Marina ideas--Sanibel/Captiva area and Marco Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
We are leaving Longboat Key the 9th of June and heading for Key West. Looking for some marina recommendations. Thinking about stopping the first night somewhere around Captiva or Sanibel, and then Marco Island will be the next stop. The wife will be on the boat for the first time, so I don't want the days underway to be too long. She likes nice marinas with good showers, fun restaurants, beaches if possible, and some nightlife. Our reservations in the Keys are not until the 15th, so we have some time to linger/wait for weather.

Depending on how she feels, we will decide at Marco either to cut straight across to Key West or head to the Shark River area then Marathon then Key West. Since we have some time I think I would rather linger along the coast and explore as we head towards Marathon.

Any ideas? We chartered a boat years ago and cruised the Pine Island Sound and I remember it being really pretty, but I can't really remember any marinas. I think we stayed at Tween Waters one night.

Last edited:
Most deluxe is South Seas Plantation on Captiva. Next most is Tween Waters (have been to both only by land). Boca Grande is a fun stop, rent a golf cart, but a lot of the town does start shutting down for the season after Memorial Day.

Most deluxe is South Seas Plantation on Captiva. Next most is Tween Waters (have been to both only by land). Boca Grande is a fun stop, rent a golf cart, but a lot of the town does start shutting down for the season after Memorial Day.

:thumb::thumb: All the above are great. If you can figure out a contact and get into Usepa , you will love it. I would also hit Sanabel Island Marina. Maybe even anchor in Pelican Bay

We have been to Ft Myers Beach several times. Plenty of restraunts and marinas. We use the mooring balls and dinghy into town.

We have always enjoyed a stop at Sanibel Marina near the bridge. it has a good Restaurant and the beach is nice but a fair walk away.

I don't know what they have as far as showers and such, but the guys that run this place are long time residents of the island, and some of the greatest folks you will meet!

If the admiral would like, you can get off the boat and into one of the quaint little cottages there. You're also about 1/2 way between the bubble room and the green flash restaurants.
Hope the link works:

Jensen's Twin Palm Resort || Home || Mobile

I live about 30 miles from the following places so go often.

Tween Waters is the most fun. Great pool, good restaurant and across the road form the beach. A couple nights a week they have crab races at the more casual of their two restaurants. Sit at the bar for dinner and listen to the guy drum up the excitement for the crab races. He can talk over an hour about little crabs released on a table and racing to the edge. Insist on a side tie slip. You will see what I mean.

South Seas is the largest and fanciest. In the marina area there are three pools, a tike bar with $17 dollar drinks and plenty of people watching. The restaurant in the marina is way to expensive for what you get but there is a trolly that takes you one mile to the resort entrance. Some pretty good places to eat, especially the Green Flash and the Mucky Duck. Doc Ford's is good also.

Boca Grande has no pool and you have to share the bathrooms with the bar and restaurant customers. Not good. The town of Boca Grande is pretty nice. You can rent a golf cart at the marina for exploring.

Useppa is ultra private but if you know a member you can get in. Once you are there, however, there is absolutely nothing to do except sit around the pool or sit at the bar.

Tween Waters is by far our favorite.

There's a marina at, and another just next door to, the Marriott just on the east end of the Sanibel causeway... The next door one looked viable for your size, but we were just looking during a land visit, so no first-hand info.

-Chris

Thanks all.

I think I will try Tween Waters again. Love me some hermit crab races!
Also remember it being easy to walk to the beach.

What's the deal with requiring a side tie? I don't really remember the dock setup...

I'm 41' LOA and pretty narrow at 12'9". Draw 3'8".

Any recs for Marco Island marinas?

I'm looking at the AC reviews but I trust the TF member's views much more.

The only dock is configured like this: One long face dock that you side tie to on the east side. On the west side you back up perpendicular to this same dock. There are no finger piers and you have to stand on your swim platform and climb up a vertical ladder to get on the dock. PITA.

Ahhh. Gotcha. Thanks.

Naples....Ok, there are decent marinas on Marco and it's an ok place, but don't overlook Naples. It's a very nice area with great marinas.

Another place if it's ever along your path that we love is Venice. We've found it everything the name implies.

That's why there should be a TrawlerForum group in eBoatCards. What's coming next is the ability to sort reviews by group members first. With that, you could see the reviews from members of TrawlerForum that had been written.

You could then also sort by Nordhavn, Grand Banks, Pets Onboard, or other affiliations to highlight the reviews from members of specific groups.

This summer, the upcoming Locations app will be extended to show group members locations too. So you could then also ask to see only the locations of TrawlerForum members - see if someone was nearby, etc.

That's why there should be a TrawlerForum group in eBoatCards. What's coming next is the ability to sort reviews by group members first. With that, you could see the reviews from members of TrawlerForum that had been written.

You could then also sort by Nordhavn, Grand Banks, Pets Onboard, or other affiliations to highlight the reviews from members of specific groups.

This summer, the upcoming Locations app will be extended to show group members locations too. So you could then also ask to see only the locations of TrawlerForum members - see if someone was
nearby, etc.

That's a great idea

Naples....Ok, there are decent marinas on Marco and it's an ok place, but don't overlook Naples. It's a very nice area with great marinas.

Another place if it's ever along your path that we love is Venice. We've found it everything the name implies.

I'm not stuck on Marco Island so I will definitely check out the marinas in Naples. Thanks.

I'm currently driving from Texas to Florida so when I get to a stopping place I will check out some of the marinas on active captain in Naples. Will probably have more questions then.

Last edited:
Off Duty

I tried to respond to your p.m. but your inbox is full it seems.

I'm not stuck on Marco Island so I will definitely check out the marinas in Naples. Thanks.

I'm currently driving from Texas to Florida so when I get to a stopping place I will check out some of the marinas on active captain in Naples. Will probably have more questions then.

Naples has a plethora of good marina choices. First one in is the city dock. We haven't stayed there but it appears nice. Then you have Olde Naples Seaport and Naples Boat Club. We've docked at Olde Naples Seaport and at the same time met friends who docked at Naples Boat Club. Both were excellent. We have not been to the Sailing and Yacht Club or Koski's. We've also been to the Marina at Naples Bay Resort. It's a great place if you want the benefits of a full resort. Several aboard just had to take advantage of their spa.

I even have a AC cap for posting reviews on AC. So, in my case it is pretty much the same.

Your wife will enjoy Naples, Marco not so much.
Avoid shark river in summer unless you like mosquitoes.
Moss marine in ft Myers beach puts you in the middle of everything. Strong tidal currents suggest only docking near slack water.

Back
Top Bottom