Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This afternoons effort.

Sanded the roof. Finished the roof frieze and then Put on two more coats of epoxy and then started with the interior fitout

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432286537.523885.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432286568.570527.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432286594.858903.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432286612.541258.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432286643.476789.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432286672.583988.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432286743.388276.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432286769.840520.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Hi Matt,

Did you put a water lift muffler between the engine and the exhaust port in the hull? Looks like the exhaust port will be fairly close to the waterline. Seems like there is quite a bit of height in the engine space to bring the discharge of the lift muffler up to the ceiling of the engine space and then down to the hull exhaust port.

Ted

Hi Ted,
Page 56 - 58 mate.

This is what I have done mate. Do you think it will work ok?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432297061.965946.jpg

Last edited:
"Yeh Flic forgave me for being a boy and not wanting to talk about anything other than the boat for four years, especially feelings and **** :-/ .... "

Matt, glad to see Flic is developing your feminine side....will help your relationship enormously. Will also be handy when you start the interior decorating....:)

Hi Ted,
Page 56 - 58 mate.

This is what I have done mate. Do you think it will work ok?

View attachment 40380

Sorry, must have missed it when I was reading the thread a few months ago. Looks good. Would want to make sure the drop in the hose between upper elbow and the exhaust port stays above the waterline if at all possible. Looks like you have plenty of rise from the lift muffler to the ceiling.

Keep up the good work!

Ted

Matt, glad to see Flic is developing your feminine side....will help your relationship enormously. Will also be handy when you start the interior decorating....:)

effemine3.gif

Hendo,

I have been going back through the thread trying to find the area for the giant barbeque that any manly man needs to make life worth living???????

And the walk in beer cooler? If you are going all out...?

Hendo,

I have been going back through the thread trying to find the area for the giant barbeque that any manly man needs to make life worth living???????

And the walk in beer cooler? If you are going all out...?

Hahahaha BBQ will be hanging off the back of the hull extension, as for the beers, I'll have a fridge and places for coolers etc.

Today I got the outside roof lining done and came up way better than I thought. Very nautical IMHO. Green tape is location of external speakers, other wiring are for the LED Downlights. Just need to fill in the curved area with the boards but need to make a template first.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432360961.228281.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432361006.263333.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432361019.447530.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432361033.817349.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432361045.799804.jpg

That looks really nice!

I installed some more of the prefinished ceiling planks. I also installed the wall insulation ready for the wall panels tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433062914.342189.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433062925.821897.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433062943.175929.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433062958.607711.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433062972.508963.jpg

Hey Matt – Looken Rally Good!

With that much insulation your AXE will be either the warmest or coolest boat on thewater. We already know it is Simply TOO COOL! - LOL

What brand insulation you installing? I know it's been mentioned before and don't want to harp on this, but, feel I must again mention the vapor/moisture factor regarding condensation and/or (God forbid) leakage where water may collect in, on, or around insulation. So… I just want to caution there probably should be plenty of ventilation opportunities for any moisture to exit via evaporation factors.

If ever required, for any foreseen or unforeseen reason, forced-ventilation warm/hot-air flow through affected insulated area may be needed and could be possible via space heater and commercial vacuum cleaner. You might want to take that factor into consideration as you build ventilation factions into floors, walls, ceilings.

I keep hearing a SPLASH in my ears when waking… Must be your AXE hitting the water for her first time! How exciting!!!

Cheers!– Art

PS:Thanks so much for your continuing photos and edits that enable us all to vicariously live the Birth of AXE with you and Flic.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. H. Not only a monumental thread (1695+ posts) but a monumental accomplishment thus far. Monumental AND commendable! It's been mentioned before but have you been keeping track of the weight of the materials you're installing?

Last edited:
Hey Matt – Looken Rally Good!

With that much insulation your AXE will be either the warmest or coolest boat on thewater. We already know it is Simply TOO COOL! - LOL

What brand insulation you installing? I know it's been mentioned before and don't want to harp on this, but, feel I must again mention the vapor/moisture factor regarding condensation and/or (God forbid) leakage where water may collect in, on, or around insulation. So… I just want to caution there probably should be plenty of ventilation opportunities for any moisture to exit via evaporation factors.

If ever required, for any foreseen or unforeseen reason, forced-ventilation warm/hot-air flow through affected insulated area may be needed and could be possible via space heater and commercial vacuum cleaner. You might want to take that factor into consideration as you build ventilation factions into floors, walls, ceilings.

I keep hearing a SPLASH in my ears when waking… Must be your AXE hitting the water for her first time! How exciting!!!

Cheers!– Art

PS:Thanks so much for your continuing photos and edits that enable us all to vicariously live the Birth of AXE with you and Flic.

Hi mate.
Thanks for your message. I'm using Earthwool insulation. It's rot proof and has a 50 year warrantee and won't grow mould or fungi.

Only the best for my baby

Below link will give you the specs :)

http://www.knaufinsulation.com.au/en-au/insulation/earthwool-home-insulation.aspx

Greetings,
Mr. H. Not only a monumental thread (1695+ posts) but a monumental accomplishment thus far. Monumental AND commendable! It's been mentioned before but have you been keeping track of the weight of the materials you're installing?

Hi mate.
Thanks for your message and words of support. Not the weight Persè but I have kept a spreadsheet of what has been used in the superstructure so with a bit of work I can add up the weight of the cabin

Might be a bit late to start adding up the weight. Not being a NA, I would plonk her in the water, add fuel and water and see what I got. If she hasn't turned over, you can add ballast as required :) How long to the big splash?

Might be a bit late to start adding up the weight. Not being a NA, I would plonk her in the water, add fuel and water and see what I got. If she hasn't turned over, you can add ballast as required :) How long to the big splash?

Thanks Blue. There's a more weight down below than up top so I'm not too worried. There's always an element of uncertainty but I won't know till she's launched. I'll have sand bags at the ready tho lol.

I was hoping for a Dec launch but I'm thinking Feb/Mar is more realistic.

What's NA stand for?

My guess is "Naval Architect"

Fitted the wall panels, cut the access hatch for the fuel filler hose on the starboard side and cut the access hatch for the water filler hose. I also finished the last of the VJ ceiling boards.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433153106.054102.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433153118.021542.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433153130.705769.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433153146.507080.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433153161.641381.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433153175.056281.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433153197.845853.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433153209.742630.jpg

Matt,
Tell me it isn't so .....
Looks like the fuel filler port is actually inside the boat.
Is this opening going to be closed off or ? ......

Haha I was waiting for it haha.

No mate that's just where the filler hoses comes up through from the tanks. The filler necks will be on the gunwale outside. The water is on the Portside and the Diesel is on the Starboard side

...The filler necks will be on the gunwale outside. The water is on the Port side and the Diesel is on the Starboard side
Smart putting the water and diesel fills opposite sides, could mean you need to watch weight balancing, but you`ll have thought of that. Are the fillers to be above deck level, unlike mine but like later IGs, a set up I envy?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom