool hall a billiard parlor or a Ford Mustang a sports car.
As an aside; "... into a gal’s Salon for more intimate..." Yes indeed, prostitution! So IF you wish to describe YOUR saloon as a salon, go right ahead but you may want to relocate your vessel to Nevada where such high jinks are legal.

I suspect this verbal sparing is NOT aiding the OP in any way other than to suggest the fact that any boat he gets should have a comfortable saloon.

Last edited:
I think the problem is seeking Sage advice, when we sometimes provide Guru advice.

Greetings,
Mr. A. Oh you poor lost soul...I suppose when it's raining you raise your umbrella? The more genteel of us deploy our bumbershoot...
Bumbershoot | Define Bumbershoot at Dictionary.com
If you will note in post #46 under the origins of the word salon, nowhere does it even remotely suggest a boat/ship/vessel whereas the word saloon specifically notes "... especially a passenger boat from 1817..."
As to drinking establishments being named saloons, this was a clever ruse perpetrated by purveyors of demon alcohol and keepers of dens of loose women to lend a semblance of decency to otherwise tawdry and lowbrow establishments along the same lines as calling a pool hall a billiard parlor or a Ford Mustang a sports car.
As an aside; "... into a gal’s Salon for more intimate..." Yes indeed, prostitution! So IF you wish to describe YOUR saloon as a salon, go right ahead but you may want to relocate your vessel to Nevada where such high jinks are legal.

I suspect this verbal sparing is NOT aiding the OP in any way other than to suggest the fact that any boat he gets should have a comfortable saloon.

Comforts of a saloon hold no match to comforts of s salon. OP had best decide which side of the gate seems more in-tune with desires at hand. Your stated ..." Yes indeed prostitution!" Lends credence that you subliminally may appreciate the word salon more than saloon. Check your feelings... then proceed to the door truly desired. :lol:

Art, RT,

On behalf of everyone else and the OP. Can you two take this to private message for crying out loud. Ten posts of this stupidity would make mother Theresa cuss.

Thank you

:flowers:

Oh yes I was about to recomend the OP buy a Willard.

Art, RT,

On behalf of everyone else and the OP. Can you two take this to private message for crying out loud. Ten posts of this stupidity would make mother Theresa cuss.

Thank you

:flowers:

:iagree::peace::D

The comment about not scaring the crap out of the wife is spot on. You don't mention your boat driving skill level but I can assure you that all those guys making it look easy have a lot of practice. The ones banging into things, heavy hand on the throttle and yelling at everyone involved are the ones whose wife wont ever get on the boat again.

I used to hang out with a couple whose wife would go out on my boat when we would go boating together. Every time they would go on their boat some crazy stuff would happen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom