Anchorages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gonesailing13

Vessel Name
Graceful
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
Am in the process of moving our new to us boat from Punta Gorda Fla. to Baltimore Md. My problem is I lose all my crew when I get to Norfolk Va. I'm looking forward to a little time alone and not worried about single handing the boat, however I would like to split the trip into maybe three days. It's about 180 miles to Baltimore so would like to anchor out two nights. Not knowing that part of the Chesapeake thought someone might have some ideas.

Popular spots heading north include Deltaville (lots of services), The Solomons, and Rock Hall/Swan creek. The latter 2 have some nice anchorage areas. Some great anchorages in the Solomons area with dinghy access to some excellent restaurants, museums etc. Swan creek, across the bay and a bit more remote, (though you can dinghy in to Rock Hall for restaurants) , puts you about 1/2 day into Baltimore harbor.

Not real familiar with Deltaville, but others will chime in I'm sure.

Last edited:
Yep, Solomons and Swan Creek (Rock Hall), if you can make the first leg in one.

-Chris

Deltaville, Solomons and then Baltimore should be a good trip. The legs are approximately equal and the longest is probably the last one.

Go in the south side of Stingray Peninsula and anchor in Jackson Creek. As you approach going north from the bay it looks like you will run up on land but at the last minute you make a hard turn to port and work your way up the channel.

Solomons has lots and lots of anchorages. For quiet I like Mill Creek. For restaurants, provisioning, etc go up Back Creek and anchor off of the Holiday Inn and use their dinghy dock for a fee.

The trip from Solomons to Baltimore will be a long one, about 60+ NM to the Key bridge but all easy.

No point in stopping at Rock Hall as it is right across the bay from Baltimore.

David

+1 on Jackson Creek.

Going north from Norfolk, our first anchorage is always Sandy Point. Protected, great holding, very pretty, easy in and out. Surrounded by homes. Perhaps I shouldn't be sharing this. Last month we were the only boat there.

Our next stop is Mill Creek in Solomons. We anchor there and in the AM get fuel at Calvert Marina. Then on to Chesapeake City which is further than you will be going.

Howard

I vote for the Deltaville area also. I don't know what your draft is but the channel into Jackson Creek can be pretty shallow around low tide. If you happen to arrive around low tide or after dark, you can continue up the Piankatank River a short ways and anchor in Fishing Bay. It's well protected - friends have ridden out a hurricane there.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom