Moving from Sail to a Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Racer mode

I've not raced her. However, as we were sailing across like okochobee with the roller furling genoa and mizzen sail only, the captain reached hull speed and howled, " now I see how the b-40 got its world class reputation." We sure have gad a lot of wonderful memories on that boat. We've sailed north to Maine and back to florida several times. We love going off shire engender weather permits. I don't mind the confines of the dismal swamp but I sure as $&@? Prefer being far far away from land.

Another big bonus with twin engines is that you shouldn't need a bow thruster, as you can spin the boat on its axis. It's important to eliminate things like thrusters, generators, air conditioning, freezers and the like when you can. That second engine is my exception.

A thruster is many times less expensive than a second engine.

Ok......I'm over the edge with curiosity here??? After 30 years of listening to my sailboater neighbor (who I share a slip with) calling my boat a " stink pot", griping every time I roll an engine, complaining about engine noise, diesel smell, etc. What is with all you ex-sailboaters buying diesel trawlers??

I always thought that would be like an ice cubes chance in hell??
:ashamed:
LB

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Saturday 15th of October 2011 08:08:29 PM

I bought my trawler partly because it was a project I wanted to do while I still could and partly because sailing was starting to become more physically demanding than I liked. I upgraded my sailboat to electric winches which helped with the physical demands, but due to a shoulder injury I still end a sailing day in pain, which doesn't happen with the trawler. Right now I have both a sailboat and a trawler, but the long term plan is to sell the two boats and buy a large trawler. I also find maintaining the trawler to be less work than the sailboat.

Ok......I'm over the edge with curiosity here??? After 30 years of listening to my sailboater neighbor (who I share a slip with) calling my boat a " stink pot", griping every time I roll an engine, complaining about engine noise, diesel smell, etc. What is with all you ex-sailboaters buying diesel trawlers??

I always thought that would be like an ice cubes chance in hell??
:ashamed:
LB

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Saturday 15th of October 2011 08:08:29 PM

The psychology of sailboaters is something that I ponder with interest. I think, to some degree, it is a form of guilt. Things are just too easy in this world. They think they need to do great work in order to get just a little work in return. Watch how a sailor will brag about the LACK of time on his generator??? They have to suffer to be happy!!!

I also think it is overzealous passion mixed with stubbornness and maybe a touch of ignorance. Look at how many blue water sailboats there are in most marinas. And not a single one does much if any blue water sailing. That is the overzealous passion I am talking about. Buying a boat relative to their dreams and not reality. I have a friend that will not buy a trawler. His wife is begging for one. And every trip he goes on his engine is running and rarely sails. But to each their own.

We just returned from a recent trip where one of my friends was bragging about sailing while not burning a drop of fuel(like we were). To which my other friend replied, "You might want to consider hitting your thumb with a hammer to be truly happy!" They just can't be happy without a little misery!!!

Ps...I owned three sailboats before power. I bought my first trawler at 33yo. I evolved early!!!

I don't concern myself with this sailboat versus motorboat issue. Done both, first with sailboats and now a motorboat. Each, at their time, fit my needs. ... Pays your money and takes your choice. Choose the boat you like; don't mind me. ... Regardless, my interactions with boaters (both rag-merchants and stink-potters) have been congenial. I don't mind a little ribbing (goes both ways) as well as give and take.

The psychology of sailboaters is something that I ponder with interest. I think, to some degree, it is a form of guilt. Things are just too easy in this world…….Look at how many blue water sailboats there are in most marinas. And not a single one does much if any blue water sailing……...I have a friend that will not buy a trawler. His wife is begging for one. And every trip he goes on his engine is running and rarely sails……..
We just returned from a recent trip where one of my friends was bragging about sailing while not burning a drop of fuel(like we were). To which my other friend replied, "You might want to consider hitting your thumb with a hammer to be truly happy!"

:lol: That is just so true. Out here in Moreton Bay, even when the yachts do go out, whenever we pass them they are almost always under motor power. Mind you, Moreton Bay is like that - lots of narrow channels with shoals either side - and/or the wind in the wrong direction, so you couldn't tack anyway quite often. But even when they have a following wind, it's too much hassle to unfurl, so they keep motoring, with sail covers on. I have to admit this feature was what convinced us to sell our yacht and later go to diesel cruiser. That, and the fact it is much easier to escape the blazing sun in summer. Yachts are much more exposed. Just one thing though…I don't feel the slightest bit guilty. :D

Yes, one of the definite benefits of a trawler is to operate the boat enclosed in a pilothouse. I've spent more than enough time in an open cockpit with its exposure to the elements. I too observe sailboats as often as not motoring rather than sailing.

Is the original poster now confused as to what hull type how many engines etc. There are many good boats of each type with many owners happy with their boats. Since you do not have the experience with these factors its hard to place priorities on them and doing so from hearsay is confusing since you will get conflicting advice. It might be best to look at well established boat models in your size range and see what you and your partner fall in love with. The fuel burn, number of engines and type of props and anchor type at this point are probably insignificant other than their value at prompting opposing posts. Because I have been boating a long time and have turned over boats often and owned multiple boats at once I have developed specific preferences. But these preferences are mine and relate to my boating and would not necessarily relate to the OP. So fall in love with your next boat use it and build your own priority list.

As far as seeing sailboats motoring goes, I think it comes down to time. We boat out of a location that is a destination for lots of people. So, we see a lot of visiting boats every season. Most of those visitors are on vacation and out for their annual 1-2 week cruise. They have destinations planned for each day. Not a problem with a powerboat, but sailboats generally can't make set destinations if they sail. So in order to make it to the next harbor on goes the engine and the sailboat becomes a rather cramped, but very fuel efficient, trawler.

Personally, when I cruise on my sailboat I don't have specific destinations in mind. I just go where the wind lets me go. There are literally hundreds of anchorages within 50 miles, so why worry about a specific destination. If I want to go to a specific place I take the trawler.

As far as seeing sailboats motoring goes, I think it comes down to time. We boat out of a location that is a destination for lots of people. So, we see a lot of visiting boats every season. Most of those visitors are on vacation and out for their annual 1-2 week cruise. They have destinations planned for each day. Not a problem with a powerboat, but sailboats generally can't make set destinations if they sail. So in order to make it to the next harbor on goes the engine and the sailboat becomes a rather cramped, but very fuel efficient, trawler.

Personally, when I cruise on my sailboat I don't have specific destinations in mind. I just go where the wind lets me go. There are literally hundreds of anchorages within 50 miles, so why worry about a specific destination. If I want to go to a specific place I take the trawler.

Which gets back to my overzealous passion and dreams versus reality. Their dream is to sail everywhere. The reality is they don't have the time. In the end, many sailors, not all, are not being honest with themselves and how the boat will be used. So reality does not match the dream and the boat sits and they dream fades.

"In the end, many sailors, not all, are not being honest with themselves and how the boat will be used"

Thats why the 90/90 fully powered motor sailor was invented.

Most inshore cruising ,the full sized engine will perform with any displacement boat of the same LWL.

If the owner gets ambitious the sail boat scantlings are fine for blue water , and the range under sail is unlimited.

IF set up properly the engine can operate 2-3 hours every 3 -4 days to provide the lifestyle requirements.

No harm from underloading as the engine can be in gear to raise the load.

The best of both worlds , but the crew usually lives IN the boat , not on the boat , motorboat style.

My observation; sailors who don't use their boats much or the boats are miss matched to actual use are the same people who do the same with motor boats. We all have our life styles and time demands and many buy boats based on mental imagery which may not match reality but it still may be important to the individual. People who live on their boats use them not always away from the dock and even here the match of boat to purpose often gets muddied by unrealistic mental imagery. People are complicated so even if there were such a thing as the right way it could never be applied with much success.

My observation; sailors who don't use their boats much or the boats are miss matched to actual use are the same people who do the same with motor boats. We all have our life styles and time demands and many buy boats based on mental imagery which may not match reality but it still may be important to the individual. People who live on their boats use them not always away from the dock and even here the match of boat to purpose often gets muddied by unrealistic mental imagery. People are complicated so even if there were such a thing as the right way it could never be applied with much success.

Fully agreed!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom