Thread: Wifi booster
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
Phyrcooler

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Angry WiFi rant warning...

Interesting that this thread popped up. We've been frustrated beyond belief with the horrible WiFi at our Marina in San Diego. Marina management advises "You can't expect much from a free service... so just use it to check your emails. It won't stream video or anything". REALLY? I can go to McFreakingDonalds and stream video. For free. This is 2015 people. Heck, most of the time I'd be thrilled to connect at any speed at my marina! Talking to several boat owners on my dock validates that I am not alone in my frustration. (To say nothing of my two 6 year olds!! )

The service is provided by Beacon Wi-fi... and they refuse to acknowledge that there are any problems with their system. Initially I listened to their service rep's BS. First they said it was because I was on an iPad. OK. Brought laptop. So slow... would time out before a login screen could appear. OH. You are too far away they said. You need to buy one of our $799.00 booster systems. Really? Then I figured out that I have one of their system antenna's about 50' away from my boat, (and a second about 100'!!) Yes. It is 50' away! OH... I'm sorry. You are too close they said. You need to buy our $799.00 booster so you can connect to one that is further away!

OK. Done ranting.

First, I will admit that I am not a wifi/WAN/LAN/FDIC/HIPAA... whatever acronym expert. Most of the threads I have found are not written in my simple man's English.

Best I can figure out is although I am sitting 50' away from their antenna, they send out such low power that even when sitting in my cabin full of windows... I can't receive it. Or, the low power of all my devices can't travel through glass to an antenna 50' away and in direct line of sight in order to communicate?

So, my questions:

Are our boats some sort of force field that my signal can't get out? My device can show "full bars" of connectivity, but not be able to access the internet or login. Other times after successful logging in, pages load so slowly that they time-out. Is this a wifi power issue, or a bandwidth problem?

So. Do I need to buy something like the WirieAP to make up for their low power system? Do I need go to the extent of having an antenna outside, or is there something like the Wirie that I can set on the counter under the windshield in front of the lower helm?

I've read some of the other threads regarding boat networks. Not sure that I need something like that. Or do I? I just need to bring in their signal and distribute it via wifi (router?) to our 4 devices.

Thanks!!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote