Bad docking day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are automotive equivalents of docking. The first that comes to my mind is parallel parking. I readily admit to hating it and avoiding it at all cost...
Well, the Pug 508 has dipping side mirrors, the selected side aims down so you can witness the exact moment the 19inch alloys grind into the curb.
A rule of cycling, esp mountain biking, is: look where you want to go, NOT where you don`t want to go, or that`s just where you will end up. Applies to boat parking too, I think.

Both Windows and OSX are based on varieties of Unix as is Linux and Android. Almost all internet software is based on the University of California Berkely networking extensions of Unix.

Windowing and the mouse actually came out of the Xerox Palo Alto Research Campus (PARC).

The advances of 45 years have mostly been in the graphics interfaces between the user and the kernel and the development of additional services such as the web. Cheaper and faster RAM and harddrives along with much faster and more highly integrated CPUs allowed the development of much larger and more sophisticated software. Where we are today in the computer world far exceeds where I thought we would be 45 years ago.

Now if boating software and hardware would just catch up a little....

Oh, sure. Now.

:)

Imagine what could have happened if early applications had been developed directly for Unix. No need for DOS, no need for Bill Gates... and the whole idea of a GUI might have begun maturing 10 years earlier... And Apple lovers might not have had to ever endure the tiny 9" displays...

Ah, well... Maybe I'll go see if I can 3-D print a boat or something...

-Chris

There are automotive equivalents of docking. The first that comes to my mind is parallel parking. I readily admit to hating it and avoiding it at all cost. I'd rather med moor than parallel park. Then for difficult docking, how about backing a tractor trailer between two walls with just inches on each side.

Full track tractor movements and twin screw boat handling (at slow, docking speeds) is not too different! :D

:)

Joking, but actually I could see printing even larger segments (say, for a hull) in a way that they can pop together like Lego's -- perhaps with a slathering of 5200 in each of the male-female joints. Piece o' cake.

-Chris

I don't know if you've seen how some of the bigger boat shops make hull molds but those that do it with a CNC machine, they take a rough foam block and it mills off the foam until it gets to what they want. It needs a lot of finishing work, but a CNC that will accept a 12' tall by 50' long block of foam is pretty amazing.

I am arresting the thread creep and bringing us back on track. Not because I am not enjoying it as is but, because I must share my last undocking experience.

We had to leave Yesterday for Miami. We are attending a business convention and using the boat as our hotel. Why not, right?

Anyway, after the nightmare two weeks ago, I must admit I was a little afraid when the time came to depart. This was compounded by 15 knot winds from the NE which would blow us right off the dock down the narrow fairway.

So, an hour before departure I prayed for the Lord to give me just a ten minute break in the wind. And so I waited.

Thirty minutes later, a man came by the boat and remarked how nice she was. He is taking care of a couple of other boats in the marina. As we talked I just happened to mention I was preparing to depart but that the wind had me very worried.

"Well", he said, "I am a 500 ton master. I can help you with a couple of hand spring lines from the dock here." And so he did. It was the smoothest take of to date!

I asked the Lord for a break in the wind. He sent me a Master Captain instead. I believe He knew I needed more than calm wind. I also believe He does answer prayer - I am so glad and humbled He answered mine yesterday.

Ok, creep on my good and dear friends. ?

Pleased for you. Will you return to the newly assigned berth, or has something changed there?
We can learn from the expertise of others, who are often willing to help, everyone has had to learn things. We may already have many of the required skills, but selecting the right move, or right sequence of moves,with the help of another source, can greatly accelerate the process. How that source became available to you may be wondrous to me, I`m glad it came to you.

"I asked the Lord for a break in the wind. He sent me a Master Captain instead. I believe He knew I needed more than calm wind. I also believe He does answer prayer - I am so glad and humbled He answered mine yesterday."

You never know how prayers will be answered, or who will but placed in your path (or sometimes get in your way, but that's another sermon-lol)

Great of him to offer to help.

OD

Pleased for you. Will you return to the newly assigned berth, or has something changed there?
We can learn from the expertise of others, who are often willing to help, everyone has had to learn things. We may already have many of the required skills, but selecting the right move, or right sequence of moves,with the help of another source, can greatly accelerate the process. How that source became available to you may be wondrous to me, I`m glad it came to you.

I do not know what we will return to. Given the current DM, probably same slip but, I feel more confident with each attempt. Whatever, we're gonna get her done!

FR, I'm glad your prayer were answered....now it's my turn. My boat splashes Wed but the Capt I've got coming to help refresh my skills won't be here until Friday afternoon. I haven't operated anything larger that a 14 ft skiff since my USCG days some 35 years ago, and the First Mate wifey has never handled lines.....getting to the local transient dock and tying up without smackin anything could prove exciting.

FR, I'm glad your prayer were answered....now it's my turn. My boat splashes Wed but the Capt I've got coming to help refresh my skills won't be here until Friday afternoon. I haven't operated anything larger that a 14 ft skiff since my USCG days some 35 years ago, and the First Mate wifey has never handled lines.....getting to the local transient dock and tying up without smackin anything could prove exciting.

Suggestions:

Tie up very well (with more than ample fenders and lines in place) at or very near where launched. Have experienced yard-hand assist for whatever reason. Then… spend time warming engines up. Then… spend considerable time still tied up firmly with engines at idle going through the gears and barely touching throttle... always returning to idle before shifting. This will begin to set into your mind and reflexes the actions the boat will take upon your shift and throttle positions. If you ever drove/handled full track construction or farm equipment the actions of a twin screw are considerably similar. If your boat has bow or stern thrusters get used to their actions/reactions too while still tied up... before trying to maneuver boat away from dock to new location. IMO... Seeing as no boat this size is in your background for handling your tied at dock initial "getting to know her" time span should be for an hour or three! If she’s single screw she will be a bit harder to handle once untied and away from dock… but the “getting to know you” sequence should still be first accomplished before leaving dock.

There are plenty of single screw and twin screw threads/posts regarding handling-circumstances in TF – use the search feature to locate. David Pascoe and others who are marine experts have articles/books available on the net regarding handling boats.

Some items to remember, for all newbies (such as yourself) as well as oldbies (such as myself):

- Don’t rush in boat handling
- Use only the power needed for a particular purposes… no more no less
- Gentle, Gentle, Gentle actions are what boats appreciate
- Importantly – Never, Never try to fend off a large boat such as yours with hands or feet – the tonnage can crush you / kill you! Better to let boat bounce a bit off something than to end up in emergency room or with sheet pulled over head on a gurney

I repeat – Gentle, Gentle actions are what boats appreciate… and you guys will too!!

Happy Boat-Learning Daze! - Art

Last edited:
Art. That is GREAT advice and I oh so much appreciate it! Yes, I'm wearing my fingers out searching/following/reading docking threads, also surfing the internet for vids both myself and my wife can watch. To clarify a bit, while I was in the USCG I was a qualified cox'n on 32' mlb, 41' utility, 44' mlb also heavy weather and surfman trained/qualified at Cape Disappointment, Or. Also underway qualified OOD on an 82' patrol boat, so I do have some experience albeit a loooooooooong time ago. Mon and Tue I'm going to spend all day on the boat familiarizing myself with systems, then, Wed at splash time I'm going to tie up while warming the engines. Once freed from the dock I plan on moving out a little way into open/clear water and play with tranny bumping on both engines so I get a feel how the boat reacts...all at idle of course. Then, when I've quit shaking at least a little bit, plan on heading to the nearby transient dock (which I will scope out today to see what I'm facing). I also plan on asking the yardmaster if he knows of a willing Capt to lend support. The Marina is pretty much next door to the yard. At least one experienced line handler, even if it's me while a Capt pilots would be a GREAT help. What do you (and other TFers) think of this approach?

Art. That is GREAT advice and I oh so much appreciate it! Yes, I'm wearing my fingers out searching/following/reading docking threads, also surfing the internet for vids both myself and my wife can watch. To clarify a bit, while I was in the USCG I was a qualified cox'n on 32' mlb, 41' utility, 44' mlb also heavy weather and surfman trained/qualified at Cape Disappointment, Or. Also underway qualified OOD on an 82' patrol boat, so I do have some experience albeit a loooooooooong time ago. Mon and Tue I'm going to spend all day on the boat familiarizing myself with systems, then, Wed at splash time I'm going to tie up while warming the engines. Once freed from the dock I plan on moving out a little way into open/clear water and play with tranny bumping on both engines so I get a feel how the boat reacts...all at idle of course. Then, when I've quit shaking at least a little bit, plan on heading to the nearby transient dock (which I will scope out today to see what I'm facing). I also plan on asking the yardmaster if he knows of a willing Capt to lend support. The Marina is pretty much next door to the yard. At least one experienced line handler, even if it's me while a Capt pilots would be a GREAT help. What do you (and other TFers) think of this approach?

Sounds like you've got it handled! Good Luck! Keep us posted. - Art

Greetings,
Mr. wy. Sound plan! Good approach! It's like riding a bicycle. With your experience, even a lifetime ago, it will ALL come back and I'd be very surprised if it didn't happen almost immediately. Once you can sense "...how the boat reacts..." you're home free and onto your next adventure.
Our first "large" boat (34'-previous experience was 15' max.) was launched I had one of the yard hands put her in her slip. My FIRST time, my VERY first time we left the slip, I played around in open water for about an hour the headed down river. Yes, VERY slowly as Mr. A counsels.
You'll do just fine. Trust me...

giphy.gif

Greetings,
Mr. wy. Sound plan! Good approach! It's like riding a bicycle. With your experience, even a lifetime ago, it will ALL come back and I'd be very surprised if it didn't happen almost immediately. Once you can sense "...how the boat reacts..." you're home free and onto your next adventure.
Our first "large" boat (34'-previous experience was 15' max.) was launched I had one of the yard hands put her in her slip. My FIRST time, my VERY first time we left the slip, I played around in open water for about an hour the headed down river. Yes, VERY slowly as Mr. A counsels.
You'll do just fine. Trust me...

giphy.gif

+1 ^

It'll come back quickly.:thumb:

. What do you (and other TFers) think of this approach?

I'm very impressed by your reservations and conservative approach. You're the type that doesn't have problems because you don't underestimate challenges. I think it will all quickly come back but the fact that you recognize it's been a while is most commendable. This contrasts so with the rookie who jumps in thinking they know it all or the one who went out with his dad a few times as a kid, 40 years ago, so is convinced he knows it all.

It's what I call a healthy respect. We always tried to show it and I think it keeps one out of trouble. You're not the type I expect to have problems. It's the one who thinks they can't who does.

Thank you all for your support and confidence. I truly appreciate it and I'll do my absolute best to not disappoint either you or myself. I'll be sure to let the forum know how it went, although, since I'll probably be a little preoccupied you probably won't get any pics/vids of the maneuvering! I will post a pic or two once she's neatly tied to the pier!

Its a yard so it will be Friday when you splash anyway :)

If you had of mentioned your reservations we could have played in the marina on my boat when you visited. Sorry I didn't think of it. All the above advice is good and just follow Jennie's orders and you will be fine.....

Thanks, and LOL Dimer....the original plan was for my adviser to be here Tuesday, hence no worries, however he now has some tow-boat work to do Tue/Wed/Thu that he didn't know about...sooooooooooooo boat splashes Wednesday, they fly in Fri afternoon. I can't really wait til they get here due to the fact that their plane lands at 330pm and the yard closes for the weekend by 5pm...cuts it a little close. Oh well, "Best laid plans of mice and men"...we'll handle it but I do appreciate the offer.

Thank you all for your support and confidence. I truly appreciate it and I'll do my absolute best to not disappoint either you or myself. I'll be sure to let the forum know how it went, although, since I'll probably be a little preoccupied you probably won't get any pics/vids of the maneuvering! I will post a pic or two once she's neatly tied to the pier!

Aww com on now... taint ya gona hire a camera crew!?!? - LOL

Hey Kev, might just be a coincidence but the guys here at the marina say they're missing a total of 38 fenders since your visit. Any ideas??

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gentle, Gentle! Boats appreciated that! :dance: :thumb: :D

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Oliver. He's out of the country, IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom